The Truth About Swine Flu

nightkd

Mum to two!
Reaction score
There are a lot of people panicking over the spread of Swine Flu and I just wanted to find some things that might set people's minds at ease...

If anyone else has any articles to add to this page, then feel free to do so. Here's one to start:

https://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/...alth/swine-flu-pandemic-prevention-13265.html

Basically the point is, Swine Flu is just that....FLU. People die from 'normal' flu every year, Swine Flu is just a slightly more mean version.

The people that are dying from it tend to already be sick or have serious underlying health problems.

The media are blowing this Flu out of proportions and causing everyone to freak and think it's more serious than it is. It CAN be serious, so can regular Flu - the point is, if you start experiencing SERIOUS Flu symptoms (eg severe diarrhoea, sickness or unrelenting high temperature) go to your GP/A&E. Same with young children, if they start showing any symptoms and being really poorly, get them seen. Don't panic about it before it happens. Just be prepared. Take vitamins and boost your immune system - prevention is the key!

Here's an article regarding the difference between cold and flu symptoms - https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/flu-cold-symptoms

And here's a couple on recognising the symptoms in babies and children - https://www.ehow.com/how_4933047_flu-symptoms-baby-young-child.html

https://www.babyfirstyear.org/2009/05/swine-flu-in-babies-symptoms-and-things-to-avoid.html

Just remember a cold is NOT the Flu, Flu is much more serious - seasonal, Swine, whatever - and even if you get the Flu that doesn't automatically mean it's Swine Flu. Just get yourself checked out if you're feeling really bad and keep dosed up on vitamins and follow proper hygiene rules.

"When the virus that causes swine flu in pigs combines with human influenza virus and then mutates to allow itself to infect humans, we're left with a new strain of flu. Swine flu, like other flu viruses, is an airborne illness spread through the respiratory tract. The symptoms of swine flu are similar to other influenza illnesses, including high fever, body aches, headaches, coughing, sore throat, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue and chills.

Dr. Heather Armstrong, an emergency medicine pediatrician in Florida, adds that infants may not have all of these symptoms but may manifest fever, irritability, poor appetite, cough or diarrhea. "

I hope this is of some help to some people, even just a part of it. Just remember any strain of Flu can kill; prevention, recognition of the symptoms and early treatment are key to looking after yourself and your family.

Stay safe and healthy :hugs:

xx

I'm not being picky but i just wanted to point out...if you think you have swine flu the advice is not to go to your GP as this will increase the spread of the virus. Stay home and phone the doctors surgery

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Swineflu/DG_177814

xx

With babies and young children you should, if they're showing some of the signs - eg turning blue etc...

You should really see your GP/go to A&E with that anyway.. :dohh:

Let's tweak that a little bit.

ETA: Tweaked. Just don't want people (like me and my grandma) getting really sick and not wanting to 'bother' the GP.

errm we all have swine flu at the moment and it is not like regular flu at all.... ive never hurt so much muscle cramps vomiting, headaches, dizzyness...dont play it down its really vile.

if you have symptoms call your doctor and get tamiflu asap, dont see anyone dont go out anywhere until you finish the 5 days tamiflu or your are symptom free for 24 hours.

It is NOT like regular flu make sure you have someone who can go and get medication for you should you need it.

errm we all have swine flu at the moment and it is not like regular flu at all.... ive never hurt so much muscle cramps vomiting, headaches, dizzyness...dont play it down its really vile.

hope u all feel better soon hun :hugs:

i totally agree with this, i feel absolutely awful and Annabelle and my OH have it and there is nothing i can do to make Annabelle feel any better!!!

Lou
xxx

Ive got a few friends who have it too and theyve said theyve never been so ill in their life.

I dont think that it's as bad as the media make out (e.g. if you get it unless you have another ilness its not going to kill you) but it does sound really really awful :(

xxx

its not as bad as the media are saying but its not like regular seasonal flu either. ive been so ill ive not been able to hold my baby through fear of dropping her (dizzyness) ive been in bed with my laptop and one eye open.

Theres a good cut out in the sun today about swine flu, i was told by gp when we thought dd had it not to go into the gp surgery or a&e.

If youve ever had normal flu you'll know thats exactly how it feels. I was bedbound for a week with the flu before.

Yea I had flu when I was pregnant and it sounded a lot like how you described but I figured it was coz I was like 17 weeks pregnant

xxx

I went to the GP just because I had been ill and I had had a "mild case" of swine flu. I agree the media have blown it all out of proportion, people die from regular flu all the time. But I've never had regular flu so I wouldn't be able to compare the two

iv had normal flu i was out for 3 weeks... i was only 10... but im asmatic and it knocked me out for 3 weeks before i could go back 2 school... but swine flu goes deeper into the lungs... where normal flu targets the body swine flu targets your lungs more.. hence why ppl with lung and heart problems are top of the list for vacines

I've had normal flu and was knocked for six for about a week... It was awful...
The media has created alot of fear over this, I've known people who have had it, and have gotten better within a week or two, and now feel fine.
I don't think when nightkd started this thread it was to downplay the seriousness of swine flu, or say it's not as bad as normal flu, it was just to reassure people that you don't have to be scared that just because you catch swine flu it doesn't mean that you are going to die etc...

although we all no how much the media likes to create a certain amount of 'panic' with the general public, i think its understandable how scary is it, especially for people who are 'vulnerable', i.e. people more likely to get it, and i think its bloody terrifying the thought of my daughter getting it tbh!

molly and faith, lou and annabelle :hugs: get better soon guys xxxxxx sending lots of these :hugs: xxx

If youve ever had normal flu you'll know thats exactly how it feels. I was bedbound for a week with the flu before.

I was going to say that same thing- I have only once had flu and I won't forget that in a hurry ( that was 3 years ago!). I had all the above and was bed-bound for 4 days. Didn't recover for a good 2 weeks. Awful experience and scary!

ive been hospitalised with regular flu i know what it feels like

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->