The new fruit and veg reccomendations- HOW?

missk1989

Reaction score
10 portions of fruit and veg a day! I struggle with getting 5. Not because I dont like it but because I cant afford to buy and waste a load of exspensive fresh veg. They are saying now that frozen veg is bad for you so how is this even affordable! I have managed to get some reduced veg and make a vegetable hash for lunch and some can be added to dinner tonight. Will probably swap from potatoes to sweet potatoes where possible. I have fruit maybe twice a day but working 5 days a week as a college teacher there arent that many opportunities to snack.
Any ideas ladies? What will you be doing?

I just eat it when i can. I cant afford it all

I struggle with 5 a day too.

xxx

I struggle to get 5 let alone 7 - anythings better than nothing though.

I don't think frozen is bad for you - there's no biological reason why it should be. I'm assuming that if your main source of fruit and veg is frozen then you're possibly more likely to eat convenience foods (compared to fresh veg eaters who probably cook from scratch more). Therefore the convenience food lifestyle is probably what brings about worse health rather than actually caused by frozen veg. I think it's an indirect consequence not direct.

You could get upto 5 in a big salad so I probably manage 7 atleast everyday. My kids are more around 5 and id struggle to get more.

^^ before anyone shouts at me for my post above this is a generalisation but I know not the case for everyone. I myself cook from scratch a lot with fresh and frozen. I'll often make a spag bog with fresh onions, mushrooms etc but throw in frozen sweetcorn.

I get about 3 in the morning with a green smoothie then 3/4 with a big salad for dinner then 2/3 for tea. I don't eat normal potatos only sweet and have veg with everything. It's not too hard if you want to do it, personally. Also you could add fruit to breakfast or salad veg on the side of a sandwich ect. That is my normal day obviously i have the odd day with naughty food but my main food is this.

God I'm lucky if I get any fruit/veg in a day sometimes. I should really take some time to plan/prepare meals so I can squeeze it in :dohh:

https://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26818377

I think actually it's frozen fruit that's thought to be "bad" rather than frozen veg. Although fresh is supposed to be better than frozen according to study. I assume the frozen fruit is bad because it's normally frozen in a sugary syrup.

I always have frozen veg on standby, better than having nothing at all.

Im pretty sure i already eat 7 fruit and veg a day easily just from normal meals.
If you can buy fruit and veg anywhere other than the supermarket, its always a massive mark up there!

I probably do that already. Normally have some fruit or a smoothie in the morning. Salads. Even meals that normally have tomatoes, onion, mushroom etc. Beans and pulses count as one portion too.

I find it quite easy to be honest to have at least five. If you have a smoothie or a glass of fresh juice in the morning that's one or two, a salad with lunch another two or three and veg with dinner in the evening you have another two or three. If I don't have salad or veg with my meals I make sure I snack on fruit a lot throughout the day.

I might come across as really uneducated here but how much is a portion?

Last night I had a stir fry and had 2 tomatoes, 2 peppers and an onion in it but that was between 2 people. Would that be classed as 3 portions since its 3 different things?

I could easily fit lot in for lucas like this if that was the case as he woukd eat fruit and veg as his only food if I let him, but myself id say 2-3 a day is my max :(

A portion is usually classed as around 80g.

I hadn't heard of the guidelines going up to ten a day.

I eat a lot, mainly of veg, but I don't think it'd be ten portions a day.

Does it have to be 5 different things?

I hate fruit! That makes it difficult

I get about 11 a day! I'm addicted to raw veggies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->