the difference between working 15 hours and 16 hours?

beatnick

Reaction score
sorry if this is in the wrong place! Does anyone know what happens if you go back to work at 15 or 16 hours? what difference does it make?

Im looking at my part time work hours and Im confused about this threshold?

I need to get z into a nursery and its sooooo confusing!:shrug:

Don't you need to work 16 hours to be entitled to child tax credits towards child care?

I thought it was 16hours to be entitled to Working Tax credits??

I think from april its being put up from 16 to 24 due to the changes x

I think from april its being put up from 16 to 24 due to the changes x

Seriuosly? Well then I'll be quitting work in April. As will I'm guessing a lot of other mum's.

You need to work 16 hours to qualify for working tax credit I know it's changing in April but I was told that that rule only applies to NEW applicants not EXISTING... I don't know how true that is though.

Im going back in June, and according to the tax credit people, it doesn't matter if I go back 16hrs per week, 20hrs per week, or not at all, I'm entitled to the same amount - £20 per week!! Go figure! :(

Im so worried that they are changing it - has anybody got a link so i can have a read? Surely they cant just change it for exsisting claims can they??

xx

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11621984

This seems to be a good link.

Im going back in June, and according to the tax credit people, it doesn't matter if I go back 16hrs per week, 20hrs per week, or not at all, I'm entitled to the same amount - £20 per week!! Go figure! :(

Same here!! I think (like me) it will be cos of your hubbys salary - ie. you automatically drop into the 'basic award' band, regardless of how much you earn/intend to earn. Shit aint it.

Lisa9999 - yep, I think that's it! It's a joke, tbh. DH has a good job - but he doesn't have an amazing salary, in my opinion. Plus, when I go back to work, we'll be paying £250 a month in nursery fees (which we're not entitled to any help with) so we'll be much worse off than before. I'm only going back 20hrs per week, I was full time pre-LO.
xx

ok so it doesnt make any difference anymore?

Im trying to work out what benefits we will get based on salaries and seeing where the point is that it becomes pointless working more hours (hope that makes sense)

I have done some online calculators but i need some simple answers....

aaaaggghhh its so confusing!!! if we ring the tax office up now do you think they'll be able to calculate what we'll be entitled to???

I'm due to go back in May and obviously all the changes would of taken place then.. but obviously I need to plan in order to figure out what to do!

I read that website and I find its all a bit mind boggling to be honest lol

ILoveshoes - I find that shocking that if you don't go back to work that you'll still only be entitled to £20..

Help with the costs of childcare
You may be able to get more Working Tax Credit to help with the cost of
registered or approved childcare. This is the childcare element of
Working Tax Credit. The childcare element can help with up to 80% of
your childcare costs up to a maximum cost of £175 a week for one child
and £300 a week for two or more children. This means that the childcare
element is worth up to an extra:
• £140 a week (80% of £175) for families with one child, and
• £240 a week (80% of £300) for families with two or more children.
The amount you receive will depend on your income and will be paid
directly to the main carer.
To claim the childcare element you must be over 16.
If you are a lone parent, you must work 16 hours a week or more.
If you are in a couple, both of you must work 16 hours a week or more.

Alternatively, only one partner needs to work 16 hours a week or more if
the other is:
• incapacitated
• an in-patient in hospital, or
• in prison (whether serving a custodial sentence or remanded in custody
awaiting trial or sentence).
You will be treated as incapacitated

Taken from: https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/wtc2.pdf A guide to Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit (the 2010/2011 edition).

-------------------------

The biggest change is for couples with children who can currently get working tax credit if at least one partner works at least 16 hours a week.

From April 2012, such couples will have to work at least 24 hours a week, with one partner working at least 16 hours.

Taken from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11621984

all i can hear in my head is the magic roundabout playing.

lalalalalalalallalalllala

if i ignore it will it just get sorted out for me? shall i call my dad? :)

What would help is a benefits calculator for 2011/2012 but I can't find one.

I think the basis of it is that to get your child care paid for you need to work at least 16 hours a week and if you have a partner then you both need to work 16 hours a week. The 24hour a week bit mentioned by the BBC refers to other parts of working tax credits, not the child care bit. But how much you get is going to depend on how much your partner works. And anything your entitled to this financial year will be less next financial year cos of the Con-Dem Government.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->