Theresa May.

Midnight_Fairy

New baby J
Reaction score
Sorry couldn't find another post on this so hope there is not!

I was pleased to hear she made the desecion NOT to let America trail Gary Mckinnon. Pleased our justice system actually was not fully influenced by what America wanted.

Opinions?

I don't know an awful lot about the case but from what I read I didn't believe he should have been sent.

Just nice to see us not giving into america and I agree it would have been his death sentence.

sorry I replied then I deleted it because I wasn't sure I phrased it in the right way LOL probably should have explained that..

But I've just read this, and it kinda says what I said: https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ikes-of-talha-ahsan-from-tooting-8215138.html

I am happy for Gary Mckinnon and his family but can't help being disgusted by Theresa May, the government and their double standards when only last week they did extradite to the US a British Citizen with Aspergers. And a few others who could have potentially been saved by this 'forum bar' and should have been tried in Britain not the US.

sorry I replied then I deleted it because I wasn't sure I phrased it in the right way LOL probably should have explained that..

But I've just read this, and it kinda says what I said: https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ikes-of-talha-ahsan-from-tooting-8215138.html

I am happy for Gary Mckinnon and his family but can't help being disgusted by Theresa May, the government and their double standards when only last week they did extradite to the US a British Citizen with Aspergers. And a few others who could have potentially been saved by this 'forum bar' and should have been tried in Britain not the US.

Would it make any difference the severity of the accusations though?

Terrorism is a huge threat to the US as it is the Uk. All this guy did was nose about in a few banks, I'm not aware he stole anything?
I've only read the newspaper articles of both stories which are not that impartial admitidly!

I do think the cases are slightly different. It was not just what they were obsessed by but also who Talha made connections with. Not saying his extraction was right or wrong but the 2 cases are different (in my opinion).

x

I dont think it was anything to do with religion or race, I believe thats just what the media want us to think x

Would it make any difference the severity of the accusations though?

Terrorism is a huge threat to the US as it is the Uk. All this guy did was nose about in a few banks, I'm not aware he stole anything?
I've only read the newspaper articles of both stories which are not that impartial admitidly!

I don't think so because if the issue here is his Aspergers then why does the accusation matter? If it is about their health and they both have the same condition then it should be equally taken into consideration. Concerning the case of Talha it wasn't allowed to be taken into consideration, how is that fair? I believe stopping the extradition was based on Human Rights laws, so why does one person have Human Rights and another doesn'?

They are only accused and you are innocent until proven guilty. The crimes (both Gary and Talha) were allegedly committed in the UK. The UK has it's own terrorism laws, and so if Talha is guilty of the accusations, and the alleged crime was commited in the UK why couldn't he have been tried in the UK? We have our own terrorism laws, and what he was accused of is just as illegal here as it is in the US.

They weren't asking to be set free they were asking to be tried in the UK because in the US they face unfair and disproportionate punishment which some people consider amounting to torture.

I dont think it was anything to do with religion or race, I believe thats just what the media want us to think x

I have to disagree, given the current climate if Gary Mckinnon was a Muslim and had hacked into US Military computers do you think it would have been the same outcome?

Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those people who call the race/religion card over everything (I actually find that quite annoying LOL) but I think on this issue it is definitley a factor in the decision.

I have to disagree, given the current climate if Gary Mckinnon was a Muslim and had hacked into US Military computers do you think it would have been the same outcome?

Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those people who call the race/religion card over everything (I actually find that quite annoying LOL) but I think on this issue it is definitley a factor in the decision.

Are you speaking of all 5 or just Talha?

I believe some do have terrorism charges that occurred within the States?

The McKinnon case, I can see what your saying about the autism thing but I would see it different if he'd hacked into US military computers. There's been previous cases of singular attacks on America by non Islamic terrorists. I'd probably expect him to be extradited then... I think sometimes, finacial based crimes have way tougher sentencing than more severe ones.

I don't think it's a case of race on this one, I think it's more to do with the individual and their circumstances, in this case his Asperger's and the effect extradition would have had on his mental health ( the talk of suicide etc). I really don't think he did it out of maliciousness or to cause harm to anyone, he probably didn't realise the gravity of what he was doing. I'd hope in any case like this, whether the person be black, white or yellow - christian, muslim or jewish their health would be taken into account.

eta - Still dont agree on the race issue ( not read into it enough yet) but I'm reading about his case on wikipedia and my sympathy for him and his case is kind od decreasing quickly. The fact he posted ''Your security is crap'' on their networks says he did understand somewhat the gravity of what he was doing.

and

'' I am SOLO. I will continue to disrupt at the highest levels''

Hm not sure now.

^ I agree it does make the mind wonder, I do however think he has accepted he has committed a crime and to be trailed here.

I think the cases are different as being a terror link, that would never be let off for that Muslim or not. I dont personally think it was down to his race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->