Term time Holidays - will they reverse it?

shanny

mother of 4 and an angel
Reaction score
Being a cynic I wonder if they will change the recommendations for term time holidays with a new Education secretary??? Pre election?

Nope, they won't...

quote from the Sunday Times interviewing Nicky Morgan:

Morgan rejected growing calls to ditch rules to punish parents who take their children out of class during term time, declaring that the policy "sends a firm signal". "For every day or half-day that a child misses [school], it does affect their education. From the prime minister downwards, we have made it clear that being in school during term time is the best place for children to be. I'm really clear that will continue."

Nope, they won't...

Morgan rejected growing calls to ditch rules to punish parents who take their children out of class during term time, declaring that the policy "sends a firm signal". "For every day or half-day that a child misses [school], it does affect their education. From the prime minister downwards, we have made it clear that being in school during term time is the best place for children to be. I'm really clear that will continue."

And so they shouldn't! School is school, there are plenty of weeks for a holiday.

If people just need to save more money or if they can only afford once every 2/3 years then so be it.

Its not as simple as that though is it?

What about long weekends for family weddings? or people who cant take holidays in the school holidays?

I think there are educational and experience opportunities that are being denied by this new policy

It is also encouraging a 'call in sick' culture

Yes I think you need to have good attendance to take term time holidays - but I think the real issues of attendance are not being dealt with - this is an easier option

I agree school is school but the ruling is too harsh. We will Never be able to afford to take our children on holiday if it stays the way it is. Why the hell should I pay 3 or 4 times over the odds? I'd never just take them out coz I fancy taking them out for the day. This is what School holidays are for. Either they sort out the holiday companies price structure or they are more lenient on parents with children who have a good attendance record!
This government is bonkers.
Something needed to be done about those parents who constantly allowed there children to take time off school, but why should we all be tarred with the same brush?

Nope, they won't...

And so they shouldn't! School is school, there are plenty of weeks for a holiday.

If people just need to save more money or if they can only afford once every 2/3 years then so be it.

The problem is not just a case of affording it.....

We can afford it and then some. However, due to DH's shifts, his annual leave is dictated to him. He doesn't have the luxury of picking & choosing when he takes his leave.

This year, we have been lucky, he is off in August so we are going away. Next year is a different story. If we want to go away, then sorry but bollocks to the 'rules,' we will be going away.

All my family lives in Holland (I'm Dutch). It would take us a year to save for a 'holiday' to visit my daughters grandparents during school holidays. There is no chance we'd be able to afford an actual holiday and a family visit. I feel bad enough that my daughters only have my MIL & BIL as family, would I have to deny them their Dutch family and / or a real holiday because of this ruling? I say it's bollocks.

We've always said that if it comes down to it, we'll home school.

It's a lazy regulation change. It's not as black and white as school is school.

My husband isn't able to pick when his annual leave is in his current posting, also, when deployed or going away during long periods he will be granted leave before and after, I will be damned if I will be dictated to as to whether my children can spend time with their dad before he goes away for 6 months (sent by the government no less) as it happens I *think* military children are exempt in such scenarios although I hope this isnt just for deployment as there is still a lot of absence that isn't officially deployment. Obviously we would put the needs of our children first so wouldn't just take them willy-nilly with no thought to their education, but it should be our decision to make. I know what is in their best interests and do not like the fact that because some parents are incapable of making good decisions I am having the decision taken from me.

We might be protected, but I don't think it is fair other people aren't my dad couldn't pick annual leave often when growing up.

Lazy. Controlling. Draconian. Poorly thought out.

I agree with the majority, defiently not just a case of school is school.

We've always gone in the summer holidays because we can but if for some reason next year OH couldn't get any time off during them I certainly wouldn't be letting them dictate to me whether I could basically have a holiday or not.

I think they need to take a few things into consideration, mainly a child's attendance for the rest of the year. Both my kids are well into the 90% mark and I know that 5 days extra isn't going to make much of a difference. I get that there are parents that need that extra 'push' to get their kids into school more than they should be but really don't see why the rest of us should suffer. It really should be a case by case decision.

Also to add, for me personally it would still work out cheaper for me and OH taking the fine and having a holiday abroad rather than going in the summer holidays, so pretty pointless IMO.

We have 4 kids so not sure if it's the same for everyone but have heard a few mums up the school mention this.

Also to add, for me personally it would still work out cheaper for me and OH taking the fine and having a holiday abroad rather than going in the summer holidays, so pretty pointless IMO.

We have 4 kids so not sure if it's the same for everyone but have heard a few mums up the school mention this.

It would be the same for us. I have 1 School age child & 1 starting nursery. We would pay the fine for Joshua (£120 I believe) but would save over £1000....

IMO, it was never introduced as a deterrent but more of a money making scam for the Government.

Same, even with fine we'll be much better off going outside of holiday times.

I totally get why they do it. It is extremely hard when a child misses even an hour to catch them up, and I don't have classes of 30 so can't even imagine how difficult that must be!

I was gonna say holiday companies should be regulated so they couldn't effectively discriminate against families with their prices, but then they'd just make all their prices higher so it's a no win situation really.

It makes sense why holidays are expensive in the school holidays, they have to increase prices during in demand times to make up for the short fall in off peak periods, frustrating but simple business really. Holiday companies obviously abuse it a bit but I don't think it is something that can be regulated really. It is heart breaking looking at price differences though, we want to go away next August.

I really hope it's reversed by the time Charlotte starts school. It has so much opposition. I don't know any parent in the real world (non internet) based who supports it.

I absolutely refuse to believe having a week off school (if you otherwise have a good attendance), is going to have any serious impact on your education. Children are regularly off school for prolonged periods due to illness, and still do very well academically.

I also believe that a child can gain far more valuable life experiences on one annual holiday than they can in a week in school. My childhood holidays taught me so many life skills including meeting children from faraway lands, learning to row a boat, going rock climbing, kayakking, crabbing, go karting, the list goes on and on.

The government is trying to apply a one-size-fits-all solution to an entire population of different situations. Ridiculous policy. I hope they reverse it soon!

They won't but they bloody should. I don't know anyone in RL who supports it either, it's totally stupid. There are lots of parents who wouldn't take their children out of school for anything and who have never needed to - fine, that's your decision and it works for you. But there are some who don't have the luxury of deciding when they have time off from work, who can't tell their relatives not to get married or pass away during term time, who will just never be able to afford to take their children on a holiday out of term time without spending years saving for it etc. Aslong as a child's attendance stays above a certain percentage and parents help them catch up I don't see how it's anyone else's business.

I think it's ridiculous also although as yet it doesn't affect dd school, I'm not sure if it has been rolled out in Scotland. Me and OH discussed what will happen when we get married as it will be Friday with it being £1000 cheaper than a Saturday 😱. I'd be paying the fine for one day and she doesn't take any other time off.

A lot of schools in our local area have been making the half term in October or Feb to two weeks (instead of having random inset days) to give families a chance to get away then when prices are not raised for normal school holidays.

I think having a blanket policy is silly and school should be allowed to grant leave on case by case basis depending on why leave is needed and if the attendance is above a certain %.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->