Tell me about your Christmas Eve traditions

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
I just found out I don't have to work Christmas Eve after all!:happydance:

I LOVE Christmas Eve, I'm all about the anticipation and I'm looking for ideas to make it extra special. It'll be me, hubby and 3 year old DS.

We usually do new jammies but we already have our Christmas PJs as of the 1st December this year. We'll probably watch The Polar Express in the evening but what do you do in the morning/daytime?

On Christmas Eve morning we have our elf leave us a north pole breakfast along with a goodbye note. He also sneaks them their Christmas even boxes under the tree which they open in the evening. They get new jammies, a teddy as well as hot chocolate and reindeer food to sprinkle. We have a bath and watch the snowman and we also like to go outside when the space station thingy is heading over so they have seen santa flying through the sky. Then we go to bed very excited :D

Christmas Eve morning we get up and go for breakfast with Santa, big fry up, Santa comes and sits with us for breakfast and then talks to kids for a while then when they've finished eating they get a story and chocolate and then choose a toy, then decorate a cookie, we usually take the kids and my niece and nephew come too.

Home where the kids will watch a Christmas film while I cleans all floors etc, we make cinnamon buns and sausage rolls and just Potter about until daddy comes home from work, around dinner time (early dinner) we hear jingle bells out side our window and the boys go outside to check where it's come from and a box full of treats has magically appeared on the doorstep (mum and dad deliver this for me and run away haha) where they will then have a bath with new bath stuff and Jammie's etc and we will watch whatever DVD they get in their Xmas eve box with blankets and snacks, then the standard reindeer food sprinkles, sparklers outside, leaving cookies out etc x

We haven't any traditions yet so I've been scouring the internet reading other people's so I can build some for us. I think this is what we'll do. If the weather is good enough we'll have a family dog walk to start the day. After that we'll go to Toys'r'us (which is near our house) for half an hour or so as S loves visiting toy shops and I think it will help build the excitement. Then we'll go to really great local Chinese restaurant for lunch. After that we'll visit my parents, possibly after a stop at Smyths first. We'll bake cookies there and take some home for Santa and us.

We'll take a roundabout way home so we can admire the festive lights on people's houses one last time. Then at home we'll give S his Christmas Eve box, which has Santa's plate and cup, chocolates, popcorn, a book I made, a teddy, a new game, a movie, and a snowman bath bomb in it. Then it's time for S's bath after which we'll play the game together and watch the movie. I'm toying with the idea of getting a Christmas tea set and using it to make a hot chocolate bar.

In addition there is a Christmas eve facebook event that's supposed to do Santa updates all day, so I'll check that out. And if it's a clear night we'll go out to see the ISS going overhead. Then it's cookies out for Santa, book and bed. Hopefully followed by it not taking too long to get to sleep.

We always have christmas dinner on Christmas eve. Sound so strange but we love it that way, it makes it feel so christmasy and as we all still go to my mams for it it means she doesn't spend all day cooking it.

Normally we are travelling somewhere but this year we are staying at home. Need to pick up turkey between 8-10. Then will be finishing cleaning/tidying. Going to make mince pies with dd1 and family will arrive at some point in afternoon. Then we will have Chinese takeaway and put out mince pie, reindeer food etc before kids go to bed. Will probably do Christmas Eve bag in morning so dd1 can watch dvd when I'm cleaning.

I'm at work til lunchtime ish, will come home, go pick up DD and come home. Bake cookies for Santa, do Xmas Eve box. Once it starts getting dark we will go and drive around and look at all the lights and deliver our last few pressies to family. Come home, pj's on and maybe watch a film before bed :) Obvs doo stockings and cooking and milk before bed xx

We will get up like a normal day. I usually have my sisters 10 and 8 for my mum while she prepares for dinner the next day cleans the house sets her table up and all that sort of stuff. Then me OH and kids will pack a bag and go over to my mums for tea and to sleep. Then when kids are in bed we will all have dinner and drinks and wrap the last of the presents. Usually the stocking stuff.. I love Christmas with my big family!!!! It'll be me OH and kids then my mum step dad 2 brothers and 2 sisters then other brother and his girlfriend staying! It's gonna be crazy but can't wait

I love Christmas eve, sometimes I think it's even better than Christmas day, with all the anticipation. Our elf brings new pyjamas for the kids, and ingredients to make reindeer food, plus a thank you note for looking after him. We don't have any traditions for the daytime, as hubby and I are usually at work and the kids at nursery, but this year I am not working and now Hayden is at school he will obviously be home. Hubby is working, he usually finishes early but not sure what time, Zoe should be at nursery until 1pm, I did think about not sending her, but think I probably will and will use the time to do some cleaning and prep for the big day. Either way we will have the afternoon to do something fun and festive. Will probably just be Christmas movies, maybe once it gets dark we'll go for a walk or drive to look at people's lights. Probably pizza for tea, since that is the kids' favourite at the minute, and it's quick and easy. Might even order one in! Then the usual bedtime stuff - sprinkling the reindeer food, leaving out the mince pie and carrot, hanging the stockings, bubble bath, then ''The Night Before Christmas' for their bedtime story. I'd like to say hubby and I will then have a nice relaxing evening and get to bed early, but there is always some last minute wrapping to do and we are usually up past midnight sorting it all! Can't wait!

Last year was the first year we really had a Christmas Eve where ds1 was old enough to appreciate it and it was really chaotic so this year I'm hoping to change it to make it more relaxing/special.

