The pill and depression

kitabird

Mammy to 2 boys
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience? I've been on the combined pill for 15 years, only coming off it to have my 2 kids. I have also had problems with depression and mood disorders that whole time. I was feeling pretty good (for me) a few months ago, but then I started back on the pill. 2 days later I felt weepy and have been feeling down ever since. I'm not sure if the pill would have even had time to affect my mood after 2 days? I don't know whether to try the mini pill, or if any hormone based contraceptive would be just as bad. Any experiences are appreciated :flower:

I don't have a lot of experience with that per say- but I know that any pill I've been on can really affect me physically and emotionally. I was on a pill for years prior to LO- and it was good enough, but after LO I went on the mini pill and that was fine till I stopped pumping. Then loestrin (low does estrogen) and that pill was FANTASTIC! Barely any PMS- no periods- and lovely. Then they discontinued it! Idiots- lol. So I was put on something "similar" - but within days I could tell it wasn't- and my PMS was HORRID and my period was awful... so I said forget that! And asked for something else- and it truly is very similar to the Loestrin and my PMS is very mild and again, no periods. I'm scheduled for an IUD in 2wks- only cause I am horrid at remembering to take my pill some months and don't want to risk it (no matter how small the risk).

You might ask about the IUD- or try another pill hun. I for sure think it factors in our mood- and if you don't like what your on, there are SO many options. Be your own advocate and push for something with less hormones to see if that helps- or ask for the IUD if that suits you better. Least that way you won't have to deal with hormones!

Best of luck! :hugs:

I've suffered with depression and anxiety and it sort of co-incided with the mini-pill BUT - and here's the problem with trying to define causation - I was going on the pill because I was in my first ever serious relationship, I was away from home (university) with very little support network and burning the candle at both ends with alcohol, partying, academic work and work to make money. Recipe for depression even without added hormones! I think they can exacerbate existing issues so it is worth trying a few to see if there is a difference.

Yes. Yes. Yes. I know of NUMEROUS people who get depression on the pill, I urge EVERYONE who suffers from depression to look at their hormonal contraception if on it. I can not be on the pill, it was only coming off it and having my eldest that I realised straight away the difference it made, I have never felt so good and haven't looked back, this was 4 years ago. I went on Yasmin and within 3 weeks I had that pain in the pit of your stomach depressive state, PMS was awful on all of them. I know another girl who was on anti depressants for 2 years, came off her pill and realised that was the cause, stopped taken it and hasnt needed anti depressants in years. Of course it isn't the root cause for all depression but we severely underestimate the power of artificial hormones.

The pill affected me in so many ways I didn't even realise, because I went on it as a teenager I assumed the changes I went through were due to my age, puberty, uni etc. I'm happier, more active, have a higher libido, I don't suffer from anxiety any more (I had a lot of anxiety while on it) now I'm not on it. I really would trial coming off it.

(Edited to add I was on it for 5 years and tried numerous types, Yasmin being the worst for me, I have the copper coil now).

Thanks so much for the replies. I had completely forgotten about the loss of libido, I get that as well. Agree also that I don't think the pill is the root cause, I am a very sensitive person and the hormones make it a lot worse I think. I'll definitely go to the docs and ask to try something else. If that doesn't work, hubby will have to get the snip :haha:

You know- I never thought about loss of libido? But- and it could be just because I have a toddler now... but prior to pregnancy my libido was for sure stronger! Maybe cause my relationship was newer- then going off the pill soon after (cause hubby had a vasectomy at the time)- then TTC... but since having LO and then physical issue (down below)- I just contributed my lack of sex drive to that. And I'm SURE that played a big role- but even now, it's not come back. It's rare- very rare- that I'm just "in the mood". We still DTD often enough and it's great once we get going- but actually being horny before we start? Well... let's just say hubby give loads of rubs and snuggles to get me in the mood now! haha

Hmmmm... maybe this IUD will be of better benefit that I initially thought?

Hope things are sorted out for you soon hun! :hugs: :)

I have suffered PND with both my children, both times I have required inpatient care.

With my first I went back on the mini pill straight away and continued until I started TTC in 2012.

When I was in hospital, with PND, following the birth of my 2nd child, I was advised not to use hormonal contraceptives. I've followed this advise.

We are currently using condoms. I'm considering IUD ATM.

I've been on the combined pill and had depression at various points in my life, but for me they haven't coincided. However a friend of mine stopped taking it and then realised she felt a million times better. She knew she'd been anxious and stressed, sometimes very low too, but hadn't realised it was the pill causing it.

I have anxiety and have had depression and I can't take any hormonal birth control as it sends me into a downward spiral.

Yep me too! Luckily I have never suffered with actual depression, the only way I can describe it was that being on the pill made me feel numb. To pretty much everything, no sex drive, no real enthusiasm for life, never in a particularly happy or sad mood...just numb and static :shrug:

I took it pretty much without a break from being 16 until we TTC my LO in 2010 so almost 10 years and didn't realise how much it effected my mood until I stopped. I was like a different person, I had always just assumed that was just my personality but nope it was those little pills!

I am having a copper coil fitted now as there is no way I am going anywhere near hormonal contraception ever again :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->