The mystery continues....-Update 11/6 Diagnosis

FarfromHome

1st time Mommy!
Reaction score
Hardest.Pregnancy.Ever. I am so frustrated and discouraged. This has honestly been one of the most confusing and hard things I've ever gone through...

So here's the long story in a nutshell. Last period was Sept 8th. I got a very, very faint positive on Sat. Oct 4th with FRER and FMU. Called my Drs. office that Monday ( Oct 6th) to discuss going on baby aspirin and progesterone as I was with my last pregnancy ( that resulted in my 2 year old) and I have a history of recurrent miscarriage. My Dr. was out of town so the on call Dr. finally called me back on Weds (8th) and told me that she thought I'd be fine going without the progesterone until I could get in to see my Dr. on the 14th. but to go ahead and start the baby aspirin.

So the next day (Thurs. 9th) I go work out and run to Target to get the baby aspirin. I come home and find out I am massively bleeding. So I call the Drs office, tell them I'm having a chemical pregnancy. Expected period was supposed to be on Monday 4th, so I'm only a few days past that. I bled heavily for 4 days, lots heavier than a period and lots of clots. Things finally lightened up on Monday evening the 13th and I headed to my Drs. appt on the next morning to talk about everything that had happened.

My Dr. didn't really want to talk a lot about things until I had my beta HCG drawn so I headed to the lab. So beta on Tuesday, Oct 14 was 199 and progesterone was only 3. Dr. called me back that afternoon and said the numbers looked like a confirmation of what I was describing with the chemical pregnancy. He wanted them to be re-done on Thurs to confirm my HCG was dropping.

Thursday afternoon rolls around and I get a call back from my Dr. to give me the results from my blood test that morning. HCG had almost tripled to 530(?!) He put me on Prometrium right away and instructed me to go back on Saturday to have my betas re-drawn again. Saturday's betas...930.

So 14th : 200 16th: 530 18th: 930

My Dr. calls me on Monday morning the 20th and says he's happy with the progression but obviously my betas are "low" according to where I was supposed to be with my LMP ( I should have been in my 5th week then). I have no idea when I ovulated. He instructed me to keep taking my progesterone and we would do an ultrasound Oct 28th (yesterday). I should have been far enough along to see something then.

I went to my appt yesterday and the ultrasound didn't go very well. He couldn't see anything in my uterus except for an area with a really built up lining...no sac. Couldn't see anything in my tubes either but said I have a very healthy looking Corpus Luteum cyst on my left ovary. Because that is what supplies the progesterone in early pregnancy he told me he didn't want me to worry that not getting on progesterone earlier had caused the miscarriage. He sent me home with instructions to stop the progesterone and that would probably get the miscarriage moving. He also wanted me to have two more sets of betas done to again make sure they were going down. He suspected my beta was probably already way down from the last draw. He also told me that there was chance I could have a very tiny ectopic happening ( he obviously didn't see anything indicating that on the ultrasound) but to head to the ER right away if I was having any severe pain.

Here's where the mystery continues. I had my blood drawn yesterday morning and my Beta's have again increased appropriately. I believe they were close to 6000 at this point. So from 930 to almost 6,000 in 10 days My next Beta draw is tomorrow but I am honestly just so confused. Especially since if my betas were that high we should have been able to see something on ultrasound. I thought my Dr. said you have to be in the 5000-6000 range to see something.

I went home yesterday convinced for the second time this pregnancy that it was over. But now, I'm not so sure. I'm not "getting my hopes up" and am certainly feeling very logical about everything...but I just really don't know how to feel. Everything is such a mystery. I just want to know one way or another. :nope: Sorry for such the long post, I just really wanted to get all of this off my chest.

Sorry I have no advice to give, but wishing you all the luck in the world for a sticky bean and hope you get some answers Soon xx

So sorry u are going through this. Sending big hugs:hugs:

Im so sorry your going through this...I couldn't imagine. :hugs:
I think maybe you could have just ovulated later, and if you did then it would have been too early to see anything on the ultrasound...and it would make sense that your betas were "low".
I just feel like it there wasn't anything in your uterus, because you were miscarrying then your betas shouldnt have had a rise.
I have a friend who had an ultrasound at 5 weeks....she thought she was 6 weeks at the time, but had ovulated late...and there wasnt a single thing on the ultrasound at 5 weeks. did another scan at 9 weeks and there the baby was. I really hope everything turns out fine for you and I will be thinking of you :hugs:

my niece had a heavy flow similar to a period for four months of her pregnancy. she was a teen and she didnt know she was pregnant because of this. her baby turned out healthy and beautiful. but i dont know the details i just know her due date last year is the same as mine this year.

I bled heavily with clots with both pregnancies. (We check for heartbeat tomorrow, 1st pregnancy was ok) Anyways, it does all sound very confusing!!! But I agree that you probably ovulated way later than the 'norm' I believe someone on here had an early scan (4 weeks and something) and they only saw very thick lining, no sac. A few weeks later...baby with a heartbeat :) hope it all goes well hun!!!

:hugs:
No advice but lots of positive thoughts your way! My mom had bleeding early on with me, she was told she was miscarrying but went for a check 2 weeks later to make sure everything had passed and there I was bouncing around with a nice strong heart rate!

Thanks, everyone :hugs: This has just been so hard. I switch from feeling like everything is OK, to I'm definitely going to miscarry, to feeling like a walking time bomb that is going to go off when my ectopic pregnancy ruptures....so needless to say my emotions have been all over the place. Really trying to stay positive but I have a horrible fear of general anesthesia/surgery so the whole ectopic issue is *really* stressing me out.

