The long but fast arrival of Florence Rose, 3/11/11

bellaboo

Mummy of two💖💙
Reaction score
Monday 31st October (39 +6 Weeks)
I had my routine MW appt in the afternoon where I was told at my previous appt that I could have a sweep. They give one at 40 weeks, but as I was only one day off MW said it would be fine. Got to the doctors and there was only one MW in and it was very busy. I knew then that she wouldn’t give me one. I asked though and she said as I weren’t 40 weeks they were not allowed to give them before term. I think it was just because she was so busy. Had all my checks everything was fine apart from my BP being slightly high. It would be normal but as my BP was low at my booking in appt this was ‘high’ for me. She said to come back in the morning to have it tested again.
Went home and was quite upset that I didn’t get the sweep that I was expecting, so I spent the whole afternoon/night bouncing on my ball and eating pineapple!!

Tuesday 1st November (40 Weeks)
I went to the clinic first thing in the morning to recheck my BP. My BP was better, a bit lower, but I tested positive for 2++ protein in my water. She made me do another sample and still the same. MW got a bit worried and at one point we thought my waters might have gone as I did say I felt a gush when on the toilet the night before. She rang up the delivery suite at the hospital as she wanted me to be monitored and examined to check everything was ok. They couldn’t take me as they were so busy so she rang the day assessment which is within the maternity ward at the hospital to see if they could see me. They were also busy and could only see me at 3pm. After speaking with the delivery suite again they were happy for me to go in at 3pm to get checked over. MW was a bit concerned though as if it was my waters it would have been nearly 24hours since and I started to worry.
Spent the rest of the day with my Mum, didn’t want to tell David yet as he is a HGV driver and I didn’t want to worry him and he rush while on the road. I knew he would be home in time to take me but he ended up only just getting back in time and we went straight up to the hospital.
I had bloods taken and was put on the monitor for about half an hour to monitor baby. BP was ok, but there was still protein 1+ in my water. My bloods came back fine, so the MW were at bit baffled as to what was wrong as I want showing any other symptoms of pre-eclampsia. They said it might be a Urine infection, but would only get the results back in 48 hours. I was examined and my waters hadn’t broken. While she was ‘up there’ I asked if she could give me a sweep, which she attempted. She said she couldn’t fully do it as I was only a finger tip dilated but had a good rummage around and said my cervix was very soft and stretchy. (Thanks to RLT)
On the way home (5pm) I started with a few contractions. Got back home and started having quite regular contractions. They started of being about 10 mins apart but quickly got to 6 mins average and lasting around a minute. Tried to eat my tea, and spent the night bouncing on my ball. I had my TENs machine on and I was coping well with the pain. Around 8pm I decided I wanted a bath and that definitely eased the pain. My mum then came up for about an hour. She was also going to be my birthing partner along with DH. I was still contracting every 5-7 mins but felt they weren’t painful enough to be doing anything!! My mum went home around 10pm and David and I went to bed to try and get some rest. I couldn’t sleep as I still was contracting regularly, still had my TENs machine on and it was taking away some of the pain.
Wednesday 2nd November (40 +1 Weeks)
Around 2am I decided I wanted to go to hospital just to be checked out as I wanted to know if they were actually doing anything. So I rang my mum to tell her we were going in. We said that I would ring her when I was in established labour for her to come up. I was monitored for about an hour again and bloods were taken again. BP was high, but I was contracting and there was protein 2++ in my water. I was examined but was only 1cm. Now normally they would send you home, but due to my BP being high they wanted me to stay in. This made me upset again especially when DH had to leave. My mum had made her way up as she was worrying about me, but could only see me for half an hour before I was admitted. I was taken to the maternity ward and tried to get some sleep. Contractions had slowed down a bit to every 10 mins, and I was given Co-codomal. Still had my TENs on.
8am and I was strapped up to the monitor again. I was told it would only be for about 20 mins. 2 hours later I was still strapped up, unable to move much and I missed breakfast so I was starving! David had arrived at this point and I asked if could go off the monitor, MW said she thought I was already off it. Thing was though she didn’t take it off, she just ripped of the paper, but left everything else, then came back half an hour later and was like whats happened?? I said you left it on!! I didn’t like this MW as she just left me all day without anything, as if she couldn’t be bothered. David went and asked her what was happening and she just snapped back saying nothing can be done as ‘Im just in slow labour’. The doctor started her rounds at around 9am, but again I was left out and eventually got seen around 1pm!. She examined me and I was 2-3 cm. She didn’t want to do any intervention at this point and just wanted me to progress myself. I was going in the right direction just taking ages!! I was tired and fed up, I really wanted to go home and labour there so that I could have a bath and relax in my own home, but they wouldn’t let me. A nice MW who was looking after me now said I could have a bath there if that would settle me and she said she would give me a sedative at night to help me sleep/relax. I spent about 2 hours in the bath and that was nice. Contractions where still 20 mins apart. Mum had come up as it was visiting and she was disgusted by the treatment I had earlier. We spent the evening walking the corridors, contractions went to every 7 mins but as soon as I sat back down they slowed down. They let David stay a bit later tonight incase anything happened. By 11pm they told him to go home as nothing was happening. I had the sedative at night and it really did help me sleep. I was woken up everytime I had a contraction but I just fell straight back to sleep.
