the big Christmas clean (and toy sort)

motherofboys

Reaction score
When does yours start? We moved in may but had a few big things happen that set back the sorting and still have boxes in every corner. We are now on track and the idea is to have finished decorating and have everything in its place by Christmas so I kind of feel that ours has already started. I'm being ruthless with the toys as I sort the boys rooms out too.

We have started over the last fortnight.
I have family coming from abroad for Christmas (actually my mother n her daughter who i havent seen in over 3yrs) so I just want everything perfect! We have bought some wallpaper and are FINALLY going to decorate our room (after 3 n a half years)
We are currently moving cupboards around in the kitchen and have got new plates, cutlery etc..
I'm trying to reorganise every room in time for Christmas. October n November all race past so I'm glad we're on it :thumbup:
AsI write this dh is cutting more shelves for the kitchen :thumbup: :happydance:

I really need to do this this year! Prefrerably before DS's birthday in November lol

My Christmas clean has started. Aiming to be done by the end of November.

when i have time :') i'm super busy lately. i still have decorating to get done and i need to apply for another loan to buy some new house bits and blinds but i want to get xmas presents out the way first as i'll be skint once i'm paying it back.

I did my first toy sort in the boys room yesterday. I'm doing a few this year as last year I felt bad chucking too much out so I ended up not achieving much, decided if I do a few toy sorts this year then even if I only throw a few toys away each time I should have made a fair bit of space by December. Yesterday I got one full bin bag out of their room which has left lots of space under beds for new toys :)
Doing DD's room on my day off on Thursday, that will be more of a clothes wardrobe sort out mind you as I have already chucked her baby toys just before her birthday in August so she only has the toys she got for her birthday xx

we usually do it in November :)

I've got 2 out of my 4s birthdays this month. I don't know why I thought a Sunday with them all home was the best time to sort the toys though. Ds3 had been taking things back out the bag lol

Already started in this house. OH decorated the kids bedrooms this week just gone, so both them rooms had a sort out and clean. Our bedroom got done yesterday. My living room half got done yesterday, moved my sideboard, kids toys got sorted, just need to sort behind the sofa. OH also re-arranged the kitchen cupboards yesterday, it's just the worktops need clearing away now and the cupboard under the stairs. Hoping by the end of the week, everywhere would of had a good sort out and clean.

I'm terrible at getting rid of toys though. 90% of Alex's toys are dinosaurs, most he plays with daily! He notices if one is missing!

I love the pre Christmas clear out and tidy

But it does make me sad getting rid of baby toys

Anybody else hold onto toys thinking, they might play with it in the future (even if its barely been out the box ever)?

I went years without throwing anything away. Either because I was putting it away for the next baby or I thought they might want it later or the younger one might be interested even if the older one wasn't. I still have a bunch of stuff waiting for DS4 to play with though I think he may have skipped it the same as DS3 did.
So this year I've had to be harsh. It does make me very sad to say goodbye to baby toys though.

We moved over the summer so did our big clear out then. I'm not planning on another between here and Christmas, I have too much to do around the house to get it ready for winter. Normally though I would do it around late October.

Can someone please come do mine. I can not throw toys out. I always feel bad because they belong to DS and DD and I always ask their permission but DD doesn't talk and DS wants to keep everything. I've been trying to do a big sort out and clean since we moved to this house.... 4 years ago. We end up doing the same two rooms over and over again.
I hope once the kids are feeling better and DS is back at school, I can get cracking.
OHS mum takes kids to the park on a Saturday morning. So me and OH have 2.5 hours of child free tkme. We can get a fair bit done, so hoping to tackle a big job a week.

I've already done mine, dd has her third birthday in November so I want to get rid of everything ready for that and then christmas. I enjoy it because I like to see my living room have some space back in it again! I have put a lot on ebay and made some money back which I've put in her savings account - I try and get her involved the best I can...so when people came to collect big things that we'd sold I'll give her the money and she then sees that she is getting something back for helping other children enjoy her toys,

Xx

That's nice putting it in her account

I have a list of things id like done before xmas

kids bedroom painted and accessories up.

Lucas into his toddler bed which we will get end of October

Buying new bits for the living room

under the stairs cupboard gutted and reorganised, bedroom and above stairs cupboard organised

Last car boot sale of the year done to clear all clutter.

In Nov im going to be reorganising the kitchen cupboards and stocking up on lots of treats etc to see us through

Want to be done with xmas pressies start of Dec

Paint back Porch

Put all the garden toys away and organise the shed

I'll do a mini one in the next few weeks before Connor's birthday, then a big one end of November. I need to be ruthless this year!

Ours is finished! I've been sorting through his toys for the last month as we had planned a big ikea shop for last week and I wanted the house ready for all the new storage. We'd held onto a lot of toys thinking next baby would use them, but as the years have gone by it's just become hard to hold on to them.

We've thrown out at least 20 bin bags worth of stuff from the house - we've had a big clear out of stuff we don't use anymore - clothes, toys, shoes and furniture. We just have the spare room to do and I'm dreading it, it's literally full to the brim full of stuff as it's our equivalent of a loft :dohh:

Ds1 and 2 aren't bothered by toys anymore. Ds2 told Ds3 a couple of weeks ago "I don't play with my toys any more so you can have them" Ds3 understands I'm making room for Christmas by throwing out this that are broken, babyish or he hasn't played with in ages. He doesn't want to be part of actually sorting and tidying but there were some really pants of figures that Mil had let him bring home from hers because she couldn't be bothered taking them to the charity shop that he insisted on taking back out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->