The truth about rubella!

Just wanted to say that I went to my GP on Friday and asked for the rubella immunity test. My doctor asked if I was pregnant already and I said I wasn't, but was planning to start trying in a few months. He said that of course I could have the rubella antibody blood test and that he would also do a test for HIV, syphillis and hepatitis while I'm at it, as they're all from the same blood test and they are all things that could harm an unborn baby and it's part of a pre-conception check.

He said that he was surprised, as most women would attend the surgery after they had gotten pregnant, when it was often too late to do anything about it. I was really surprised about that :shrug:

He seemed really impressed that I was planning ahead and was very pleased when I said I was taking folic acid already. :thumbup:

He said that he was surprised, as most women would attend the surgery after they had gotten pregnant, when it was often too late to do anything about it. I was really surprised about that :shrug:
Sort of makes you wonder why he doesn't TELL women about it... Glad you're getting your tests done though!

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if you have been prego before whether you are tested for rubella antibodies when they do the blood tests? I am assuming you are and they let you know if you arent immune but would like to double check on that.

You most likely were checked but antibody levels can decrease over time, so you'd best get tested again if you want to be sure.

I've just had my check and I'm immune so it's all systems go:thumbup:

I'm surprised that there are so many people who don't know about the dangers of rubella in pregnancy, we were told about it at school when we got the jab as an explanation of why we were having it :shrug:

I recently had a very bad viral rash but at first had no idea what it was, went to the Doctors and had it checked out in case it was measles because at the time a friend was pregnant, I was terrified I'd passed it to her! When I told her it was fine and not to worry as it definitely wasn't measles she had no idea why I was so concerned - I was shocked that her Midwife or GP hadn't told her about rubella :dohh:

Great advice to get checked for Rubella - but don't forget about chicken pox as well. I You can check for this with the same blood test. I never knew that you should be checked for this, but my doctor insisted on checking for both and I came back as not immune to chicken pox so am now on my first dose of the vaccine. Getting chicken pox while pregnant has awful problems for mother and baby as well so please ask for both!

Would just like to add re. the last post that, yes, you will need to get checked for chicken pox immunity, but only if you've not had chicken pox as a child. If you had chicken pox when you were a child then you're immune for life and no need to worry with regards to checking immunity. Very important to get a check if you've never had it before though or if you're not sure. :thumbup:

Once you got your vaccines for rubella, how long do they actually last? Does anyone know?

They *can* last forever but levels can also decrease so it's best to get checked before you're planning to TTC every time.

They *can* last forever but levels can also decrease so it's best to get checked before you're planning to TTC every time.

OK. Thank you! Just wanted to make sure ;)

thats great -thanks for this info. i am going to the doctors in 2 weeks time to get a full health check!

I rang my doctor and they informed me i had rubella vaccination in 1996 and then again in 2006 so i shoudl be ok if ttc end of this year right?

Freckles, you're probably fine but it's only a quick blood test to find out and it's best to be sure as immunity can decrease.

So annoyed that my primary doc and gyn have been arguing back & forth as to what I need to do before TTC. I had a "pre-conception" appt with my gyn who told me to lose at least 10% of my weight and then I was good to go. No tests, no talks, nothing. Luckily my primary doc said fine and I'm going for a test this week. So fingers crossed I won't need a booster since we are TTC in July, if not we'll have to wait till August.

Freckles, you're probably fine but it's only a quick blood test to find out and it's best to be sure as immunity can decrease.

Thanks, i might make an appointment with the doc for a health check up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->