On 23rd we're going to bake and decorate Christmas biscuits and I'm hoping to clean and tidy the house. On 24th I'm hoping we can be out for the day either visiting in laws or off some where Christmassy. Then home in time for tea and bath, after that they'll find their Christmas Eve boxes in their bedroom (this is our first year doing these) with new pj's, blankets, dvd, book and reindeer food in. We'll watch the dvd, put the food out for rudolf and mince pie and milk for Father Christmas then up to bed with their new story book.

When they are settled obviously stockings and presents come out. This year we're having a proper breakfast to kill some time so I'm going to set the table all out ready too

I love christmas eve too! Im on mat leave so no work this year either 🙊
We usually go to see the reindeer at the garden centre on christmas eve and santas elves leave the christmas eve box while were out. Tea is something simple like bacon butties and we then have a bath and put new pjs on then watch a film such as polar express. DS will go to bed around 7 and have a new christmas story and leave a mince pie and milk for santa. I then prep xmas lunch for an hour then DH and I chill until 10pm ish before putting out the pressies.
Im excited just thinking about it and really hope our new addition is here to celebrate with us by then 🎅

I love Christmas Eve, even though we don't do anything special, it's my favourite day of the year.
I'll strip the beds as soon as we wake up and put the bedding in the wash (hopefully should all be washed and dried before lunch).
I'll give the kids their breakfast and brush and mop the living room floor. Clean the kitchen after breakfast (was going to make biscuits but might do this the day before). The kids can have a play while I clean the downstairs toilet then i'll brush and mop the kitchen, hallway and toilet. Get washed and dressed, quick clean of the bathroom and en-suite and quick hoover upstairs.
We will pop to my mums for lunch and to help prepare the veg. We normally get home for around 3pm in time for OH to get in from work. FIL usually gets here at this time also but he has been unwell lately so will be staying at his sisters instead.
The kids will have their dinner, we will have baths and get into our new pj's. We will all watch a film together and have sweets. Put out the santa treats and then story and bed for the kids. OH will go and pick up our chinese take away while I'm doing bedtime. Once we have eaten and washed up we will put the presents out.
I can't wait for Christmas Eve now.

I work during the day. :( But DH will be home with the girls. I plan on having our Christmas fairy leave out a big breakfast of pancakes, bacon or sausage, etc. and a small package of reindeer food and maybe some Christmas plushes for the girls to find. DH will choose what to do with them otherwise while I'm at work, probably watch Christmas movies all day if I know him. :haha:

When I get home we'll make cookies for Santa, order chinese for dinner (or maybe I'll just bring it home with me if it'll be easier) and then head out to church for the candlelight service they have on Christmas Eve, it's so pretty with the sanctuary filled with people, lights out and candles flickering while we sing carols, etc. After the service we'll stay for a bit and chat, have some snacks and tea/coffee and then head home. Once home the girls get to open one present under the tree (always new pajamas lol), say goodbye to the fairy until next year, put out cookies and milk for Santa and then head to bed where our bedtime story will be, like always, The Night Before Christmas.

When the girls are in bed DH and I watch It's a Wonderful Life, have some wine, wrap the end of the gifts and place them under the tree, fill stockings, etc. If I have time I might start cooking for Christmas dinner, mix up the dough for the rolls, get a pie crust made...in hopes of making it easier during the day.

Both me and hubby work on Christmas Eve boo! I think I only work until 2 or so but I will have to take a bus home so wont get home until 3 or later. We will probably either order out for supper or have something easy. Colin will get an Xmas Eve box with pjs, dvd, new book and a few other things in it.

Don't really have any traditions as such.
This year me and OH will pack up everything into the car in the morning and drive over to my mums. Leave the car and go to see a show in London - I can't wait!!

We need to pick up my MIL's birthday cake and a bunch if flowers for her birthday on boxing day.

Then we will come home, have a party food buffet at my mums, probably play some board games, sleep and then Christmassssssss!

xx

Our traditions are fairly new as have only had Christmas at home the last few years.

We will have a nice breakfast of salmon ams eggs then lazy day indoors watching DVD (I do like the idea of a walk so may walk to our historic high street for a hot chocolate) around 4pm I'll give the girls their Christmas eve box with new PJ's and a dvd (plus other bits). In the evening we'll have an easy dinner like pizza, vwg and onion rings (dds fave). Bath and bedtime around 7. This year we have to build a toy kitchen so hoping that doesn't take alll night and they go to bed on time. :)

At my parents/grandparents we used to have various visitors pop by like aunties and uncles, sadly a few of them have passed away now but we used to get to open their presents on Christmas eve which was always exciting. :)

Oh and I must remember the snacks for Santa. I forgot last year and was devistates, this year DD1 will be of an age to remember what we are doing.

Plan for this year is to give the girls their shared Christmas eve bag in the morning then just watch have a chilled morning watching a Christmas film and reading books or whatever til lunch :) When DD2 goes down for her nap i'll make reindeer food and biscuits for Santa with DD1 and when she wakes up we'll head to OH's mums for the afternoon. We'll open the presents from her there and have dinner (some sort of takeaway) and i'll bring the Snowman and Father Christmas to watch afterwards. Then home to put out Santa's drink and biscuit then bath, story and bed for the girls so I can prepare everything ready for the morning :D

Normal working day for hubby, but hoping he'll manage to finish a bit earlier.

Me and J normally slouch around in our pjs eating chocolate and watching xmas films. I'll do the last bits of housework and then we'll go for a walk :).

Then we'll give xmas eve pressies in the evening .

My DH is off work so that will be nice :) We will probably watch some Christmas films in the day and then in the evening Holly loves leaving out a mince pie for Santa and a carrot for the reindeer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->