The Diaper Dilemma!

Tiff

LIKE A BOSS
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone on the forum has tried anything other than regular disposable diapers.

My guy and I are pretty enviro-concious, and we're not exactly happy with the impact that regular diapers have on the landfill system. (Over 500 years to biodegrade! Crazy!). We're not exactly keen on the alternative either, as cloth diapers have their own environmental impact with the chemicals used to clean them (service doing it) or the amount of extra laundry it uses (lots of water!).

We're officially looking into a "best of both worlds" kind of hybrid between disposable and cloth diapers. It's got the liner/outer layer of a cloth diaper, but the insert is flushable and only takes 50 years to biodegrade rather than than regular disposables (which don't fully biodegrade either, the plastic tabs and such stay forever). I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the name of them? Some forums are sticklers for not "advertising" so to speak. I'm more or less just curious of anyone's tried anything else, and reviews/ratings on them.

I know I must sound like some tree-hugging hippy :blush: but I want to at least make sure that we did something for Baby Girl's world that she's going to grow up in. Has anyone tried other means to diapers rather than common disposables? Any info/feedback would be appreciated!

I don't think Wobbs is too worried about advertising that you couldn't post up the name of the ones you are looking at.

We use a mix of cloth and disposable but I've not heard of the kind of thing you are talking about.

Thanks for responding, Helen.

The ones we're looking into are gdiapers. We've already purchased a starter pack and some refills. So far, they're not too much more expensive than regular disposables.

They seem really neat.
If we weren't tight on money it would be something I would try. However, just the refills (128) are OVER double what we spend on 120 disposables.

They look really nice but I know my DH would freak about flushing all that away. Our drains block up really easily.

I've never heard of anything like that before. I guess they are the next step really.

I have washables to use. But currently using disposibles on Kalea as shes really tiny. They do look quite handy but I bought mine second hand encase I didn't get on with them.

I tried the G and used it a total of 2 times, and both times the darn thing leaked. Plus the flushing of the liner is a real pain to be honest. You have to tear the liner apart, and then flush it. Well I didn't want to have to mess with a poopy liner.

I use cloth, and I love them. All diapers are going to have an enviromental impact of some sort, and to my thinking, water at least can be recycled and not shoved in a land fill. I use the BumGenius brand, and have had no problems with them. I bought 20 diapers, and do a load every other day. I use a natural veggie based soap and a front loading washer.

Another option is the Nature babycare line. It is a disposible diaper that biodegradable. The problem is that most cities don't compost, so it still ends up in a landfill, and since the trash is then covered, it doesn't get the oxygen it needs to break down.

i agree about water can be recycled.

i dont feel guilty after every nappy change knowing its going to landfill.

i prefer to use the washing machine every other day than put nappies into landfill.
as my hubby says, there is reusable (i think thats the word) electric i.e. wind turbines so our electric may come from them. no one knows where that electric goes s it just goes into the national grid.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->