Tests for spina bifida

Lil_Gem_1989

Reaction score
What tests are available to check for things such as spina bifida? I'm guessing they can detect it at 20 week scan but was wondering if theres anything i can do before then? As theres been 2 cases of spina bifida in my family history xx

In Canada, we have the IPS (integrated prenatal screening) where they measure the NT by ultrasound between 11 and 13 weeks and then two blood draws. The first between 11 and 13 weeks and the second between 15 and 17 weeks. Its supposed to give an idea for chromosomal abnormalities and spina bifida. I'm sure the UK must have something similar :flower:

Here in the US we do a NHS scan between 12 and 14 weeks to test for chromosomal issues. You should ask your health care provider about that option.

I think it's 20 week scan that they check for it, I had mine last week and the sonographer had trouble getting baby in the right position to get a good view of the spine. That's the first I'd heard it mentioned.

have you had your booking appointment with the mw yet? she will take a fll family history at that appointment - in the meantime make sure youre taking your folic acid and prenatal vitamins

My first midwife appointment is next week, i'll be almost 10 weeks then! No idea when i'll have my first scan but it must be soon! As soon as i found out i was pregnant i was 5 weeks and got some stronger folic acid from my doctor so ive been taking 5mg of folic acid plus the pregnacare tablets each day. Just hope thats enough as the spine forms and closes between 21-28 days or something?! My first child is fine though so hopefully everything is ok this time round too, fingers crossed xx

sounds like you've taken all the advice and precautions you can at this stage - maybe ask for a telephone chat with the mw team just to double check ?

Yeh could do, id just like to find out as early as possible really x

I'm in the US and had a blood test called AFP (alpha-Fetoprotein) that tests for spina bifida. It's typically done b/t 15-20 weeks.

Thanks for your reply Scout, i have heard of this test - will ask about it at my midwife appointment on wednesday x

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone- I am high risk for spina bifida, as my oldest brother has it. I also inherited a gene mutation that causes my body to not process folic acid well. Consequently, I've been on massive amounts of folate for a while now!
My OBGYN scheduled me for a special high risk ultrasound one I reach 19 weeks so that they check for it.

My mum had a baby before i was born that had it and she only lived for 6 weeks (my sister) so does that mean im high risk too? Also my nanna's second baby had it and died at birth x

Yes, I think that means you're high risk, because of your mum's baby.

My brother is an intelligent, high achieving 36 year old with a career and a girlfriend. He just happens to be in a wheelchair. You can have spina bifida and still have a great quality of kife. I'm sorry about your sibling and cousin though!

Are you on folate? If not, I'd start taking some. I order mine through Amazon. I be,I've folate rudeness the risk. I take 4mg a day

Thats good that he doesnt have a very severe form of it. Yes as soon as i found out i was pregnant (around 5 weeks) i rang nhs direct and got some 5mg tablets of folic acid which ive been taking daily since then. I also take pregnacare tablets which contain folic acid and lots of other vitamins xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->