The Open University and Distance Learning thread

Have to wait until Wednesday to get my final exam grade for my last class....so nervous!

How's everything going for everyone?

I got my results for last years modules, a Pass for S104 and Distinction for S141 :happydance:

This year I'm taking MU123 Discovering Maths, SK277 Human Biology and S283 Planetary Science and the Search for Life. I'm a little worried that I've taken too much on, as 90 credits at level 1 was intense enough!

Plus I haven't heard from Student Finance yet despite applying at the beginning of August so that's stressful!

And I really need to get ahead because I'm away for a week in October and I desperately don't want to end up behind because last year that was hell.

Hi ladies just a question on the Open Uni.. Can you only do one module at a time? I had to defer a module and was wondering whether I could pick it up again when it starts again AND start a second module as well? xx

You can do up to 120/150 credits at a time so you'll be able to do more than one :flower:

congrats on the pass day_dreamer! :dance:

I got my pass for AA100 this year and have finished all the modules for A151 I just have the exam to do next month eeek! I start AD281 Understanding global heritage, A150 Voices and texts and A251 World archaeology this year :)

Thank-you, so technically speaking someone could complete a BA in less than the usual 3 years??

Also wondering, does it matter what order you do your modules?? xx

Thank-you, so technically speaking someone could complete a BA in less than the usual 3 years??

If you took the maximum credits each time you might just be able to complete a little under 3 years, but not by much I don't think.

It depends on which degree route you're going to do. I think if you're doing an Open degree then the order of your modules is less important...but I think everyone has to complete their level 1 modules before starting level 2, and same with level 2 and 3. For example, I did 90 credits at level 1 last September and had to enrol for my final 30 level 1 credits alongside my level 2 modules or I wouldn't be able to start them. Does that make sense?

Also, most of the level 3 modules and some of the level 2 modules have pre-requisites so it's a good idea to look at the level 3s and work backwards rather than picking the level 1s then level 2s and finding out you've not taken the right modules for the level 3s you want. That's what the OU advised me anyway, lol.

Good luck!

How's everything going for everyone?

I got my results for last years modules, a Pass for S104 and Distinction for S141 :happydance:

This year I'm taking MU123 Discovering Maths, SK277 Human Biology and S283 Planetary Science and the Search for Life. I'm a little worried that I've taken too much on, as 90 credits at level 1 was intense enough!

Plus I haven't heard from Student Finance yet despite applying at the beginning of August so that's stressful!

And I really need to get ahead because I'm away for a week in October and I desperately don't want to end up behind because last year that was hell.

:happydance::happydance: Go you :D

Did you manage to get ahead in prep for going away?

S283 is a brilliant module, I really enjoyed it!

Hi ladies just a question on the Open Uni.. Can you only do one module at a time? I had to defer a module and was wondering whether I could pick it up again when it starts again AND start a second module as well? xx

You can do up to 120/150 credits at a time so you'll be able to do more than one :flower:

congrats on the pass day_dreamer! :dance:

I got my pass for AA100 this year and have finished all the modules for A151 I just have the exam to do next month eeek! I start AD281 Understanding global heritage, A150 Voices and texts and A251 World archaeology this year :)

Yeah this right, not sure how it works if you are getting it funded. A friend was told they would only fund 60 credits at a time (this was under the old funding though). Best to phone and ask :flow:

Well done on the pass! I hope your exam went well :)

The thing to consider is how big the workload would be. I had an overlap where there were 3 modules I was doing at the same time and it was very hard going even though the kids were in school and I wasn't working.

If you took the maximum credits each time you might just be able to complete a little under 3 years, but not by much I don't think.

It depends on which degree route you're going to do. I think if you're doing an Open degree then the order of your modules is less important...but I think everyone has to complete their level 1 modules before starting level 2, and same with level 2 and 3. For example, I did 90 credits at level 1 last September and had to enrol for my final 30 level 1 credits alongside my level 2 modules or I wouldn't be able to start them. Does that make sense?

Also, most of the level 3 modules and some of the level 2 modules have pre-requisites so it's a good idea to look at the level 3s and work backwards rather than picking the level 1s then level 2s and finding out you've not taken the right modules for the level 3s you want. That's what the OU advised me anyway, lol.

Good luck!

