The Open University and Distance Learning thread

That's a great score :D

my assignments were only due last week so I've not gotten the results back.

So was mine, never had a tma marked so quickly before! Still waiting for the final result of my last module, handed my tma in in early october!

Hi guys,

I start A100 in Feb and i just got a letter with the set books, do i have to buy/read all of these to do the course!?

Hi :wave: not been on in a while. In limbo waiting for those final results..... they don't half make you wait for final results.

I hope things are OK Tegans Mama :hugs:

Louandivy, that's a brilliant score :)

Pandora, the set books list is usually stuff you'll need to buy, ebay is a good bet or here: https://www.universitybooksearch.co.uk/buyer.asp

I don't know how they do it on your course but the ones I've done with set books (in addition to the ones provided as course materials), not everything in the set books is used/covered. You'll be told what bits to study as you go through the course :)

xxx

Hi guys,

I start A100 in Feb and i just got a letter with the set books, do i have to buy/read all of these to do the course!?

Hey hun
I'm also starting this, I am going on to do a BA in history and classical studies. I've not done anything since I left college when I was 17 (apart from an nvq through work) so bit nervous about doing 30hrs a week but looking forward to using my brain again!
I've bought the books on ebay much cheaper (second hand but im not fussy!) and waiting for them to turn up so I can read them all and get a good grasp on them before the course begins!
x

Yeah, getting books early is a smart move anyway to get a head start :D

Good luck!

I'm getting really impatient for results now :brat:

Im hoping to be on this thread soon as ive applied to start my degree in February through the OU. Il be doing Criminology and Pyschological studies!x

Im hoping to be on this thread soon as ive applied to start my degree in February through the OU. Il be doing Criminology and Pyschological studies!x

You're welcome any time hun!

I've been neglecting this thread again, sorry everyone.

I have fabulous news though - results came out, I got a Distinction for S366 Evolution and Grade 2 Pass for S330 Oceanography - I have been offered (and accepted obvs!) First Class Honours for my BSc Open :D

To say I am pleased, is the understatement of the year!

I never thought I would get there, it's taken me 5 years altogether. Many times I felt I couldn't do it, but I have. I think I am living proof that if you really want to get there, put in the effort and keep going.... we can all get where we want to be eventually :flower:

I will be popping back to the thread of course, but for now - ALL THE BEST to everyone for current and future studies :D

Big Big congrats Tally! that's a really great score :dance::dance::dance:

Just joining this thread because I have reserved a place on OU course starting in March. :happydance:

Never done anything like this before but I am very excited and can't wait to get studying. I am doing the starting with psychology opening course and then planning on doing the social science course. x

Haven't been on this thread for ages!

Welcome Tina :)

I'm still ploughing my way through S104 Exploring Science and S141 Maths for Science/Understanding the Weather and enjoying it mostly.

I got way behind over Christmas so have had to withdraw from the module I was planning to start in February, which means I won't be able to complete my degree in 3 years like I'd hoped, but at least I can concentrate on doing my best now and preparing for my THREE HOUR EXAM!!!

Hope everyone else is getting on alright :)

Good luck with the revision day_dreamer :flower:

Welcome to the group Tina! :D

I have a quick question if anyone can help. I am starting the first module of my degree towards the end of the year, in the meantime I will be doing an introduction course.

At the moment, I am in receipt of income support but when universal credit comes in I am a bit concerned how this will affect me. Will I still be expected to apply for jobs when studying ? And when I am no longer eligible for income support, is there any kind of financial assistance ?

At the moment, I am in receipt of income support but when universal credit comes in I am a bit concerned how this will affect me. Will I still be expected to apply for jobs when studying ? And when I am no longer eligible for income support, is there any kind of financial assistance ?

Welcome :)

I must admit I know nothing about the new universal credit but as far as I'm aware, there is no financial support for studying with the open university. I'm not aware of any, anyway! Wish there was!

Are you talking about getting a student loan? Maybe you could contact Student Loans for advice, i'm sure with all the changes they'll be having a lot of calls relating to benefits/studying.

i have a student loan for the OU and it wasn't means/income tested(me & DH work), so that would lead me to believe that you could have it.

I can't imagine you'd be made to look for work if you can prove you are studying? (there's a benefit and student finance forum on money saving expert)

You can't get a student loan whilst studying with the OU. You can get a fees loan, which goes directly to them, but there is no support for living costs etc. You are expected to support yourself.

No, you can't live off it (i never said she could) and yes it does go directly to the OU for fees. Yes, it's a 'tuition fee loan' but classed as/referred to as a student loan on the website and all of my documentation. I thought tina_h75 was concerned about funding her degree, there's no need to be pedantic.

I got an email from the OU last week saying if you have a household income under £16600ish you can get financial help from the learner support fund so there is help for students.

^^^^ pp above is correct, a student loan is for fees, a maintenance loan is for living costs.

No, you can't live off it (i never said she could) and yes it does go directly to the OU for fees. Yes, it's a 'tuition fee loan' but classed as/referred to as a student loan on the website and all of my documentation. I thought tina_h75 was concerned about funding her degree, there's no need to be pedantic.

Omg no need for that tone o_O

Most people class a student loan as money that goes directly into a student's pocket, as per at traditional unis. Financial assistance for fees is generally considered to be an entirely different thing imvho.

thanks for you replies, it was living costs rather then study fees I was worried about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->