Think I have mastitis

Sweetkat

Reaction score
Went to bed at 8pm with chills, shakes, awful headache and general exhaustion. Couldn't get to sleep even though baby was asleep 8 til 11. By 10 ear thermometer showed my temperature as 39. I totally panicked and let her cry herself to sleep as was too worried would give her my infection. Normal thermometer showed between 37 and 37.7 (one that you touch your forehead with - also digital). Was in blind panic as oh away and parents not arriving until this evening. Then felt better by 12 and and went to sleep. I breastfed lo for short periods.

This morning looked at my right boob and there is an inflamed area underneath (red), it feels sore to the touch. Don't feel hot and temperature normal.

Was going to take ibuprofen but it's out of date. If doesn't pass by tomorrow will call dr but there is no way I can drag lo to emergency dr on a weekend.

More paracetamol for me.

Is it safe to breastfeed lo? Her temperature is normal. Some sites say safe from both breasts some say only from breast not affected.

Yesterday night was literally worse of my life - was so worried re lo catching sth from me. She is one month today :)

I got engorged and it started to turn to mastitis, I asked my home nurse if it's something that can self-resolve and she said yes.
Last weekend I woke during the night extremely cold (jaw chattering and all), hardness in breasts. It's painful to get in a hot shower and massage it out - my nurse said trying to get baby to feed more will definitely help and it does! And if I get too hard in the breasts and baby isn't ready to eat I'll pump/express.
I've been able to dodge the chills and pain this way.

I read about mastitis online and it says it's safe to feed baby because the bacteria are natural it's just that what makes them harmful is too much of it sitting idle inside mom. It's not harmful to baby, only to the mom.
.gov .edu and .org sites are the most reliable sources.

The best thing you can do is feed if you can tolerate it. Your baby won't get any infection. I was told at the worst it may make the milk taste a bit funny for baby. It's important to keep the breast soft and empty. Massage the area in a hot shower if possible (massage towards the nipple). Poor you! I hope it clears up without antibiotics x

I got engorged and it started to turn to mastitis, I asked my home nurse if it's something that can self-resolve and she said yes.
Last weekend I woke during the night extremely cold (jaw chattering and all), hardness in breasts. It's painful to get in a hot shower and massage it out - my nurse said trying to get baby to feed more will definitely help and it does! And if I get too hard in the breasts and baby isn't ready to eat I'll pump/express.
I've been able to dodge the chills and pain this way.

I read about mastitis online and it says it's safe to feed baby because the bacteria are natural it's just that what makes them harmful is too much of it sitting idle inside mom. It's not harmful to baby, only to the mom.
.gov .edu and .org sites are the most reliable sources.

Thank you. I was also concerned about passing the fever to her but actually I am better having taken paracetamol and she is feeding out of that breast. It hurt at the beginning but now that it's emptying feels much better:

The best thing you can do is feed if you can tolerate it. Your baby won't get any infection. I was told at the worst it may make the milk taste a bit funny for baby. It's important to keep the breast soft and empty. Massage the area in a hot shower if possible (massage towards the nipple). Poor you! I hope it clears up without antibiotics x

I am hopeful it clears up without any medication apart from paracetamol. Lo doesn't seem to mind the taste - she is munching away :)

Keep an eye on the redness spreading - If need be draw a line around the red with a make-up pen/pencil and watch for it crossing over the lines x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->