Aye, I did the Open BSc - the order doesn't matter much. I only counted 60 credits from L1 as well. People jump in at L2 or L3 without doing L1 modules but often don't do so well.

Definitely a good idea to look at all the modules at all the levels and plan for what you'll need to do to get the qualification you want to aim for. SOmetimes they change or pull modules but they usually give an idea of how many more presentations of it they're planning on.

Good luck everybody! :kiss:

I'm just still waiting for going back in Feb, got impatient and bought the module textbooks second hand off the internet!!

Are you doing an MA tallybee? What are you doing it in? Eeeeek how scary/exciting!

I got a distinction in my Exploring Psychology module, yay! Just started my childhood psychology a few weeks ago and at the moment I'm finding it a bit dull, sure it'll get harder soon though. Will be overlapping it with cognitive psychology in Feb which I am getting nervous about, apparently it is more like a statistics course than psychology...why did I have to split with my maths teacher OH :dohh:

Are you doing an MA tallybee? What are you doing it in? Eeeeek how scary/exciting!

I got a distinction in my Exploring Psychology module, yay! Just started my childhood psychology a few weeks ago and at the moment I'm finding it a bit dull, sure it'll get harder soon though. Will be overlapping it with cognitive psychology in Feb which I am getting nervous about, apparently it is more like a statistics course than psychology...why did I have to split with my maths teacher OH :dohh:

I am aiming for MSc Science and Society :thumbup: I'm looking forward to it but quite apprehensive at the same time!

:happydance::happydance::happydance: for distinction! I'm sure you'll be ok with the overlap. Stats used to scare the living shit out of me but I found I got into it when it was used on subject matter I was actually interested in. I'm not an expert but could try and help if you needed?

:D

Hey, is anyone still here? :p

I've started the first module for the MSc, I'm quite daunted but I think I can get myself round it.

xxx

The MSc sounds very interesting :)

I'm plodding away with my last level 1, MST121 and my first level 2, SK277 - they're going ok but my level 2 tutor is really rubbish :(

How's everyone else doing?

Eeeek tally how far into it are you? Is it a big step up from the degree?

I am finding this childhood psychology module very dull so not feeling motivated :( however I have handed in 3 tmas so far and gotten 85, 86 and another 86 so getting a first is beginning to feel more realistic! My cognitive psychology module just started too but I'm too scared to even pick up the textbook....

The MSc sounds very interesting :)

I'm plodding away with my last level 1, MST121 and my first level 2, SK277 - they're going ok but my level 2 tutor is really rubbish :(

How's everyone else doing?

Yeah it is interesting so far! Sorry to hear your tutor is rubbish, not sure but I think I vaguely remember something about being able to request to change tutor groups, maybe worth asking?

Eeeek tally how far into it are you? Is it a big step up from the degree?

I am finding this childhood psychology module very dull so not feeling motivated :( however I have handed in 3 tmas so far and gotten 85, 86 and another 86 so getting a first is beginning to feel more realistic! My cognitive psychology module just started too but I'm too scared to even pick up the textbook....

I've only just started really, block 1 is quite introductory but there's TMA01 for March 12th so getting cracking! It is a step up, you're expected to figure far more out without so much guidance. I'm really glad to have the background I do - with OU - it's a huge advantage knowing how they work and a good amount of the exercises and documents to work through during the introduction, are familiar already.

Your grades are fantastic! You should be well on your way to a first :D

I hope your motivation comes back soon. Hopefully once you get started on the new module it'll flow better xxx How many more TMAs are there on the dull module?

xxxxx

Just wondering could anyone explain how your overall result/class of honours is calculated once you complete the degree? I'm currently halfway through English lit ba xx

This page is not official OU but someone has made a calculator where you type in your modules and grades/predicted grades and it works it out for you. https://cleveret.net/?page_id=29

This is the actual OU page explaining how they calculate your class of Hons. https://www.open.ac.uk/students/cha...cms/web-content/honours-class-working-out.pdf It's a bit confusing but basically level 3 modules are double weighted towards your final classification compared to level 2 modules, whilst AFAIK all level 1 modules are simply pass/fail with no impact on the final degree class (a pass is a pass).

Does anybody know if the k101 is an acceptable entry requirement to become a health care assistant please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->