The Great Farleys Rusk debate!!! - good or bad

How is it that these are marketed from 4 months yet ave gluten in. Goes to show companys dont give a crap about our babies, all they care about is making money off us.

To maximise the money they make. They advertise to the biggest customer base they can get away with :(

I just looked at my cookie packet. One cookie has 3g of sugar in that would be better :haha:

I don't see the issue with them, all of our family have been having them since they came out, and we're all fine. However I do agree that they should be in moderation, not an everyday treat.

I noticed there's gluten and that's a big no-no, besides the obvious sugar in the ingredient.

You can get gluten free ones x

ETA: Not that that excuses the sugar content lol

Do you know where I can get your gluten free rusks? I used to buy them but can't find them anywhere now. Thanks
Answer

New legislation came into force on 1st January 2012 affecting what products can be claimed as Gluten Free. This change in the law means that we can no longer claim that our Farley's Gluten Free Rusks are Gluten Free.

So apparently they were never even gluten free!

My lo certainly wont be having them often, far too much suger. Maybe as a treat sometimes. I love them though. I was raised on mashed rusks with milk and still regularly have a bowl for breakfast!

Do you know where I can get your gluten free rusks? I used to buy them but can't find them anywhere now. Thanks
Answer

New legislation came into force on 1st January 2012 affecting what products can be claimed as Gluten Free. This change in the law means that we can no longer claim that our Farley's Gluten Free Rusks are Gluten Free.

So apparently they were never even gluten free!

Actually, that may not be the case. They can't claim they are gluten free now if they were made in a factory that also makes non gluten free products. (kinda like the nut allegy warnings)

its because the new legislation stated it had to under a certain amount of gluten to be gluten free but it isnt.

What is a rusk comparable to in the States?

Its not something i would ever give, For that amount of sugar i would rather give her a digestive or a rich tea

How is it that these are marketed from 4 months yet ave gluten in. Goes to show companys dont give a crap about our babies, all they care about is making money off us.

Its so wrong isnt it!! They also make a gluten free pack but youd think they would stop marketing these ones for 4 months!!

Im on the rusks are good camp. Originally was the only brekkie he would eat. Now he has rusks every 3rd day now as he had fruit puree one day and weetabix or porridge the next.Also i found my lo loves the wholemeal ones with fruit puree mixed in. I had them as a baby and i came out fine so cannot b harmful. And as far as the sugar argument goes in baby foods/cereals our "grown up" ones are full of it too. Cannot avoid sugar its in everythin. Now givin a baby chocolate every day n a maccies well thrs a whole another story. Part of a balanced diet why the heck not! (have rusks i mean)

Its not something i would ever give, For that amount of sugar i would rather give her a digestive or a rich tea

Lol, I do give my LO a Rich Tea! They last longer and have a lot less sugar.

I personally don't like them, my Mum brought them for her house and we've given Tessa half a one twice, both times she's actually choked, not just gagged. What happens is it gets really stodgey and gets stuck at the roof of her mouth, she chokes on that.

So I'm not giving them to her purely for that reason, I believe everything in moderation, and babies need a high fat, low fibre diet to aid growth, so I'm not too fussed :shrug:

You can avoid most refined sugar as I've said before. No need to avoid natural sugars in fruits but refined sugar is very bad for you and converts to fat in the body.

I bought a pack one day and the amount of sugar in it made me feel sick, there was no way I could give it to my lil boy x

I'm in the bad camp... But as someone who did baby led weaning every food was a finger food, I didn't need to buy any specifically. Don't get me wrong, he had sugary foods... He had pretty much anything I had. We didn't eat crap as such, had a healthy diet, but if I had something sweeter, so did he. But I never saw the point in Rusks. A rich tea finger was smaller and just as satisfying... And I could eat one too haha.

What gets me is so many Mums would see a baby eating an adult biscuit, like the rich tea finger I mentioned as a bad thing and frown on it... But those same mums will happily give a rusk despite them being the same thing pretty much and likely loaded with more sugar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->