Things you'd wish you'd known BEFORE going to the hospital?

I read this about Pethidine.... Any thoughts? - 'The drug can reduce anxiety, and although it may not directly reduce pain, it is thought to increase pain tolerance'

Also what baby clothes should we take to the hospital?

I had pethidine 7 weeks ago. but i cant really describe what effect it has on you. its strange. i still felt every contraction, and they were still very painful. but i felt kinda drunk and spaced out, so i wasnt really as affected by the pains as i had been before the pethidine.
sorry if that doesnt make any sense, its just so hard to explain... :shrug:

That an induction at 39 weeks would fail and that my consultant did not have my best interests as his first priority.

That no matter how hard or painful your labour & birth might be, you will forget it all in an instant when you see your baby :)

I had pethidine 7 weeks ago. but i cant really describe what effect it has on you. its strange. i still felt every contraction, and they were still very painful. but i felt kinda drunk and spaced out, so i wasnt really as affected by the pains as i had been before the pethidine.
sorry if that doesnt make any sense, its just so hard to explain... :shrug:

The thought of feeling drunk and spaced out seems rather appealing after not drinking for 7 months! Today I really fancied mulled wine - and I can't wait to have some champers after the baby is born!
Congrats on your little one x :flower:

I would recommend it, as the end of my labour was much more bearable than the beginning. plus, your midwife and OH will get a right laugh watching and listening to your drunken antics! :haha:
And thanks for the congrats....good luck to you! :flower:

I'd taken 10L of ice coffee with me, in between contractions all I seemed to want was ice coffee :haha:
Also I didn't need as many maternity pads as i was leg to believe, and wish I'd only had one packed of them and a couple of packets of liners, since I was loosing only lineramount within a day and a half and it sure would have saved room in my bag!
I wish our camera hadn't got stolen. So should have asked the MW to take pictures, thank god for DF's phone!

I wish I'd known that labor was going to be such an amazing experience! I was looking forward to it, but I was a little scared, but I didn't need to be :cloud9:. I can't wait to do it again :haha:. I wish I'd known my own mind better and reminded the MW that I wanted a water birth as by the time I remembered I was in L&D and on a hospital bed and didn't want to make a fuss.
That's my main piece of advice; know what you want and make it known. Obviously be prepared to adapt your plans if you need to but if you can have what you'd like then make sure you do.

Thanks for the information... bumping this great thread! It's been awhile!

This is a really useful thread. It helped me so much to prepare myself for the whole hospital experience. I was so relaxed at the final stages and had a really quick and not too stressful birth!

This thread is amazing! Thank you to whoever bumped it up!
I never realised I would give birth, and then my OH would have to go home without us!! I don't want that at all!! There used to be a hospital in Llandough that had double beds, so your partner could stay the night, but they had to close the l&d ward due to lack of funding. I don't want him to have to spend his first night as a daddy without his baby :(

I wish I'd have known..

That having contractions less than 5 minutes apart from the start doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to give birth soon

That I wouldn't need so many clothes for LO

That I'd need MY OWN knickers easily to hand after birth so as not to be rushed and manhandled into the hospitals TINY pair of disposible knickers with maternity pad

To wear something suitable for the birthing pool, a cotton top was a bad idea

TMI - that it's apparently normal to feel like your bumhole is being ripped apart during labour. I was NOT prepared for this sensation and felt like something was terribly wrong.

I wish I'd have been mentally prepared for the afterpains, and how knackered I would feel afterwards.

I wish I'd have been more prepared with giving people instructions on where my camera was and how to operate it, I had a midwife kindly take a few pics on my mobile but it wasn't great quality.

I wish I'd been told how empty I would feel when I first stood up. It's very odd.

I wish I'd been told how empty I would feel when I first stood up. It's very odd.

Omg your right - such a strange sensation! My breathing was funny - obv where my son had been slowly squashing my lungs. I kept feeling so faint and light headed from this feeling!

I wished I'd known that once you pop that baby out, you're on your own. The midwives are too busy to offer any support. Even if you're in the hospital for 5 days like I was!

Good thread. Some good points on here. Also, read up on the birthing partner policy to save dissapointment. Its written everywhere in our unit and in the notes that only two birthing partners are allowed in with you on the delivery suite here. If you don't, be prepared for the dissapointment when your extra birthing partners are sent away. There isnt much room in the labour rooms at my unit and everyone is tripping over each other at the best of times with just the 2 birthing partners. :)

I wished I'd known that once you pop that baby out, you're on your own. The midwives are too busy to offer any support. Even if you're in the hospital for 5 days like I was!

It depends where you give birth I guess... I had loads of help and support from the midwives in the 3 days we were in hospital x

How much you bleed afterwards!
I couldn't believe it but after 2 weeks it has almost stopped :)

I wish I had put my foot down and said no to some of my visitors. The first week was exhausting enough without having to entertain guests. Be brave and say no! People can wait :)

I wish I had wrote down the names of the midwives who delivered her so I could have sent a card, theres that many names in my notes I don't know which ones it was :(

I wish I didn't feel the pressure to buy the hospital photo, I took much nicer ones myself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->