The new fruit and veg reccomendations- HOW?

Im going to sound like a right s****y parent here. DS usualy eats 3/5 portions of fruit a day. He loves the stuff. The last time he ate any veg was about 3 days ago in a lasagne. He wont touch it, and wont eat sauces, so i cant blend them in.
I actually can not remember the last time my OH ate a piece of fruit, or a vegetable that wasnt a potato.
I love salads, fruit and veg and would have it with every meal if i could, i used to add lits of veg to our meals but then stoped cooking when the morning sickness started, and OH never prepares any veg.
I love salads but its such a waste to buy just for me, theres noway i can eat it all before it goes all funky.
I have found the local indian veg shops are great though, we picked up 40 bananas for £1 the otherday, 16 apples£1.

Im going to sound like a right s****y parent here. DS usualy eats 3/5 portions of fruit a day. He loves the stuff. The last time he ate any veg was about 3 days ago in a lasagne. He wont touch it, and wont eat sauces, so i cant blend them in.
I actually can not remember the last time my OH ate a piece of fruit, or a vegetable that wasnt a potato.
I love salads, fruit and veg and would have it with every meal if i could, i used to add lits of veg to our meals but then stoped cooking when the morning sickness started, and OH never prepares any veg.
I love salads but its such a waste to buy just for me, theres noway i can eat it all before it goes all funky.
I have found the local indian veg shops are great though, we picked up 40 bananas for £1 the otherday, 16 apples£1.

Ive always wanted to check them stores out. We have one in town but no parking nearby. I want to buy a chest freezer to put all the reduced foods i get in so would also use it for preserving some fruit and veg. £1 is amazing for all that!

Ive always wanted to check them stores out. We have one in town but no parking nearby. I want to buy a chest freezer to put all the reduced foods i get in so would also use it for preserving some fruit and veg. £1 is amazing for all that!

I would say deffo check them out. Especially if you can get to a really big one that sells flour, rice etc in bulk, they tend to be the cheapest. i remember my mum making me go with her when i was a kid, i hated it. Its always so busy and you have to que for what seems like forever but well worth it.

I agree it's really difficult to get children to eat veg. If I produced a green smoothie for him he would look at me like I have two heads. Luckily I can disguise it into small chunks and he's ok with that but it is a faff. I give veg with every meal just so he can understand what a balanced meal looks like but I'm not going to force him to eat it

I do not find it easy to get my 5 a day let alone 7 or 10.
I eat 1 slice toast, 30g muesli or a muller light yoghurt and a coffee for breakfast. Ds might have a bite of toast or a spoonful of yoghurt but he doesn't do mornings.
Lunch could be anything sometimes leftovers, a sandwich if I've only had yoghurt for breakfast. A salad which would be 2 portions of veg. Occasionally I'll eat an apple after if it was sandwiches.
Dinner is the usual with 1 or maybe 2 veg unless we are having a roast and I do lots of different things so that we have bubble n squeak the next day.
If we have certain dinners there's no veg in it, like chicken curry or something.
We don't snack Or have desserts very often. I offer ds a banana or grapes and he rarely wants much if any. If he ate a banana mid morning he wouldn't eat a single thing at lunch.
Ds will have half a tomato with lunch if he feels like it.
So I don't know how I can get any more in.
Dh eats even less veg but will snack on fruit if he's at home and I'm not available to make food.
Most of the fruit I buy goes mouldy and in the bin.
Xx

For those saying they can do it easily, I wonder if you are really having a 'portion' or just several types of fruit/veg a day, but which don't count as a portion.

There is no way I could eat 7 a day. I have to have a high calorie diet to keep my weight up and there is no way I could do that eating so much fruit and veg.

How much actually is a portion? I remember reading somewhere a portion is a 'handful' but I dunno :wacko:

For those asking about portion size:

5 A DAY fruit portions

Small-sized fresh fruit

One portion is two or more small fruit, for example two plums, two satsumas, two kiwi fruit, three apricots, six lychees, seven strawberries or 14 cherries.

Medium-sized fresh fruit

One portion is one piece of fruit, such as one apple, banana, pear, orange or nectarine.

Large fresh fruit

One portion is half a grapefruit, one slice of papaya, one slice of melon (5cm slice), one large slice of pineapple or two slices of mango (5cm slices).

Dried fruit

A portion of dried fruit is around 30g. This is about one heaped tablespoon of raisins, currants or sultanas, one tablespoon of mixed fruit, two figs, three prunes or one handful of dried banana chips.

Tinned fruit in natural juice

One portion is roughly the same quantity of fruit that you would eat for a fresh portion, such as two pear or peach halves, six apricot halves or eight segments of tinned grapefruit.

5 A DAY vegetable portions

Green vegetables

Two broccoli spears or four heaped tablespoons of cooked kale, spinach, spring greens or green beans count as one portion.
Cooked vegetables

Three heaped tablespoons of cooked vegetables, such as carrots, peas or sweetcorn, or eight cauliflower florets count as one portion.

