The dad is stressing me out

Chezzer

Reaction score
Hi
Really need some help I'm 15wks prego not with the dad and never was it was a fling. So the dad says I want it all my way I had the downs test for him I've let him to scans kept him up to date and he doesn't like any names I like, now he wants the baby to have his last name and I want mine, I'm now worried he will demand to be at the birth but I don't think I want him there stressing me out.
What shall I do?

Is he wanting joint custody? Are you wanting child support? Things like names are fairly straightforward to sort out. You should get a lawyer on board to deal with the rest of it. Ultimately the last name is your decision since you're the mother. Same goes for the birth. The hospital won't allow anyone into the delivery room that you don't want there.

I want sole custody with him having wkend contact.

Are you two not on good terms outside of him knowing you're pregnant? Also is there a reason you wouldn't want to try co-parenting?

Just need more info before offering my advice.

Yeah he's going in the merch navy he's as heavy drinker and does coke I didn't know about the coke to start or how heavy he drank this is why I'm not with him. Hes blaming me for the pregnanct and is not being fair to me.

Sorry to hear that :hugs:.

You can just tell him that the baby is taking your last name and then come to some kind of compromise for the baby's first name. Even if he wants to show up when you're giving birth, you don't have to let him know. I don't know the regulations in other countries but I'm assuming you're in the United States right? As far as giving birth to the hospital, no one is allowed in without your permission. Especially if you tell them beforehand that you might have some unwelcomed visitors.

In* not to.
I can't find the edit option on the mobile version of this website.

Hi
No I'm in England UK. I told him my last name and he said no, we have liked a few names but he's saying it's to early to think of names. I don't have to have him watching me give birth but he can wait in the family room. But I'm just worried he's gonna kick off and when the midwife completes notes put his name on the babies wrist and ankle tags x

Can he really do that? The part about putting his name on the wrist and ankle bracelets. As for him being there, could you just keep it a secret of when you're going into labor?

They won’t put his surname on wrist tags if you’re not married.

When I had my first me and my ex weren’t married at the time and the wrist tags had my surname on. It’s a security thing I guess that baby’s name matches mums unless of course mum has the same surname as dad.

When I had my second me and my ex were married and baby’s wrist tags had his surname on only because it was mine.

Thank you for the advise I guess not and yeah I may keep it a secret I'm in labour make up I went In quick and didn't have time to call him. I want to be in and out of hospital I'm gonna state no one with his surname is permitted in my labour room.

I'm.in the UK too love. If you are not married the baby will have your surname in the hospital. Also as you are not married he cannot register the baby without you. Honestly love it's your choice. You know what is best for your baby. As the father he does have rights however they need to be agreed upon. Could you look at having mediation. Are you going to breastfeed? If you breastfeed he will not be able to have the baby overnight. Bond with the mother and security is the most important thing. Sending love. I'm sorry things are stressful for you x

As far as I'm aware you can only have 2 birthing partners and these need to be written down beforehand. X

Thanks girlies
Great advise and replies. Yes 100% want to breast feed and hoping to do it for as long as possible, may be 1 year and 2 birthing partners sounds fair I hope this is the case x

Now that I think about it, my kids both had my surname. Even though I registered their last name as that of their fathers in the hospital they still had my surname.

Good luck mama! You're going to love breastfeeding by the way. It's such an amazing bonding experience. Even here in the United States you can only have two people in the room while you give birth, so I would choose those people just as a precaution to prevent anyone else from being able to come in.

Hi
I breast fed my son and loved it but couldn't continue due to my circumstances at the time, but now I really hope i can go feeding for ages x

This is going to be long, sorry ....

Perhaps you could explain to him that it's a two-way street? If he is willing to man up and pay adequate child support, get clean and be a good father figure for the baby, he may deserve a chance to co-parent with you. If he can't meet those expectations, the consequence is not being involved in the baby's life. Explain to him that NOW is the time to prove to you that he can and will do it. Perhaps starting a savings account for baby is a good place to start? He can begin depositing an agreed upon amount each month during your pregnancy as a show of good faith. That money can be an emergency fun for baby, or future presents, education, whatever you agree on. If he can't or won't, that is very telling about future child support. Honestly, maybe this is his chance to turn his life around and make the right decisions. By giving him that opportunity, you are giving your child a chance to know his or her biological father. It's really up to him what he does with that, but I think you owe it to yourself and to your baby to try. If he flunks, well, you can move forward with a clean conscience knowing that you did everything you could.

Using your surname is entirely fair and though he may be hurt by it, you can explain there will be plenty of opportunities in the future to be a part of the baby's life in a more meaningful way than just a name. I would compromise on first or middle name, out of good faith. You can both come up with lists and rank them 1-20. You might agree on #10, but at least neither of you hates it. Keep making lists until something sticks - I know married people that have to do this to avoid conflict! The thing with naming kids is, you won't hate the name once baby is born because that name comes to represent the love of your life!

It is also entirely fair for him to not be in the room for the birth. Assuming he has manned up during your pregnancy, I do believe he deserves to know when you go into labor. He should be allowed to see his son or daughter following birth as a reward for doing everything you ask during the pregnancy. If he doesn't man up, well, missing the birth is a consequence.

Just like it's a two-way street for him, now is a good time for you to be patient and understanding. This is a lot for a man to take who wasn't trying to have a kid. You are essentially strangers and he could be having a hard time coping. I really would give him a chance, offer some benefit of the doubt, and make an effort to develop a friendship with him during your pregnancy. In the long run, you could gain a great partner in co-parenting. Worse case scenario, nothing changes, right?

The key is communication! If you struggle in person, write each other letters/emails. Easier to get your point across without saying things either of you regrets.

I've been following your story and wish you luck. I hope this advice isn't too intrusive, as that is not my intention. You got yourself in this situation and I admire that you are consistently reaching out for advice and assurance rather than all the other negative reactions someone else in your position could be having. Hugs!

That was brilliant, He's not a coke addict he just does it wkends, are yeah we are pretty much strangers we don't really know each other. I don't think he will do the money thing. But he will not be in the labour room but can wait in a family room for me to give birth I can't be bothered with him tbh. He's now realised that sex with out protection cause babies.we have thought of a few first names, but he wants his surname.
I will have to see how things go I guess.
I've also told him he will have to buy everything for himself from a pram-baby wipes. He's not using anything that's mine.

If he wants his surname I would insist on child support payments and then get it in writing with a lawyer. Also get custody arrangements taken care of by a lawyer so that you're not stuck down the line when he suddenly wants more time and you have no legal recourse.

I've been in a similar situation.. Honestly I would cut him completely off until the baby is here. Then you go to court and file child support and custody. After that he can try to file for visitation... If you let the judge know that he is a drinker and does coke he will probably only get supervised visits pending he passes a drug test. He has NO rights until the baby is outside of your body. I personally wouldn't want him around me or my baby at all... not even sure if he's worth the headache for child support. Just cut him off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->