Thursday 3rd November (40 +2 Weeks)
Woke up a bit more refreshed as I had had a pretty decent night sleep. Contractions were still 20 mins apart. The nice MW was back on and she came to me early on to say that they were going to take me down to delivery and break my waters as soon as they were ‘free’. I asked if that would be today and she said definitely. Visiting time came and my mum and SIL came up. I was still only contracting every 20 mins but I mention to my sil that I felt like I was bearing down during them. She said it wouldn’t be long.
They left at 3pm and I went to the loo and I had my bloody show. I didn’t realise how much there would be!! About half an hour later I lost some more. I went for a lie down, contractions were the same 20 mins apart then at quarter to 5 mid contraction I felt a pop and a gush, and I knew that my waters had gone. David went to tell the MW and she eventually came about 20 mins later to put me on the monitor. Dinner was just being served and auxiliary nurse came to tell David he had to leave, he just said er No, her waters have just broke!! I was monitor for about half an hour and the contractions started to come more frequent and were stronger. I was still using my TENs and now left it on boost setting all the time, instead of just putting it on during a contraction! David went to ring my mum and at about Half 5 I was wheeled around to the delivery suite. I’m glad they left me on the bed as I really don’t think I could have walked round!
When in delivery I was hooked up again. I was told I had to stay on the monitor all throughout the labour now due to my high BP. That was birth plan completely out of the window. I had wanted a water birth, but was told that that was out of the question now. I was examined and was 5cm. Contractions where now 5 mins apart but where a lot stronger. I felt like I wanted to go to the toilet so I told the MW I wanted to go to the loo and she just said no you don’t need to push yet, your not at that stage yet. (I didn’t say I wanted to push I said I wanted a poo!!) After a few more contractions I really was getting the urge to push and my body was pushing. I was on gas and air at this point and I’m not really sure if it made any difference. The MW came back in and said I had to stop pushing as I wasn’t ready and I would make my cervix inflamed and slow everything down. She suggested I have pethedine as it would stop the urge to push. During pregnancy I was adamant I didn’t want pethadine as I knew it crossed the placenta, but she made it sound like if I didn’t I would slow everything down, and after everything I just wanted baby out. So I agreed. She was just about to inject me with in, then said wait a min, and she examined me. Baby’s head was right there and ready to come. I was told I had to leave the gas and air at this point to concentrate on pushing. The strange thing was I didn’t really feel the contractions at this point and just let my body push when it felt like I needed to. MW wasn’t ready at all, and even said that to my mum which just made her panic. She called quickly for another MW to come in and rushed to get all the equipment ready. I was pushing for about 10 mins, to get the head out. I couldn’t really feel it coming down and weren’t sure what I was doing was actually doing anything to get baby out but everybody kept telling me I was doing really well. I just remember screaming ‘Its stinging!’I was asked if I wanted to feel babies head at one point, but I didn’t really want to. We always joke about David being bald, and he said as baby was crowning, ‘its got more hair than me!!’ Once the head, I was told to look down and then the body came out and I lifted baby onto my chest. David then announced that we had a baby girl. David cut the cord and she was taken away to be cleaned, while I delivered the placenta. Seriously don’t remember/notice the injection! MW said I had a graze, but it wouldn’t stop bleeding so she put in two stitches. I later read my notes which said a 1st deg tear.
Florence was brought back to me and we had some skin to skin. Florence was born at 7.35pm, weighing 6lb 7oz making my ‘established’ labour only 2 hours 45 mins, but I was in slow labour for 48 hours!!
At about 11pm, Florence and I went back to the ward, we had trouble feeding for the first few days, with Flo struggling to latch on. I was producing plenty of colostrum that I was able to hand express and give to her in a syringe. After lots of help from the infant feeding team in hospital, who were very patient with us, we got bf established, and now she’s a booby monster!! We were finally allowed home on Sunday afternoon after Flo had to be monitored for jaundice, which cleared up after few days at home.

Yay for the safe arrival of your little one :)

Congrats again babe x

https://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww190/FreshHope_photos/comments/congratulations-2.gif

The moment a child is born,
The mother is also born.
She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never.
A mother is something absolutely new.
:kiss:

what a frustrating start…but I can't believe how fast it went once your waters had gone!!

Congrats hun!!

Some Pics of my princess

Attachments

• DSCF2792.jpg
    DSCF2792.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2910.jpg
    DSCF2910.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2960.jpg
    DSCF2960.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3