Teenage mums - help!

natalie25

Reaction score
Hi,

I am part of the health visitng team in my area and want to set up a group for teenage parents / pregnant teenagers. I was hoping that you might be abe to give me some ideas of what sort of things you would all find interesting and usefull in this sort of group. What would you want if you had the choice?

Thread moved to 'Press and Research'.

Hi Natalie,

If you could introduce yourself a little more. Is this a NHS thing or more of a personal project?

Regards,
S.C>

hiya, I'm 16 + i am 29 weeks pregnant. if you would like to ask any questions etc. send me a private message, more than happy to help xx

Hi,

Sorry, yes it is an NHS thing. I am a community staff nurse with the health visiting team and would like to set up a group for young mums and or dads as I feel in the are aI work in you are undervalued and not enough usefull services are available.

I'm 18 and quite like the fact I'm not treated different or patronised by my midwife

I'm 18 and quite like the fact I'm not treated different or patronised by my midwife

I'm the same but I can see that a group like this could be welcomed by other, perhaps younger, teenage mothers who need a little extra guidance or support - or maybe just as someone to talk to; perhaps for teenagers who don't have the support of their family or partners, or who are uncertain about their options or their future...

I definately think it needs to be carefully thought out as to how it will be introduced; It could give off the impression that people don't think we (Teenagers) are capable or competent as parents... It would need to be done in such a way that teenagers are aware that it is there as a service for them, but they certainly don't have to attend and nobody thinks they have to... There's nothing wrong with accepting extra help when it's on offer and I think a group like this could be really great for connecting young mums and providing that extra bit of support and people to talk with outside of immediate family or health proffessionals.

Perhaps the group could be introduced as some sort of social meeting group where young mums can meet other young mums, with the addition of an adivce and support service from health proffessionals there if they need it?

Just a few of my immediate thoughts anyway :shrug:

I go to a group for young mums. It's mainly an art/activity group but not overly structured, so we can stop/start whenever we need to.. which is good for the babies. HVs come and sit in on the group, and we can go to them and talk/ask questions. I think it's main benefit is the social aspect rather than information. Maybe it would be good if you had things to do, and then occasionally got in guest speakers to talk about weaning, babyproofing house, first aid, baby massage, etc - can't think of any more right now but just a few suggestions. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->