The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

I haven't made lactation cookies before. Someone in another group posted a recipe for no bake cookies that looked pretty good. I already eat steel cut oatmeal with flaxseed every day, but maybe the brewer's yeast would help extra. If I have good results with that recipe, I'll post it here :thumbup: do the cookies increase your supply?

Honestly, I'm not sure if they work for me or not. The times I have had them I hadn't been tracking my ounces so I couldn't really tell if there was a difference. Though now I am tracking, so hopefully I can start seeing if they make a difference or not.

How do you incorporate the flaxseed with your oatmeal? I eat oatmeal daily. I have flaxseed which I put into the lactation cookies (they have 1 cup flaxseed and 3T of Brewers Yeast). I have a ton of it, so I'm interested. Do you just stir some in there?

Lactation no bake cookies sound delicious!

Do you have a dishwasher? Magic! It sterilises and cleans all those nooks and crannies. I run mine through once a day and then rinse and air dry and they're ready to go.

It probably took 8 weeks to "get used" to it from the start. As for the return to work, I was OK immediately as I knew what I was in for. I hated using my freestyle as it isn't as gentle as the symphony.

It's weird, though. I think I've made 12 months because I am just that used to it and scared that if I stop my breasts will spontaneously combust or something. Lol. Ah the logic of mothers!

Do you use olive oil? Pop some in a small travel shampoo storage bottle to take with you to work to lube your flanges. Takes the edge off.

Sadly, DH and I are the dishwashers lol We don't have room for a normal sized one and can't really afford a mini. The counter top ones seem to be more in our price range. Do you think the counter top dish washer would sterilize just the same?

I used olive oil a little bit a couple of weeks ago. I think I was using too much though lol

I agree about the Freestyle. I felt like the Freestyle just tore up my nipples! I'm still going to use the Freestyle, but just not as the main pump. I plan on using it for when I have to use it on the run.

That's great that you were already knowing what to expect with work. I feel like I'm pretty adjusted at this point to the pumping at home. I think my main worry is being exhausted for work (which would be the same, pumping or not). There are times I sent my alarm for pumping & I just don't get up, so right now I'm terrified I won't get up in time for work and will be late. That and just toting everything around. I need to get something in place by Friday.

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to give my pump schedule a try. Hoping it'll work out, but otherwise can adjust. Since 2 of the times at work I'll only have 30 minutes and about 15-20 minutes during lunch, I'm going to only do that much time for those time slots over the next 2 days to see what it does to my supply.

I am pumping every hour and a half to 2 hours. Then at night I am pumping around midnight, again at 3 and then at 6. My supply at night is pretty good. At the 3 am pump I usually get almost 4 oz, but then the supply significantly drops after that. Hopefully with the meds, tea, eating healthy and lots of water it starts coming in better. Tonight, because I used up all the pumped milk, we had to supplement and give him some formula and it broke my heart. I don't want to have to do that again. :(

What kind of pump are you using?

When I was using my Medela Freestyle, I was getting between 16-20 oz. I switched to a hospital grade pump & now have a normal supply. Immediately started averaging 25-26 oz and am now averaging 30 oz (just started at the beginning of the month). Since the hospital grade pump, I was able to stop supplementing with formula.

You are already doing great though and are doing all the right things :hugs:

I have finely ground flaxseed and I just stir some right into the oatmeal :thumbup: it gives it a bit of a nutty taste but it's not strong at all. I barely notice it usually.

I have finely ground flaxseed and I just stir some right into the oatmeal :thumbup: it gives it a bit of a nutty taste but it's not strong at all. I barely notice it usually.

I gave it a try this morning and didn't taste any difference at all! Even if I had, I don't think I would have minded a nutty flavor though.

I worked out a pumping schedule for the days that I work: 2am, 5:45am (on my drive to work), 10:30am (half hour - time allotted to me), 12:30pm (15-20 min - lunch, only get 30 min), 2:00 or 2:30pm (not sure which they gave to me - half hour); 5pm, 7pm, 9pm, 11pm (if a 9th session is needed).

I may see if they will let me change my 10:30 to maybe 9:30 or 10:00. I'm the only one who will be pumping. Though I need to discuss a back up plan with my manager Friday in case the conference room is occupied (sometimes it can be occupied all day) or if it's occupied during my scheduled times. I will die if the room is occupied and there is nowhere for me to pump.