I do wonder if I ovulated later because I was using OPKs and kept getting negatives....so I got stressed out and gave up using them. I figured I would just rather not know. Now, I kind of wish I had continued to use them. I think I was still getting negatives on like CD 11 and 12. Plus, I still had a negative test at 12po. Which is odd for me because my previous pregnancies I had always had positives by then. Finally got a positive on CD 13 with FRER and FMU but it was faint. Digi was negative that night. I don't know :shrug: I've been googling everything under the sun and it seems like while there's been a few situations like mine they've all had different outcomes....

My husband is having a hard time understanding everything (understandably) so I know this has been really stressful on him too and it's difficult to explain things when he doesn't "get" beta levels and whatnot.

I've had some brown spotting off and on now too that's concerning. I just don't know :wacko: To make things even more strange I *really* feel like I've been growing...I've had a lot of round ligament pain and my belly is quite large. I know some of it is leftover pregnancy pudge/bloat/ whatnot but my pants are not fitting and I actually lost 8 lbs the first two weeks after my BFP because I've been feeling so sick.

This was me the other night. It's kind of crazy. I'm not a very "big" person and my tummy does not look that normally. I had just had pancakes for dinner though :haha:

I think my second set of Betas will show a lot tomorrow. I don't even really know what to hope for. I'm praying that if this baby wasn't meant to be here with us that my betas will start to go down and I will start to bleed so that I can have some peace and closure about everything and begin to heal.

Attachments

• Meg (800x600).jpg
    Meg (800x600).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 48
Hope you get some answers soon :hugs:

You def look preggers:flower:

Dr. called this afternoon with my beta results from this morning. They had only slightly creeped up from 5700 to 6300. My Dr. hopes this will be the "beginning of the end" and that they'll start to fall now. I have another blood draw on Saturday morning and then Monday morning to see what my HCG is doing. If it's not falling by next week and I still have nothing in my uterus, I'll probably have to have the Methotrexate shot since they can't 100% rule out an ectopic. :cry:

I'm so very sorry :hugs:

I had an 'ectopic' a few years ago (they were never able to find anything in uterus or in my tubes). My numbers acted normal then rose in small increments although they were never as high as yours. I was given Methotrexate, it was really scary. I know how you feel about being a time bomb. I hope that you won't need the Methotrexate.

Best wishes for you.:hugs:

sorry to hear ur going through this hun big hugs to you i hope u get a clear answer soon x

how did ur bloods go today?? have u had ur result back yet?? x

I hope it's OK, but I'm planning to leave this thread open so that hopefully I can post a conclusion and if anyone is in a similar situation in the future they can know how everything turned out for me.

My Dr. called this afternoon with my beta results and they've started to fall. I think they were around 6300 last Thursday (10/30) and they've fallen back down to 5900 as of Saturday ( 11/1). It's so bittersweet...I've been praying for them to fall as I would really love my body to be able to take care of itself naturally and avoid me getting the Methotrexate. But, obviously, it's just the sadness of knowing this pregnancy will soon be over. We are so grateful for this little life and the gift of the weeks that God gave us to be with this baby...even as hard as miscarriage is.

My Dr. seems to be very in support of my body trying to "do it's thing" naturally also, so I'm grateful that he's been calm about everything and willing to watch my betas so that we can hopefully avoid any surgical/chemical intervention.

So, from here, I had a beta drawn today (11/3) and I'll get the results Wednesday. Hopefully, they'll have fallen again. If they do, I'll just have weekly beta monitoring and then at ultrasound probably next week to see about that really thick part of my lining. I haven't bled since my last ultrasound so I'm also praying that I'll start to bleed soon. With me going off the progesterone, I'm actually really surprised I haven't. If my numbers do go up then I'm sure we'll be back to talking about me getting the Methotrexate. I'm assuming if my doc finds my numbers from today doing anything weird there won't be anymore waiting and I'll be getting the shot this week.

Thank you so much for all your kind thoughts and words. I appreciate it! :hugs:

I am so sorry for your lost. You are so strong and brave.

I will be praying for you.

So sorry your going through this.
I know how you feel,the whole waiting process and being left in limo is horrible
1 mintue your positive then next your dreading the worse and then after that can still be left unsure.
im in similar boat,waiting and waiting for the loss to happen.
non doubling levels over a week
two early scans with development
yesturdays scan showed baby but STILL measuring 5 weeks :(
Have to wait till next monday see whats happening.
pretty sure im heading for a MMC.

Stacey89- If you see this I'm really sorry to hear about what you're going through also. It's so heartbreaking :hugs:

Well, this afternoon after another ultrasound, I was diagnosed ectopic. When my Dr. called yesterday to give me the lab results my HCG had gone back up to 6700. This morning I had stat labs and they had risen again to 9000. On ultrasound I had what looked like three cysts on my left ovary. My Dr. said one of the "cysts" might actually be my tube all bulged out but he felt like I was a good candidate for the methotrexate shot if I wanted to do it. He said he was totally fine with me deciding either way between the methotrexate and surgery. We decided to give the shot a try and so I went to the hospital this afternoon and had two injections in my hip.

So, after all these weeks and all the bloodtests and ultrasounds that's where we're at. I'm still in a little bit of shock about it all to be honest. Just going to take it easy for a few days and hope the methotrexate does it's work and my hcg falls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->