The truth about rubella!

Amygdala

Reaction score
Rubella, if contracted in pregnancy, can cause serious harm to the unborn baby. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors still seem to play down the importance of having your rubella immunity checked and topped up if needed before TTC.:growlmad: So here's some information on rubella and why it's important to insist on having your immunity checked and topped up at least 1 month before TTC. :thumbup:

From the official NHS website:
Rubella in pregnant women
If a pregnant woman catches rubella, it can result in a miscarriage (the loss of the pregnancy during the first 23 weeks) or stillbirth (where a baby is born after the 24th week of pregnancy without any sign of life). Since the introduction of the MMR vaccination, the number of rubella infections in pregnant women has fallen from 167 in 1987, to just one in 2003.

The rubella infection can also pass to the unborn baby and cause birth defects. This is known as congenital rubella syndrome (CRS).

Congenital rubella syndrome
Congenital rubella syndrome (CRS) can cause the following problems in unborn babies:

• cataracts (cloudy patches in the lens of the eye) and other eye defects,
• deafness,
• cardiac (heart) abnormalities,
• a small head , compared to the rest of the body, as the brain is not fully developed,
• a slower than normal growth rate, and
• inflamed (swollen) wounds in the brain, liver, lungs, or bone marrow.

Children born with CRS can develop symptoms later in their lives as well. These include:

• pneumonitis - inflammation (swelling) of the lungs caused by a virus,
• diabetes mellitus - a long-term condition that is caused by too much glucose in the blood,
• thyroid gland problems - the thyroid gland produces hormones to control the body’s growth and metabolism; it could be over-active or under-active, and
• progressive panencephalitis (inflammation of the brain) - this causes a loss of mental and motor (movement) functions.

Planning a pregnancy
If you are considering trying for a baby, you should have your immunity to rubella tested by your GP before becoming pregnant. As immunity to rubella can wear off over time, it is important that you have your immunity level checked by your GP before every pregnancy.

If the test shows that you do not have any rubella antibodies, or that you only have a very low amount, you will be offered the MMR immunisation to protect you against rubella. You can have the MMR vaccine before you become pregnant, but not during pregnancy. After having the MMR vaccine, you should take care to avoid becoming pregnant for one month.

This and more information can be found on https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/rubella/Pages/Introduction.aspx

So please be safe and get yourself checked for rubella immunity before TTC! :thumbup:

My Doc didnt even check mine he just gave me another injection as a top up ... you then have to wait at least a month before getting pregnant. Good luck.

I had an MMR booster last year as the doctor said there was an outbreak of Mumps in the area of people my age as they had only had the jag once when you actually need it twice. When I spoke to my mum it turns out I did get it twice as she got the doctor to give me it when my younger brother got his and I got it at school as a teenager. Do you think this will mean I should have good immunity ?

I had an MMR booster last year as the doctor said there was an outbreak of Mumps in the area of people my age as they had only had the jag once when you actually need it twice. When I spoke to my mum it turns out I did get it twice as she got the doctor to give me it when my younger brother got his and I got it at school as a teenager. Do you think this will mean I should have good immunity ?

I think that would probably mean you're fine, but you can just never be sure unless you get tested. It's a simple blood test, won't take more than a week and it'll give you peace of mind.

I have recently had this blood test which told me quickly that I had a good immunity. I paid to have the single immunity about 6 months ago as I did not have the MMR vaccine as a child. Its worth it.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

My doctor has refused to check mine today. I am so mad.

They can't refuse you! The NHS, their employer, advises to have it checked before TTC. I would print out the NHS page (see the link above) and take it to them! :thumbup: Or of course just see someone else. It's a quick, cheap blood test, no big deal.

Did they give you any reason for not doing it?

Im not immune to this. I had a shot about 3 years ago, then had a blood test when pregnant and it came back not immune.

Think i need the shot when i got for my 8 week post natal check up in a few weeks.

Omg, I didn't realise it could be that fatal. When I fell pregnant with my son in 2008 they found I was not Immune, so as soon as I'd given birth they gave me the jab before they discharged me. But no one mentioned how dangerous it could be if I caught it whilst pregnant, I guess I was kinda lucky then really that my son wasn't exposed. Xx

i found out with my last pregnancy that i wasnt immune and had assumed the hospital topped it up as they said they were going to do but got bloods this ttc then found out i was pregnant before i was allowed to get the top up =( so worried..steering very clear of any sick ppl with rashes!!my little neice who id spent the whole weekend with came up with a full body rash on monday..thankgod they went to the drs and it was only dermititis...=(

I went to the DR a few months ago to talk about planning TTC and my DR told me I was up to date with my rubella but they didnt do a blood test. I had mumps when I was 17 does this mean I'm not immune?

Hm, I wouldn't know. But I'd definitely insist on a blood test. Having had the jab does not quarantee immunity and your level of protection can also decrease over time.

I am going to my docs to discuss this on Friday and have printed off the information on the NHS website where it states you should be tested for your immunity. I don't want to take any chances and a simple blood test is all that's required. I shall make sure I push for this.

Pls make sure u all ask for bloodtest to check immunity.apparently 5% of people who have been immunised are still not immune and need a booster. Its a simple blood test to check so they should do it.

xxx

My doctor was really pleased I asked for a Rubella check, and referred me to the practice nurse. My results came back immune but the nurse who took the blood told me hardly anyone has the test before they get pregnant currently, which I found quite worrying!

I'm glad i registered with this site as i would have never though about things like this, thank you. I never realised that it could be fatal, i should read up more about things like that more often.

I didn't realise how important this was, thanks for posting :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->