I'm trying out the schedule today and right now my boobs are painful. I need to pump, but I'm trying to hold out until 10:30. Today's schedule really won't tell me anything though as I've slept during my pumping this morning. Started at 2 and woke up sometime after 3 (I know it went for awhile) and when I started at 5:45 woke up after 7 (again it went for awhile). So it won't be accurate as far as giving me an indication of supply.

I won't be able to eat oatmeal for breakfast (I have to eat in my car) so I'm probably going to start having it for lunch.

I'm really getting anxious about returning to work. About getting my pumping supplies there, having LO in daycare, and just getting back into the groove of it. More worried about being over tired and over sleeping and being late for work (always had a fear of being late anyway).

:hugs: It is a big transition for sure. It will likely be tough at first. Just give it some time and both you and LO will figure it out :thumbup: and it will definitely be harder for you than for her!

I have my oatmeal after dinner. I don't have time to make and eat steel cut in the morning.

I hope the flaxseed helps you!

I'm hoping to at least commit a month. I'm trying to keep the mindset that I'll be "starting over". It took me about 6-7 weeks to adjust to pumping at home, so I know I'll have to go through an adjustment period at work too, which I will be going through anyway. If I'm returning my pump, it has to be shipped by the 1st if I don't want to be charged, which only gives me a week into working and pumping. I don't feel like that's long enough to adjust. So that means I have a month to get an idea of how I feel about it.

My first pumping goal is coming up Friday - making it back to work. I think my second goal is Thanksgiving or 3 months (early December). From there it'll be my vacation during the week of Christmas. And then just hopefully take it each month from there.

Where do you get your steel oats? How are they different from rolled or old fashioned oats?

I'm only able to find the rolled/old fashioned oats, so that's what I've been eating. I've been able to make them in the microwave easily enough, so it shouldn't be too bad for me to whip them up quick-ish at lunch.

I get mine from Trader Joe's. I haven't had any trouble finding them at any grocery store, though. I used to eat rolled oats and honestly I haven't noticed a difference in supply...I just keep going with the steel cut oats because they are tastier. But some people say there is a difference.

Those sound like great goals :hugs: congrats on being two days from your first one.

I really don't think I'm going to be able to get 8 pumping session in on work days. I think 7 is the most that will work. Except for maybe Friday since I can stay up a little later. 8 on the weekends since I have more flexibility.

I got 33oz out of 7 sessions today, and I'm on my 8th now, but I'm pushing myself. So exhausted.

I had some pump malfunction during my first session at work with the symphony. No suction - checked everything (just replaced the membranes). So I ended up using my Freestyle. Still using it until morning since I'm way too tired to pull the symphony out and try to see what's up.

I found quickly that there is no way I can pump on my lunch. I only get 30 min. I was hoping to get in 15-30 min. I might be able to if I didn't want to eat my lunch. But by the time I get hooked up, I'd be lucky to get 10 min in before I had to stop and put things away. If I could get this session in then I could get 8 in pretty easily (though I think the 2 am is going to kill me in the long run!). Since it's impossible, that's why I can only get in 7 and I really don't think I could do an 11pm session, get up for a 2am session and then be up at 5 to get ready for work. Just isn't possible, and I know that would be just way too much. Today was hard enough with a 9pm session and 2am session.

I'm hoping my supply doesn't take too much of a hit if I only do 7 sessions Monday through Thursday. I feel like next week is going to be very tough. So next week I'm going to take it 1 day a time.

One day at a time sounds good :hugs: FWIW, if your supply does drop, I think 10 min over your lunch break would help keep it up. It's totally up to you obviously, but I'm just saying that because I know how important EP is to you. If you find yourself needing a fix then I do think it would help.

I think I may ask my manager if she will allow me to use the conference room to get a quick pump in during my lunch & allow me to eat in there. If I can use the conference room, it'll be a lot easier to squeeze in a 10 minute pump. I pumped at 9:30 yesterday and was starting to feel engorged by 2, so it would be nice to get something in. It would just be really hard if I have to go out to my car to do it. So, I'm going to see what she says and hopefully she'll allow it. Even if it's not an every day thing. The conference room usually isn't in use during the lunch hour, so it may be only but once in awhile that I can't.

When did you find that you were able to start dropping pumping sessions w/o it dropping your supply? I don't think I'm anywhere near doing that yet just based on what I'm seeing while keeping track.