Salad vegetables

Three sticks of celery, a 5cm piece of cucumber, one medium tomato or seven cherry tomatoes count as one portion.

Tinned and frozen vegetables

Roughly the same quantity as you would eat for a fresh portion. For example, three heaped tablespoons of tinned or frozen carrots, peas or sweetcorn count as one portion each. Choose those canned in water, with no added salt or sugar.

Pulses and beans

Three heaped tablespoons of baked beans, haricot beans, kidney beans, cannellini beans, butter beans or chickpeas count as one portion each. Remember, however much you eat, beans and pulses count as a maximum of one portion a day.

Potatoes

Potatoes don't count towards your 5 A DAY. This is the same for yams, cassava and plantain too. They are classified nutritionally as a starchy food, because when eaten as part of a meal they are usually used in place of other sources of starch, such as bread, rice or pasta. Although they don't count towards your 5 A DAY, potatoes do play an important role in your diet as a starchy food. You can learn more in 5 A DAY: what counts?

5 A DAY in juices and smoothies

One 150ml glass of unsweetened 100% fruit or vegetable juice can count as a portion. But only one glass counts, so further glasses of juice don't count towards your total 5 A DAY portions.
A smoothie containing all the edible pulped fruit or vegetable may count as more than one 5 A DAY portion, but this depends on the quantity of fruits or vegetables or juice used, as well as how the smoothie has been made.
For example, for a single smoothie to qualify as being two portions, it must contain either:
at least 80g of one variety of whole fruit and/or vegetable and at least 150ml of a different variety of 100% fruit and/or vegetable juice, or
at least 80g of one variety of whole fruit and/or vegetable and at least 80g of another variety of whole fruit and/or vegetable
Sugars are released from fruit when it's juiced or blended, and these sugars can cause damage to teeth. Whole fruits are less likely to cause tooth decay because the sugars are contained within the structure of the fruit.

5 A DAY and ready-made foods

Fruit and vegetables contained in shop-bought ready-made foods can also count toward your 5 A DAY.
Always read the label. Some ready-made foods contain high levels of fat, salt and sugar, so only have them occasionally or in small amounts as part of a healthy balanced diet. You can find out more in Food labels.

For those saying they can do it easily, I wonder if you are really having a 'portion' or just several types of fruit/veg a day, but which don't count as a portion.

There is no way I could eat 7 a day. I have to have a high calorie diet to keep my weight up and there is no way I could do that eating so much fruit and veg.

yes i am def having a portion,
I usually eat a grapefruit in the morning or a banana
fruit and veg with lunch and also for dinner we often just have chicken with carrots,broc,peas,sweetcorn etc

It sounds like you have a specific reason that you can't have 7 a day, fair enough. But there's a lot of people (me included) that don't do so 'just because' they don't make such an effort.

My kids definitely have full portions and I do believe it's easily done. They like a fruit salad and yogurt for breakfast (easily 3 portions at least), a mid morning snack (usually an apple or banana), cucumber/tomatoes/beetroot with their lunch which is another 2 depending on what they have, then at least two veggies with most meals. If you/your children are not picky eaters then it's definitely easy I'd say!

i tend to eat 5 portions a day. LO gets about 6-7 a day.

i use frozen veg quite alot as its easier, i do cook 95% of meals from scratch & still use frozen veg.

LO has an apple, a banana & half an orange most days of the week - this adds up to about 8p a day. and then she has veg for dinner & tomatos & cucumber most lunches.
-of course her portion sizes are smaller than an adults so a whole apple = 2portions.
it is doable if you buy the cheaper apples etc. for example i buy 14 apples for £2 in iceland, where as in tesco the pink lady apples are £3.50 for 5 apples??

bananas i pay 51p for 7 & oranges £2 for 10. x

Obviously 2 portions of the same thing still only counts towards one of your five a day but if it didn't I reckon I could easily get 5 portions of pineapple in a day ;) haha. Seriously though you'd be surprised at how small some of the portions actually are for some foods.

I think the argument against frozen/canned is that the process can cause some loss of the nutrition value, not necessarily that they're unhealthy for you. But if you're working with a budget, it's better than nothing.

I always keep bags of frozen veggies to add to casseroles/soups, even if it's from fresh otherwise. I also like to use frozen fruit instead of ice for stuff like smoothies - less filler, extra flavor.

I usually don't track exactly how many servings I have of everything, just try to keep the bread and chocolate to a reasonable amount, and do stuff like have a big salad for lunch, or some fruit along with breakfast.

Ergh I can barely afford 5 a day as it is. I love eating well but fresh fruit and vegetables are so expensive :( I can mostly only afford to make sure LO gets enough, so I tend to go without way much more than I should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->