there are some sick people in this world

Keyval

Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-ALIVE-toilet-pipe-flushed-away-parents.html

Poor poor baby

Oh my gosh. :(

So sad and cruel. The article said a lot of young mothers don't know they are pregnant? That's crazy. I don't know a lot about Chinese culture but the one baby rule tends to lead to cruel treatment of babies with disabilities and females. :(

This is awful.

I have to be honest, I don't totally see the point of posting something like this. For shock value? To feel like we're great parents because we would never do something like this?

I just think it's really upsetting and not something that really serves a purpose in Baby Club. It doesn't seem relevant to me because it doesn't really provoke a discussion or thoughtful debate. I think it's safe to say that we all think this is terrible.

I think it's awful that this has happened. The parents obviously need some sort of help. Anyone who does something like this is obviously not right in the head. :(

The Chinese government is not very nice towards families in general. Parents who have more than one child are heavily fined, and many of the families can't afford it. If they don't pay the fine the child can be taken away or the parents can be jailed. It's a completely different atmosphere there than it is here.

While that's no excuse for what this woman did, it does give a bit of background as to why it may have happened. Because DH's family is Chinese I hear a lot of stories like this, and it's really heartbreaking.

I have to be honest, I don't totally see the point of posting something like this. For shock value? To feel like we're great parents because we would never do something like this?.

I appreciate it when people post news articles that are relate to babies or pregnancy, good or bad. When I saw this article, it made me glad that the baby survived. Is there shock value to it? Of course. But it shows the resilience of this baby who is a little fighter. What the parent(s) did was despicable and it is tough to read stories like that but it makes you appreciate what you have.

I do hope they find the parents and they get severely punished because anyone who can do something like this to an innocent little baby deserves the harshest of punishments possible.

I have to be honest, I don't totally see the point of posting something like this. For shock value? To feel like we're great parents because we would never do something like this?.

I appreciate it when people post news articles that are relate to babies or pregnancy, good or bad. When I saw this article, it made me glad that the baby survived. Is there shock value to it? Of course. But it shows the resilience of this baby who is a little fighter. What the parent(s) did was despicable and it is tough to read stories like that but it makes you appreciate what you have.

I do hope they find the parents and they get severely punished because anyone who can do something like this to an innocent little baby deserves the harshest of punishments possible.

I think that's a fair point. I'm always curious when I see these posts what the "point" is. I enjoy a good discussion and debate, so I'm not opposed to reading/seeing things that make me uncomfortable. But that's not to say I don't question the motivation behind it. We're all insecure (myself included!) and I sometimes wonder if these posts serve as reassurance that we're good parents because we would never do something like this. Again, that's not a judgement on my parent but an observation. I'm likely guilty of needed reassurance as well.

As sad as the story is, I don't think DM is quite telling the whole truth (as per usual!).

There are other reports to say that it was the mother who raised the alarm and was with the police, firemen etc all the way through the ordeal. She had given birth in the bathroom (not knowing she was in labour).

I don't think anyone would post a article like this to make themselves feel like a good parent. There's obviously another side to the story that we don't know about.

Someone else posted that it was an accident and the mother was the one who alerted the emergency services, either way there's nothing wrong with knowing what's going on around the world good or bad and I'm glad that the baby is doing well x

I don't think anyone would post a article like this to make themselves feel like a good parent. There's obviously another side to the story that we don't know about.

Someone else posted that it was an accident and the mother was the one who alerted the emergency services, either way there's nothing wrong with knowing what's going on around the world good or bad and I'm glad that the baby is doing well x

I didn't mean consciously, but subconsciously. I don't think the OP was sitting around thinking, "How can I make myself feel superior to others?". I do think we all have a deep need to be reassured we're doing our best. It's only human. I know I'm getting a little existential here, so bear with me.

I agree with your point that it's good to be aware of what's going on in the world. I just questioned if it was appropriate in Baby Club.

I didn't mean consciously, but subconsciously. I don't think the OP was sitting around thinking, "How can I make myself feel superior to others?". I do think we all have a deep need to be reassured we're doing our best. It's only human. I know I'm getting a little existential here, so bear with me.

I agree with your point that it's good to be aware of what's going on in the world. I just questioned if it was appropriate in Baby Club.

I agree with you, that's why when I posted it I put it on spoiler as I understand how upsetting it is.

I also agree that it is definitely more suited to this part of the forum x

The Chinese government is not very nice towards families in general. Parents who have more than one child are heavily fined, and many of the families can't afford it. If they don't pay the fine the child can be taken away or the parents can be jailed. It's a completely different atmosphere there than it is here.

While that's no excuse for what this woman did, it does give a bit of background as to why it may have happened. Because DH's family is Chinese I hear a lot of stories like this, and it's really heartbreaking.

This exactly. The fines are so huge for having extra children, people who want more or who find themselves pregnant often have to leave their homes and go on the run. It's a horrible, horrible situation. If the parents did do this on purpose we can't judge them like we would someone in a different country. The whole situation is truely tragic.

This exactly. The Chinese government is complicit in forced abortion and adoption on a daily basis. The fines are so huge for having extra children, people who want more or who find themselves pregnant often have to leave their homes and go on the run. It's a horrible, horrible situation. If the parents did do this on purpose we can't judge them like we would someone in a different country. The whole situation is truely tragic.

Really interesting perspective, thank you both :flower:

This is awful.

I have to be honest, I don't totally see the point of posting something like this. For shock value? To feel like we're great parents because we would never do something like this?

I just think it's really upsetting and not something that really serves a purpose in Baby Club. It doesn't seem relevant to me because it doesn't really provoke a discussion or thoughtful debate. I think it's safe to say that we all think this is terrible.
I was just about to post something along these lines but see you've done it for us all :D

I think the forum News and Debates deserves more than another emotive, possibly inaccurate DM link copied and posted alongside a load of sad emoticons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->