Tens machine question!

Munchkin30

1 DD,2 losses, Pregnant!!
Reaction score
Hey all,
I dug out my tens machine today which has brand new pads and I also replaced the batteries. The screen display is fine but when I touch the pads I can't feel anything?? How do you test it??

Thanks all xxx

I tested mine on my arms cos you r not meant to use them til you are 37 weeks. Will try it on my back tomorrow as I will be 37 weeks then. I also got my husband to test it lol try that! He said it was like being electrocuted bloody wuss 😉 x

Well I'm 39 weeks but wouldn't want to risk it would we!?! Best try it out on the man later ;)

Apparently you can use it to try and build up your natural pain relief endorphins before you go into labour? That's what my midwife told me anyway. It shouldn't make you go into labour but will just get you used to it before you really need it I think. But yeah try it out on the man always a safer option lol 😜

I tested mine at about 38 weeks, I tested it on my back.. wasn't aware you weren't meant to use it before a certain time in your pregnancy (Not that I have)

I meant to ask my MW about that today. I don't have one, but want to use one during labor. So glad you all mentioned it. Does it help? I know it did when I hurt my ankle.

I'm sure you'll be ok to test it out - when I went to my NHS antenatal classes a couple of weeks ago the midwife running it brought a TENs machine along and encouraged us to feel it so we knew what it did, what it feels like etc. I was only 28 weeks and she told me it was fine to feel it - we just touched the pads with our hands though, didn't try putting it on our backs yet.

I'm not sure if you've used one or not before, but if not then it may be worth mentioning that you do have to touch both pads at the same time to complete the circuit for the current to flow through or you won't feel anything. A lot of the ladies at our class didn't realise that and were only touching one pad and were confused that they couldn't feel it.

My instructions say to test mine on my arm as part of the setting up process so maybe that's a good place to experience by. Having said that my niece and 2 nephews had great fun daring each other to try the higher settings when we first brought it so maybe you could find some willing volunteers!!

Dini can you get those in the US?

One of my US friends used one in labour a couple of years ago, but she did say that the UK has a better range of maternity models because the only ones she could find in the US were standard TENs units and not specific maternity models - they didn't have the boost buttons for extra pain relief during contractions and they only had 2 pads instead of 4. If I remember correctly I think she ended up ordering one from UK and paying the extra shipping, but it might be different now as it was a couple of years ago x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->