I'm having one of those really hard days today. So exhausted. Today is one of those days that if feels impossible to keep going. I'm dreading next week. But I've had these days before, and I know that I just have to get through them, that I'm still going to have good days and bad days. I've fought too hard for this and have spent too much time on this to give up with one bad day. So hopefully these feelings will pass. I feel like I've just peaked with the exhaustion. I'm struggling not to fall asleep during every pump (I do actually try to sleep during some pumps though - just not ideal when it's just me and LO - but usually make a point of it during the night time pumps). I actually didn't do a night time pump last night because I knew I had to have my sleep. If I hadn't, who knows what today would have been like. Fingers crossed that tomorrow will be a better day!

I EP only from 11 months postpartum so I'll let someone else take that question :) I was pumping 20-22 oz at 7-9 ppd when I started, and didn't lose any supply dropping to 5-6 a week later and then to 4 a couple weeks after that. Then I lost 2-3 oz each dropping to 3 and then 2 (so far).

12 weeks often seems to be the magic cutoff for pumpers. But sleep deprivation affects everyone differently. You may actually get more if you can sleep more. Hard to know in advance I think :/

I hope things start to look up for you. You are definitely in the hard part, and it will get wayyy easier in a matter of weeks. :hugs:

I had an incredibly stressful business trip last week, and my supply has dropped severely. I went from pumping 50 ounces to barely making 30 ounces :cry:

First, my 6am flight got cancelled and I was stuck in the airport for 12 hours. It's SO hard to find somewhere to pump in airports- at the first airport, they made me pump out in the open at one of the business area work stations...there was nowhere I could go that had both privacy and an electrical outlet. Luckily, I found a spot that was pretty out of the way, so there weren't TOO many people around, but it was still humiliating. At the second airport (Atlanta), there was literally nowhere to pump. I asked at the information desk as well as the airline help desk, and they all told me to use one of the family bathrooms (although neither of them could tell me where to find one...I had to take the plane train back and forth and trek up and down 3 different concourses before I found one).

However, when I finally found it, there was no electrical outlet and the door lock was broken. I had gone 9 hours without pumping by that time (I had been at a business conference that also had no private area before getting to the airport), and I had to sit on the toilet and use my manual pump to relieve the pressure. I had stacked my luggage in front of the door, but I almost got walked in on 3 times anyway when people tried to push the door open. I couldn't fully empty with the hand pump, unfortunately, and had to go another 5 hours after that before I got home. That last flight was the most uncomfortable experience of my life...not only was I engorged and in pain, but the seats were the smallest I've ever seen on a plane, and I was crammed in like a sardine.

On top of all that, TSA had confiscated my ice pack when I went through security, so I couldn't even bring any of my milk home. They told me that if it had still been frozen (it had thawed after 12 hours stuck in the airport), OR if I had full bottles of milk with me (I had dumped my first bottles because even with the ice pack, it wouldn't make it the 36 hours before I got home), they would have let it through...but because it was liquid and I had no milk with me, they took it. The agent asked her supervisor, who at first said I could take it through, but when she learned my bottles were empty, she said I could not. I was so stressed out and upset that I started sobbing as I went through the scanner. I was crying uncontrollably as the agent patted me down, and as they handed me back my pump, and not a single person asked me if I was ok or even looked me in the eye.

Now I'm going to have to supplement with formula, and it's killing me. I am so upset.

I'm so sorry, hun *big hugs*

I can't write much sorry as I am rushing off but I didn't want to R&R. You can get your supply back up, just think of this as a dip :) Your babies are 10 months now and you have done amazingly. Things will be ok, promise. I had huge dips at times, too, but I managed to get my supply back.

I think it's definitely time to write a letter to those airports about the humiliation you experienced. It's not fair what they did to you.

OMG Dragonfly, I'm so sorry. It takes so much hard work to build that kind of supply. I'm sure that with time you'll be able to build it back...they are old enough that your supply is probably well established. I'm so sorry you were treated that way. So unfair of them to punish you further when it wasn't your fault your flight got canceled. And awful that you didn't have anywhere to pump the entire time either. I wish the world were more pumping friendly...!

That's awful Dragonfly :(

I agree with the others about your supply. Though I know that doesn't make it any easier.

That was awful how they treated you! It was circumstances beyond your control and you shouldn't have been punished for that. And even if it was their policy, they could have at least comforted you the best they could given the circumstances.

