The Cookery Club

KrisKitten

Reaction score
Anyone interested?
Iv been cooking meals, mostly from scratch with a cheat here and there, since i was quite little and have grown to really love cooking :D
I thought it might be nice to have a group where we can share recipes, what meals we've cooked that night, what we plan on doing, share tips and even pictures if you like :D
Basically all things cookery :)
Anyone interested? :flower:
xxx

KrisKitten
Pork Chops & Apple Gravy with Mash
A very poorly written recipe sorry....
Ingredients
  • Pork Chops
  • Smooth Apple Sauce (ideally, chunky is fine if you need to but youll have little lumps of apple, which isnt good if you dont like apple sauce)
  • Dried seasoning (i use dry herbs, celery salt, black pepper, powdered garlic, all purpose seasoning (basically a mix of paprika, powdered coriander, powdered onion etc))
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Runner beans/peas/baby leaf spinach
  • Stock Cubes/Favourite gravy granuals
  • Potato
  • Creme Freche
  • Butter
Method
  • Peel and chop potatoes and put on to boil.
  • Fry onion and garlic in a deep frying pan with a few dollops of apple sauce, a pinch of dry mixed herbs, until softened. I also tend to add a dustigof Gravy granuals over the top :blush: I dont care if its cheating lol, gives a lovely meaty flavour!
  • Then add pork chops and brown well on both sides. Then add enough ready made gravy/stock with corn flour mixed in to voer the chops. For my size pan and 6-8 chops that usually means about a pint t a pint and half of thick ready made gravy or just under 2 pints of stock.
  • If you are adding ready made gravy add another half a pint of very watery gravy so when you cook it and the water coks off you dont end up witha thick blob.
  • Cook for about 20 mins/30 mins in the gravy, thats a rough guide tho. Itll probably be ready to eat in 10, but after that the longer you leave it (so long as its still in gravy) the softer it'll get. I tend to add another dollop of apple sauce 15 mins in as well.
  • When your about 5/10 minutes away from taking the chops off the heat add the veg to the gravy and take th potatos off.
  • Add creme freche, salt, pepper and powdered/fresh garlic & a knob of butter to the potatoes and mash well. If you like you can stir in a spoonful of chopped fresh chives as well :D
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs659.snc3/32586_423938655699_588895699_5932294_4895773_n.jpg

Kte
Piri Piri Chicken
- takes 30 min, plus marinating. Serves 4
Ingredients:
2 red chillies
1 red pepper
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp olive oil
4 boneless chicken breasts - it says skin on but I never do)
salad leaves to serve

This is what the recipe says;

1) Halve and seed the chillies and red pepper. Chop the chillies finely and the pepper roughly. Tip into food processor and add the vinegar and oil, and season. Whizz, but leave chunky.

2) Slash the chicken breasts across the skin side and put in a shallow ovenproof dish. Pour over three-quarters of the marinade, turning the chicken to coat it. Marinate for at least 10 minutes, or overnight in the fridge if you have time. Reserve the remaining marinade.

3) Heat a griddle or heavy frying pan, add the chicken and cook for 5 - 6 mins each side, turning once. Serve on a bed of salad leaves with the reserved marinade drizzled over.

. . . . and this is how I do it!;

1) Halve and seed the chillies and red pepper. Tip them into the food processor and add the red wine vinegar and olive oil. Blend to a medium/smooth puree consistency.

2) Cut the chicken breasts into strips or chunks and marinate in the sauce, 10 mins as suggested at least.

3) Heat wok or frying pan. Add the chicken but keep some of the sauce back. It tends to 'evaporate' easily in a hot pan so keep adding a bit so that it doesn't stick to the pan. I usually add all of the sauce, I don't add any after.

Serve with accompaniment of your choice. It's good on a bed of salad leaves and with a jacket spud or potato wedges.

24/7
Bacon, Onion & Potato Fritters
Peel the poatoes and boil as you would mash
Cook bacon, which I do in a frying pan
Then mash up the potatoes and add the bacon to it cut into small pieces then add a chopped onion. I then add a sprinkle of pepper.
Roll into four balls, then squish them down a little bit and fry with a little bit of oil.
DELICIOUS!! And we have ours with a tin of baked beans!!

Definately!! :D
I cook everything from scratch as everything has to be gluten and dairy free, and I love finding recipes people say are fab and then trying to alter them to be GF and DF!! :D xx

I like to cook but can get arsey if i don't really know what i'm doing :rofl: aswell as if i've got time!

