they won't speak to him properly

Kians_Mummy

Mummy to Kian & an angel
Reaction score
Me and OH have always said that we want people to speak to Kian as if he was a human not a dog (stupid noises and sounds etc.) well not one of OHs family will have a "proper" conversation.

When it's just us 3 we all have a conversation, talk to Kian about things like that cats, tell him stories, try and get him to repeat words and repeat words back to him that he has tried to say but corrently (such as when he asks for his "bau bau" for his bottle). When I say proper conversations I mean as if we were talking to another adult so to speak.

When a certain member comes to see him he makes stupid noises, talks in a stupid voice and says "baby language" (which I must say I have never heard a child say some of the words) or he will make fun of him trying to say words (which majoirty of OHs family does).

After he has seen OHs family he just goes back into himself and doesn't talk and just does stupid noises. They won't listen to me when I said that they could be slowing his speech development and carry on doing it :(.

Just don't know what to do, LO is coming on leaps and bounds with his talking. The HV is impressed with the words he can say and understand but OHs family just seem to want to ruin it :shrug:. We have asked them on numerous occasions if they could speech to him instead of talking down to him, making stupid noises etc. but they just laugh at us saying thats how a child should speak :nope:

Hiya
I sort of know how you feel . We do exactly the same as you , speak to him properly ect but when my OH mother comes round she says things like ducky quack quack and dum dum and handy pandys, din dins and walkies ( which s most annoying as she speaks like this to the dog ) and millions of others which drive me crazy . She knows we speak to him properly and when she sauys strange words like this he just looks at her really confused . She also repeats words he says with jibberish as she doesn't listen to him properly at all and thinks that he's just making noises when he's saying clear words so poor thing gets discouraged to speak . Worst part is we can't say anything to her as she is extremely sensitve so everytime she's around i just want to scream !!!

Wouldn't be as bad if she occastionally said the right words to im but she never does . Annoying as Oscar knows all the right words and she just confuses him .The worst thing is Craig was a very late speaker and i'm not surpises as she'd be saying things like tootsies and everyone else would be saying toes so poor thing probably didn't know what was right and she's trying to teach Oscar sam ething even though he knwos different . Luckily we only see her between once and twice a week for like 10 -15 min .

Sorry i couldn't offer any advice but atleast you know your not alone xx

I don't like slang baby words and I always talked to Quintin in full sentences . Quintin has a speech delay and they told me to make more sounds when playing with toys it doesnt have to be words or anything also to break down words like mmmmm oooooooo when saying moo.
I understand its your baby and its for you decide but I don't think a little baby talk will harm him from learning words

^ I definitely agree w/ Rome. I don't think a little baby language will put a damper on his development. Although Kian is your child and they should respect you asking not to use baby language around him. I do use baby language with Kenneth still, not much, but I still do... I can't really see the harm in doing it a few times a week really. Sounds like you and your OH are doing a great job though with speaking to him in sentences which I'm sure will help his language.

I don't quite agree with it hindering their development as my daughter says a lot of words for her age and we use baby language with some things. But I do think that they should respect your wishes as a parent.

I don't believe that it hinders any development but Kian is your child and they should respect your wishes.

i don't GENERALLY have this issue, but i don't like the baby talk much either.
my biggest issue is when people tell me she isn't saying things that she can clearly say though.
she doesn't talk much, but she can definitely say mama and moo and uh oh and bye and hello when she wants to..

Everytime they say something babyish just repeat to Kian what they should be saying, it'll probably piss them off but they should get the hint.
I don't like baby talk either. It's not about development it just annoys me :lol:

I always do baby language :blush: My friend speaks to her son like 'What are ooo doing? Wheres oor blanky? Want bop bop?' and he is amazing at speaking. He says so much, things like nemo, door, blanket, bummy (dummy), poop, juice/juicey, sausages and beans, shop, sea, fish, moo, baa, seek seek (hamster/mouse) and although some words are a bit babyish it is obvious what he is saying. He is a really clever boy, and is about 19 months. And everyone speaks to him babyish, like 'Want juicey?' and he will say 'Yes, juice.'

I don't mind some baby talk but the fact their whole "conversation" with him is in full baby talk :(.

Thing that annoyes me the most and worries me about his delevopment is when he is trying to say a word they will make fun of him. When he is babbling in his own little way they make stupid noises and make fun of him :(.

Asked them not to do it today, apparently I am a snob :/

Your baby, your parenting desicion. They should respect what you are asking them to do and if they dont well I see that as pretty rude in my eyes :shrug:

Myles obviously isnt talking yet :haha: not words anyways lol but no one really talks "baby-talk" to him now that I think about it. Ive always talk to him like I was having a normal conversation with anyone else (before myles I wasnt around babies at all so I guess thats why I dont talk baby-talk to him.) everyone else who sees him talks fairly normal to him too (their voices just go a little higher pitched) but thats it :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->