I was reading an article about how there is an airport that actually put in a breastfeeding/pumping station. It would be amazing if more/all airports did that so situations like yours can hopefully be prevented. :hugs:

_______

I had a major meltdown Sunday. Called my mom crying because I couldn't do it anymore. She made a 3 hour round trip just to help me out.

That night I had decided that it was time to quit (as hard as that was, but I'm ashamed to say that there was also a sense of relief), but after thinking about it, I'm sort of in between right now.

I decided to cut back to 5 pump sessions a day. I know my supply is going to drop, but we'll see by how much. At this point, I would rather supplement with formula if meant I could still pump but not have to spend every waking moment tied to the pump & never being able to leave the house (it's too hard!). And with work now in the mix. I hate the idea of supplementing, but I feel is a better alternative than quitting all together at this point.

From 5 pump sessions, I can still quit if I decide to later. Or I can always go back up to 8+ sessions. I'm honestly just not in a place, mentally, to make the decision, so I'm doing what is going to make it a little easier on me.

Yesterday was my first day trying that out and got 31oz for the day. Today I don't have a chance to get 5 in due to the trying to get LO to latch. So far I've got about 21.5oz in for the day. 1 normal session this morning. Only about 10 min while at the pediatric dentist to try and get my nipples to elongate. Second normal session after I got home with LO from the dentist as I was so engorged it hurt to hold her. I know it'll eventually drop, but I'm grateful for the amounts that I've gotten over the last couple of days.

I'm working to get LO to latch on so hopefully can start actually breastfeeding & pumping during work. I saw a LC a little over a week ago & she though LO might have tongue tie but it was too hard to tell. We had LO's appt with the pediatric dentist this morning & she did have mild tongue tie - but she did say that she doubted LO would be able to latch on with it.

We decided to get it clipped this morning (it was a really stressful heartbreaking few hours). From there they let us sit in her office to try and get LO to latch. We didn't have any luck, but we're going to keep trying. If it doesn't work, then I'll go from there. However, it was very encouraging to be there today. They were really supportive about the pumping and were surprised that I was so "smiley" and "optimistic". Which I'm neither, but it's the front I put on. But the nice thing was that they were really nice when they assured me that even if she still doesn't latch, I'm not a failure for not being able to breastfeed (which is what I've been struggling with so much & partially why pumping has become so important to me - the last thing I'm holding onto).

ETA: Since I am going down to 5 pumping sessions a day, I'm not sure if it'd be worth the $65/mo rental fee to use the hospital grade pump. Ideally I'd be using it 2x/day Monday - Friday and 5x/day Saturday and Sunday (unless I am going to be out for a long time and need to take the Freestyle with me, but with doing it 5 times a day, there's some flexibility where I probably won't need to).

I have to get it shipped w/ a tracking# by the 1st if I don't want to get charged for the month of November. I just can't really decide if it's worth the money. Though it might be worth it to keep my supply somewhat decent/to hopefully keep it from plummeting completely if I just use the Freestyle only. I'm torn.

:hugs: I'm sorry things have been so stressful, spunky. I hope that clipping your LO's tongue tie will help and you will be able to nurse. It's much less demanding than pumping so much (although sometimes it is also very demanding). Either way, 5 ppd is wonderful -- you never know, maybe you'll be able to make enough that way. If not, it's still amazing for your daughter to be getting your milk.

About whether to keep renting, I think it depends on how you feel about supplementing. Of course using the hospital grade is not at all a guarantee that you will not have to supplement, but it improves your chances. If you just want to provide some BM for your LO, then 5ppd with the Freestyle should certainly be enough to maintain some supply.

Spunky, our stories are reasonably similar. LO could not latch due to a TT but we eventually got her back on :D Now, over 1 year old and she's still BF'ing strong - in fact I don't see an end in sight.

Her BF'ing didn't improve immediately as promised post TT clipping (she was clipped TWICE). It took a few weeks of exercises and training. But it definitely happened. I recommend baby-led attachment. LO was 6 weeks old when we did this for the first time so they don't grow out of it quickly. We also used the Medela calma teat.

Yes, you do feel tethered to the pump. I can't count the amount of times I cried. Everything in life was about the pumping schedule - it should have been about baby but it wasn't. If we went out, the portable pump came with us and we had to go to mothers' rooms to pump at designated times. However it truly gets easier and better. I distinctly remember the day I went shopping without the pump for the first time.