:haha:
Oh wow 24/7 thats got to be a struggle!
I have a friend whos lactose intolerant and allergic to wheat and gluten!
I might have to steal some of your recipes and invite her round for lunch :haha:
Ok so whats on the menu tonight? Cooking or cheating :D
I was watching this morning last wednesday and decided i had to try (for the first time) one of their recipes - it looked sooo good.
Im pretty useless at actually following recipes properly though lol so well have to see how it turns out.
Its the lemon and rosemary chicken
https://www.itv.com/lifestyle/thismorning/food/lemonandrosemarychicken/
nom nom
Any ideas at what else i can add to the pot? My family dont do small portions lol, like other than the beetroot, new potatoes etc....im gonna chuck in some baby carrots but after that im stumped :lol:
xxx

I'm cheating....well, i say cheating, i'm chucking sausages, onions, carrots, potatoes & mushrooms in the slow cooker to have a sausage casserole :lol:

You've just reminded me i haven't put it on yet :shock: shit! :blush:

:haha:
i have my uses then :lol:
oh i want a slow cooker :(
we have absolutely no space on the kitchen sides though :(
PITA :dohh:

Haha, I'm an expert now, so the right person to ask. :haha:
Tonight we are having bacon fritters as we are both on lates this week at work and are finishing up whats left. So, bacon, potatos, onion, herbs all cooked then rolled into balls and quickly fried in a frying pan!! I can't wait!! :happydance:

And then making a huge salad to take to work tomorrow:
Tuna
New potatoes
Lettuce
Cabbage
Carrots
Sweetcorn
Red onion
Cucumber
Tomato :blush::winkwink:

Whats tonight for everyone else? xx

I think we are having spag bol tonight DH is cooking lol but i know he makes it a special way not a normal one lol, starts with oinions carrot and celery procustio (sp) and sautes it down in red wine i think, then adds the pork and beef mince, soy sauce, tomatos, tomato paste and no doubt a few other things then finishes the sauce with a touch of double cream, its super yummy i'll see if i can swipe the recipe for you, ds1 loves it.

for lunch we had leftover chicken curry that was made with Japanesse Vermont curry paste, carrots , onions, potatos etc... you have to buy the sauce from somewhere that imports it though, but its lush lol and its a mild curry so perfect for Ds1,

Hey :) I normally cook most things from scratch... but since having Oliver i havent really had the time so OH has been doing most of the cooking.

Mine if i join in? xx

I'm a simple lady when it comes to cooking.....i use just basics on everything :haha:

i try and cook everything from scratch too.. :) but recently i've had to cheat, as we don't have a kitchen (so i don't know what to do with myself).. but i'm trying to come up with imaginitive cheats!!
it'd be lovely to hear other people's recipes though!! :)
oh and make sure you let us know how it turns out kris!!
xxxx

Im joining!! Im moving into my own place in three weeks so ill be cooking loads FROM SCRATCH! You get so much more satisfaction out of making your own and it tastes so much better!!!!

:happydance:
ok well im adding carrots, sweet potato & runner beans to that meal now, need to have iit in thr oven by half past so tommy can have his dinner at 6 and we can all eat at 7.
Ill take a picture of it if it looks nice allier :D :haha:
mmm 24/7 tose fritters sound lovely, and lynnette that spag bol sounds mad, but def worth a try xxx

ETA - sorry for the useless typing, feeding the little man atm lol x

we are having chicken korma... My OH is cooking it lol... out of a jar :blush:

But i have made a promise that when we move i am going to make all dinners from scratch again. As the new flat is much bigger and i will have the room to put oliver in the kitchen with me. :thumbup:

everythings in the oven an hour late due to a sad teething baby :(
iv added tons of extra things and basically totally ignored the recipe lol :blush:
but fX itll turn out ok :D xxx

btw if ne1 wants to share ne tried and tested recipes i can add them to the OP :D xxx

Hi girls!

Well, I love cooking and baking and am sorely missing doing both with Ronan taking up so much of my time and energy and then general housework and DH taking up the rest of my free time so my meal contributions most days are half assed unfortunately.

I'm starting to try to make more of an effort, and with a really good combination slow/pressure cooker I should be able to make some decent meals in the pot. My kitchen also sucks and is far too small for my liking which makes everything more of a chore to get done. I tried to tell the hubby my cooking would suffer for having to work in such a cramped space, but noooo this is the house he wanted!

I got so desperate to do something this week that I handed Ronan off to his gran when she popped into visit and disappeared into the kitchen to bake a cake for DH and then when I found out that the two little boys next door had lost their goldfish Gordon, I made them cupcakes to have after it got a flush down the loo funeral!

Kris, I'm awful at following recipes too. My mum's side of the family is greek and much of my cooking experience came from learning with her and my yaya (grandmother) who's idea of teaching you to cook was to add a handful of this and a pinch of that to a milk bottle full of that and cook it until Days of Our Lives is over and then check if it tastes right and if not just add more of anything it takes to get it to taste good...they don't even have milk bottles anymore!

So yeah, that's how I tend to cook now and I'm always substituting if I don't have what a recipe calls for.

Anyway, to put my cooking skills to work tonight, I think we'll have breakfast for dinner with eggs on toast and baked beans and bacon on the side. :mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->