Terrified of blighted ovum

M

MummytoSummer

Hey guys,

As the title says really, I'm absolutely terrified that all I've got is an empty sac and no baby.

Going by my lmp I'm 6+2 so still very early on. I have no symptoms at all except needing the toilet slightly more frequently and feeling nauseus on and off. I had no symptoms in my previous pregnancy either though.

Anyway when I was pregnant with my dd I got a dating scan as I wasn't sure of my dates, but this time I'd been tracking my cycles so I knew when my last af was and so won't get a dating scan. The first time I get a scan will be 12 weeks. I'm really scared of waiting all that time to find no baby because before I fell pregnant with my dd my husband and I had a happy accident and I fell pregnant, I was sent for a scan to find out the sac was empty (they estimated I should have been 9 weeks). I'm so scared I'll have another blighted ovum but I don't think this will be a good enough reason to ask for an earlier scan will it?

Also I was wondering if anyone knew if I did have a blighted ovum could I really get all the way to 12 weeks without realising it? I know I'm probably worrying over nothing but I still can't shake the feeling and I just can't bear to wait another 6 weeks to know if everything is ok!

Anyone else feeling the same or experienced a blighted ovum?

Happy and healthy 9 months to you all!

X

Hey hun, I had some brown bleeding last weekend so I had an early scan on Tuesday. According to my dates (and I've been tracking my cycles for 2 years in preparation for TTC!!) I should have been 7 weeks yesterday. At my scan it turns out I'm about 5/5.5 weeks. The sonographer just said to me, basically you never know how long the little fertilised eggy is floating around in your uterus for. So therefore LMP dates don't really help you very much at all for dating pregnancy accurately!

In terms of blighted ovum, I know how you feel because the sonographer said to me that she couldn't really see a bubs because everything is still so tiny, so it's just a matter of waiting til next scan in 2 weeks. It is TORTURE.

At the end of the day you just have to try and live your life and not worry too much (easier said than done I know). Just sit tight and trust that everything is ok unless you're told otherwise. LOTS OF LOVE AND LUCK XXXXXXXXXXX

I have had a blighted ovom before and i am terrified about it, i have my 12 week scan on monday i do feel pregnant. I would say do you as you are feeling sick and peeing, still early days i am sure the rest will come. all i can say is that i have tried to remain positive throughout my pregnancy so far i have had 2 MC also and an eptopic but just keep telling myself not to stress and to think positive for my and bean i wish you a happy and healthy 9 months x

your 12 week scan is the dating one. i had a blighted ovum we found out as i was bleeding,should have been 8 weeks but scan showed empty sac.

Ask your midwife if you really are worried that stress is not going to be good for your baby so let them know your worries they won't turn you down they want the best for you and your baby as well!!!
If you can't get one or don't wanna ask go private to put your mind at rest xx

I'm due to see my midwife for the first time at 8 weeks so I think I'll mention my worries to her then. If I get a scan like before then great and if not then I guess I'll try to just keep myself busy with other stuff up until my 12 week scan! I do have my daughters 1st birthday, a trip to see take that at wembley, a christening where I'm godmother, my birthday and my mums birthday in between now and then so hopefully I'll be pre occupied!

Thank you for all your replies and words of advice!

X

Hi there {{hugs}}.

You can't go by symptoms (or lack thereof) for a blighted ovum. I had a blighted ovum in Jan/Feb, and I felt very pregnant - and very bad with nausea..etc.

I was at 10 weeks, when we medically induced a m/c. I do know you can go to 12+ weeks before your body realizes that the baby isn't really there anymore.

This time, and we are exactly the same point along, I don't have that many symptoms, and feel pretty great actually. I just got back from my OB, and my little one had a strong HB this time around :). So, the chances are that is is not a blighted ovum, and having had one before does in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY mean that you will have one again. They are pregnancy flukes. If you have already had your fluke, then you probably aren't going to have it again :).

According to my dr, midwife, and a few pregnancy books that I read, having more than one blighted ovum is incredibly rare. Good luck to you and your baby. If you tell the MW you are worried about the baby, she will probably do an ultrasound for you at your 8 week appointment.

my last pregnancy was a blighted ovum. i was diagnosed officially at 8 or 9 weeks, but suspected at 5.5 weeks. had so many ultrasounds checking on the development. i didn't want medical intervention to remove it so waited for the miscarriage to occur naturally. i ended up miscarrying at 13weeks.

this pregnancy though i have a baby and everything is fine!

I agree with xdxxtx, I've read that having more than one blighted ovum is extremely rare. My first pregnancy was a blighted ovum, found out by ultrasound at 8 weeks, and I wanted to miscarry naturally rather than a DNC, I went to 10 weeks. If you are really concerned, get a private scan done, the peace of mind will be worth it. I don't know if the midwives in the UK use a doppler at each visit, but my Dr. used one to hear the heartbeat of my current baby at 10 weeks. So maybe that's another option? (Although Idk if it would be to early to hear at your 8 week appointment). Praying you have a healthy growing baby in there! I know the wait is torturous!

We paid £99 for an early scan at Babybond and it was worth every penny, we went at 7 weeks and saw a heartbeat. And the place was lovely, so much nicer than going for the NHS scan. I wish I could afford to have all my scans there! If you can afford it I'd highly recommend it.

I wanted to share my story to all those worried preggers out there. Although if a dr says that you may have a blighted or do have a blighted ovum, u might have, buuut u also may not. The way I saw it is hope for the best, expect the worst. Last year i had a stillborn, it was the most horrible experience of my life, she was born at 6 months. 8 months later, I am pregnant again (yay!) given what I had gone through, as soon as I found out i was preg,i went to get an ultrasound. Got a call from my drs new years day asking me to come in, it was something in regards to the ultrasound. At that point I knew it wasn't good. I went in and just as expected the dr said the technician could not see anything but a yolk sac...he said he will send me in for another ultrasound in 10 days because the dates might be off. but he marked blighted ovum on the requisition form..... According to the first ultrasound, I was 6 weeks, and USUALLY not all the time, but normally they should see something in there via trans-vaginal ultrasound. Given what had happened to me i was certain it was a blighted ovum despite all the positive stories, not everyone gets that happy ending. Plus my symptoms were not that strong, very little nausea, if any. And, to make matters worse I had spotting for two days! Yet, although i expected the worse I continued to take care of myself until the day of the ultrasound. well, what happened yesterday blew my mind, on that screen there was a baby! and a beating heart, i honestly did not think that would happen for me. the baby actually measured only 6 weeks, meaning the last ultrasound measured the sac wrong, or it was just off. lesson learned for me was don't even bother with an ultrasound until 8 weeks. Plus, if you have a tilted uterus like me give it a few ultrasounds, id say max until 10 weeks. because u never know where that baby can be hiding or how off your dates can be. Just wanted to share this with the people that may be going through the same thing as me, u just never know, always better to check and get that second opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->