Think the time has come...

D

Donna35

to give JJ food. He will be 5onths old on the 9th January is this too soon?

He seems to be ready - he's very interested in anything we're eating especially if I have cereal or a yogurt (he sits chewing along with me it's so cute lol) and grabbed a chocolate cake bar from my SIL - chocaholic like mummy lol. He's also grabbing for cups of tea etc which obviously we keep well out of his way...

I was a bit naughty and already tried him on a bit of milky bar just a tiny piece which I sucked down to mush and gave him and it brought him out in a rash on bottom half of his face. This also happened when I gave him a couple spoonfuls of apple and pear babyfood that I got in the Bounty pack so I'm nervous of what to give him.

Thinking of starting now with just mashed potato (with nothing added no milk or butter) will that be ok? Then in a week or so moving onto mashed carrot then parsnip etc and in a week or 2 introduce soft finger foods too like in BLW or is it too soon for this? Sorry I really haven't a clue here...

All advice gratefully received - thanks xxx

The recommendation is to wait until 6 months so that their digestive systems are ready and if he's already had some adverse reactions to solids, I think I'd definitely wait until then to be honest. All babies will show interest in food and eating, it doesn't mean they're ready for solids though as they show interest in everything we do.

What you start off with is really up to you. Alot of people do baby rice but if you want to go down the puree route, you could just do pureed carrot and sweet potato etc. If you want to do BLW, then sticks of fruit and steamed or roasted veg are the best way to go.

I completely agree with Lu.
Unfortunately, we often misread signs that LO is ready for solids as they seem "interested" in the food / eating when in fact, they're just interested in everything we do and everything we've got.

I'd definately wait until he's showing "other" signs that he's ready and not take much notice of the interest he's showing as that in truth doesn't really mean very much.

Saying that, we started BLW when Violet was 5.5 months but she'd lost the tongue thrust reflex, was sitting up well and cried blue murder if she wasn't included somehow with mealtimes. But we chose to do BLW so she wasn't eating for a good few weeks.

It's obviously up to you when you start hun, just wanted to point out that showing interest isn't a very reliable sign of being 'ready' for solids x

all depends on the baby hun!

I agree with the other ladies about watching the signs!

Alexander was 3.5 when we first tried because he was a super spitty baby but it was very clear from the get go that he wasn't ready. tried again at 5.5 and he was AWESOME!!!

I wouldn't do it tho just for the sake of starting.

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->