I am going to be completely honest and upfront. If you don't have the symphony I almost guarantee you'll want to give up (at least, I would). The freestyle is good, but I could not face the idea of chomping my nipples with that thing 5 times a day.

Whichever way you choose you've done so well, so don't beat yourself up. I had several breakdowns myself, it's totally normal. If you don't want to pump any more you've given your LO the best start, so big hugs and well done for it! It takes a special mama to pump.

Since you're venturing back to breast, perhaps rent for one more month (if you can afford it) and stick to pumping a little longer? In our case I was fully BF'ing about 4 weeks after her initial good latch.

Dragonfly - I'm SO sorry about your supply and how they treated you. That's just awful. I would be writing letters to the airports and quite possibly the TSA about confiscating your ice pack. They should not have done that if it was for a medical need, which is was. :hugs:

Spunky - I don't post here anymore since I stopped pumping, but I do lurk and read. I'm so sorry with the stresses you are going through. I really hope getting her TT clipped will help get her back to the breast. I pumped for 7 months, and my daughter got my milk to roughly 7.5 months. But, I also cut down my pumping to during the day to avoid feeling so overwhelmed and to actually get some sleep at night. I supplemented with formula once a day, her bedtime bottle, until 4ish months when my supply started going down due to AF returning. I had to do 2 bottles of formula a day then. I felt much better, getting some rest, and not having to worry about how many ounces I was making and stressing if I was making enough for her. I probably could have given her EBF for the first month, but that would've been cutting it close and made me stress. I froze a bunch and that enabled me to give her at least 1 bottle a day of BM until 7.5 months.

I guess I'm just posting to let you know you aren't alone. I sincerely hope the TT clipping will help, but if it doesn't, and you supplement with a tiny bit of formula, it's okay. I wish someone had truly said that to me. Any amount of breastmilk you give your daughter is AMAZING. Especially with how much work you're putting in it to give her your milk.

And I still feel like a failure for having to give DD formula and not EBF. She's done absolutely amazing on it, but it stills creeps up on me sometimes.

Big hugs :hugs: :hugs: I'm glad your mom could come down and help you out!

Well, I gave up on trying to get LO to latch! It beat me down mentally more than doing the pumping 8 times a day. So hard having her scream at the breast. I felt rejected, even though I know that wasn't really the case. She actually laid there, took some milk with the nipple shield, and spit it right out! Then would take the milk from the bottle just fine. I know that it didn't have to do with what I had eaten as I don't vary that much & she drank the milk I pumped after that just fine.

I'm doing really well with the 5 sessions. I started out averaging 27-28 ounces, and for some unknown reason 30 ounces this week since Monday. So we haven't had to supplement yet! In fact, I still have to freeze some (which I'm thrilled about!). Right now the freezer is packed with it.

I'm hoping to be able to go down to 4 eventually, but I don't want to try to do that too soon. I did yesterday just for a little break. I'm also a little more lax about my pumping schedule on some days. I'm not stressing out over it anymore. The only time I really try to be on time with it is M-Th just because of the evening schedule (the first morning and work schedule is absolutely no issue). It's just trying to get the one in right after getting home (which is when LO's fussy time starts). The before bed one isn't really all that bad either.

I decided to keep the hospital grade for a little longer and I'm glad for it! The freestyle shreds my nipples. Actually they've been holding up well until yesterday. They are in bad shape right now. I need to get some nipple balm on them!

Honestly though, if it weren't for the encouragement and support from you ladies and a couple of healthcare professionals, I really think I would have given up by now! My 3 month goal is coming up, but I since I've gone down to 5 times a day, I feel like I've cheated and that it's not as much of an accomplishment if I had been still doing the 8 times a day. I know it's silly, but I feel like for it to be an accomplishment, I have to be mentally and physically beaten down.

3 months is SUCH an accomplishment!!! You're doing such a wonderful job and I'm glad things are going so well for you! A lax pumping schedule is so much easier to deal with then a rigid one; it helps you think that you CAN do this and not stress about it.

So glad things are going well! :thumbup: I smiled at your point that you feel like you have to be beaten down for it to "count"...not at all! The point is to provide your milk for your daughter and you are doing an awesome job of that. She is a lucky little girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->