The honest truth...

xxsteffyxx

Single Momma
Reaction score
How does your weight effect pregnancy?
I am 22 years old, have a BMI of 40 and a size 18. Roughly around 102kg.

I am eating as healthy as I can, but sometimes have a speacil treat and lately been craving burgers from McDonalds and BK... I know the Midwifes tell you to loose weight, but I want the shocking truth...

please?

HI

I dont know if this will help but my sister was overweight for her height when she had my nephew. She was 19 and was a size 18/20

She did have pre-eclamsia and found labour harder then when she had lost weight 4 years later and gave birth to my neice 8 months ago.

Heres what i found on the web:

Extra weight can be related two pregnancy problems: gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia

Being overweight puts you at increased risk of having a baby that is larger than normal
There are also some other affects that being overweight can have on your pregnancy. If you are overweight, it can be more difficult for ultrasounds to look at your baby through the extra body fat. If you need a diagnostic amniocentesis, being overweight can make the procedure more difficult. Being overweight during pregnancy puts you at a higher risk for infections, including urinary infections. Finally, being overweight can affect the process of selecting and using anesthesia during labor and delivery.

However this is for someone who is overweight and you may not be so this is justto give you a general idea.

good luck with your pregnancy :flower:

Yeah being overweight can cause gestational diabetes, eclampsia, high risk of premature birth and you may find that labour is harder.

If you think of it like this: those fatty burgers you are eating, your little baby is eating them too!

All the sugar that makes your big adult heart pump faster will make your baby's Tiny little heart pump faster.

:hugs:

Yeah everyone shocks me about the 'baby eats it too' I don't know, I guess I needed that shock tactic.

I am already at risk of getting gestational diabetes and been refered to a speacilist midwife.

I'm going to sound really blonde... what is Pre-Eclampsia?

Good luck with your pregnancy hun :) I know it's easier said than done but just try to eat healthier meals during pregnancy ofcourse your going to have some junk during pregnancy (who doesn't ? lol) but try to keep it in moderation. Heck, coming from me! I put on stones during my pregnany I was stupid and jut eat ridicously amounts of crap! Now I'm paying for it as I put on so much I have so train so hard now to shift it all! Blegh.
___XO

Just what I've read/ heard- not necessarily my opinion!

Being overweight irregulates how your body uses sugar which then leads to diabetes and eclampsia etc which is VERY harmful for the baby and for you.

Not only that, it affects your mobility and its important to be mobile to make carrying and delivering the baby a more enjoyable experience.

Pressure on your vital organs are not helped by being overweight and its worse when you also have a baby rely on those organs!

Being overweight also makes it harder to scan you (on my sisters notes it said they couldnt detect baby very well because of too much fat).

Its also being a role model- society are looking to decrease obesity and it is a fact that overweight kids are using their parents as an excuse and example for how they eat and exercise etc.

Being overweight increases the amount of spending by the NHS because you will need extra monitoring and medication should you develop diabetes.

I've had to loose 2 and a half stone to qualify for IVF so I know they take it seriously!

xx

my baby is 6 weeks old tomorrow, i am 23 and was 17st 1lb (bmi 41) when i fell pregnant, the week after my baby was born i was 16st 13lb and i have just weighed myself now and weigh 15st 12lb, i have bottle fed so that has not been the reason for loosing after he was born either.

yes we all know being overweight is not good for you, but i spoke to my midwife, consultant and nurse about being overweight and they all said the same thing 'try not to eat unhealthy food, if you do try and have smaller portions, however your body believes you are healthy enough to carry a baby otherwise you wouldnt be pregnant'

to be honest during the 1st trimester this was probably the time when i ate the most rubbish, i just ate anything that didnt make me feel sick, 2nd trimester was the best and easiest because i felt the best in myself, the 3rd trimester i didnt eat much as small portions filled me a lot

good luck with your pregnancy and i am sure you and your baby will be just fine

xxx

relax, as long as you limit the burgers eat plenty of fruit and veg and gentle exercise, as well as some treats you should be great! Not all women get GD or pre aclampsia! I was MUCH bigger than you in my last pregnancy and was healthy! big women have babies everyday, try not to worry yourself too much :winkwink: I cant stand lots of doom & gloom on 'obese' women in pregnancy, hun you enjoy your pregnancy as much as anyone else is allowed!!! :hugs:

I don't want to be doom & gloom either - but you asked what pre-eclampsia is so here's a link to it https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pre-eclampsia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I was 17 stoneish when pregnant, BMI of 35ish..I did get GD.
It wasnt diagnosed until 28 weeks. Its not nice. I ended up being induced and had a poorly Baby. Every carb and sugar hit you get now is putting your Baby at risk of you having GD now and making it worse/developing it further in your pregnancy. GD can be very bad if uncontrolled/undiagnosed. It even increases the Mums risk of developing full blown diabetes in the future. If you start to limit your carb/sugar intake now you will be doig yourself and your Baby a HUGE favour either by helping to stop the onset of GD or helping to regulate already erratic levels.
I would even suggest buying a blood monitor (they arent dear) and testing your levels now just to see. I have mine still from when I had GD and will be testing myself every single day in my next pregnancy to catch it quick if I do have it. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->