Things you'd wish you'd known BEFORE going to the hospital?

TAKE LOADS AND LOADS OF YOUR OWN CLOTHES!

I had a normal labour, but i ended up having a emergency c-sec because baby wasn't budging. I had in no way planned for this, and i had to stay in hospital for 6 days afterwards.

There is nothing that makes you feel less at home in a hospital than not being able to wear your own clothes. I ended up wearing my husbands shirts and my Dad's t-shirts because mine were all dirty after sleeping in them. I felt gross and so far away from home, i couldn't wear any pants or trousers because of my scar for the first few days and i was just there in my Dad's t-shirt with my bum out :haha:

I look back at the pictures of me holding baby in other people's clothes and i cringe! Its just a little thing, but i wish i had of known. They encourage you to get out of the hospital gowns after a few days, so even if you don't take a great deal of clothes, make sure your husband/family know which clothes you have as 'back-up' at home, so they can bring them in for you if you need them!

:flower:

That labor can be a blast and that laughter actually helps you labor. You don't have to be quiet and serious and hyper-focused.

bring lots and lots of maternity pads, i got through so many! take dark clothes and old knickers! oh, and lanolin nipple cream was a godsend! x

I havent read it all as on my phone. But relaxing and breathing is the key. Also have your very first wee in the bath or shower after the birth. Sounds disgusting but believe me the bath will be like the red sea anyway and the water eases any stinging x

Do not wait too long !!! My contractions were 7to 8min appart, lasted 40 sec and the midwife tolde me 5 min 1 minute long. I was 9 cm when the midwife arrived (i only rang the midwife because contractions were becoming too painful). I pushed straight away when i arrived at hospital and she was out 1h later. Also, i gave birth on the side, i had a glass of water and OH was giving me water through each contraction with a straw. It really help me, i was soo thirsty !!! I had a wet cloth on me too.

i wished i'd learnt some pain management techniques before labour, i always assumed the midwives were there and they would coach me through it and help me out... they didn't. They stuck me in a room and left me to my own devices for hours on end and just came in to check me every hour or so. I had no idea how to deal with the pain, i didn't know to find a focus point, to ignore bad thoughts, to concentrate on breathing during a contraction. I tried different positions myself but had no help or suggestions from the MW (i never found a good position.) So it meant i'd spent the whole time i was in labour with erratic, hysterical, traumatised thoughts. I kept telling myself i was going to pass out from the pain, i kept telling myself i was going to die from shock, i was 100% absolutely beside myself for hours.

I wish'd i'd prepared myself for the pain better... i just had no idea the midwives wouldn't be there to help me except for when i was pushing. I thought they'd be there with suggestions and to calm me down when i got hysterical... they weren't.

I always told myself "sure it'll hurt but your body will know what to do" and so didn't bother researching labour techniques. I thought reading birth stories and knowing the process of labour was enough... it wasn't.

I was given massive maternity pads from friends instead of the ones the hospital give you as the big ones are more like nappies lol but they are good for the first two days post partum and if you have given birth via section then you only need normal maternity pads, or overnight sanitary pads but after a vaginal birth? I was told that you need heavy grade maternity pads or even those incontinence pads as they cover heaps of blood and are brilliant

Thanks for all the advice! Being prepared is definitely key!

That I wouldn't need the big t-shirt/nightie I had packed to wear during labour. I was so damn hot and sweaty, I just wanted to be naked. So I stripped off, and spent most if my labour completely starkers (much to my fiance's embarassment!) :haha:

To pack my hospital bag earlier as it was possible for me to give birth at 39 weeks 3 Days :haha:

I wish I'd of known that once you get an epidural n drip you can't eat :( I would of pigged out more before getting to the hospital :(

- I wish i someone informed me i wouldn't be able to walk for 3 hours after my epi.

- It would have been great to know ahead of time i had to wait for that drip of whatever it was to empty for getting the epi. I was in so much pain i wanted to squeeze it all out.

- The worst was when i felt like my epi was wearing off,so i acted like a idiot begging them to just cut me open. When it was only pressure pain from the head. lol

I wish I had spent my labour on all fours the second I started experiencing back labour. Maybe my LO would have turned and positioned herself correctly. It was excruciating. The midwives didn't even suggest it when I was eventually admitted! They just felt my belly and said "oh, she's back to back" and that was it.
Next time I will probably labour on all fours just to reduce the chance of her turning posterior.

This is all such great advice! I need to start writing a list. :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->