Thinking about cloth vs. disposable...

Croc-O-Dile

Reaction score
So, I've been thinking lately; When the time comes and my LO arrives, do I want cloth or disposable?
I'm leaning towards doing a mix of the two. Cloth at home and disposables on travel/outings, because of it being less messy. But, I'm not sure if this will confuse my baby. (like how if you breast feed and bottle feed, they can get nipple confusion.)
Does anybody know if this happens with nappies? :shrug:

Also, I haven't been able to find how you clean a cloth nappie...as in, what do you do with the, well...with the doo? :blush: :haha:

I don't think it would be confusing at all. I know Hayden when we started at 2mo he couldn't care either way and we only did it part time then, but at 4mo I built my stash up more and switched to full time and you could def tell he was more comfortable in the cloth. It really isn't hard to do when out, if you wanted you could use liners so if they are dirty you just pull the liner and the poo is with it and toss it in the toilet and flush then you stick the wet diaper in a wet bag in your diaper bag and you're good to go. I used pockets when out so it was really simple, just like a disposable, just off and on, no big deal. You do have to change more often is the only thing

With cleaning it's different based on their age. With breastfed babies you don't even need to spray it out before they start solids. All you do is toss them all in a pail, when you are ready to wash do a cold rinse, then a hot wash with detergent, another cold rinse then either hang dry or I dry on low heat in the dryer. If it's alot you can rinse it out first, but you don't have to, they get completely clean :) Once they start solids the best thing I can recommend is getting a diaper sprayer which hooks up to the toilet and you just spray whatever is in the diaper right into the toilet and flush, then wash the same. Or you can use the liners like I mentioned before which can be flushed and it's even easier to clean out and never any stains. That is what we are currently doing with Hayden because we took our diaper sprayer out since we are getting ready to move in a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't imagine there'd be any confusion at all hun :) I know lots of people who use cloth in day and sposies at night and they don't seem to have any problems :)

As for poo - i use fleece liners so when she's done a poo, i rinse the poo off in the sink and then everything goes into the pail :)

Using cloth when you're out really isn't much different to sposies. I was really worried when I first started going out with Imi but it really is fine. Any wet/dirty nappies just get folded and popped into the wet bag and then I sort them when I get home x

I think you can get all the advice under the sun until you give it a go you won't realise just how easy it is.

There's no harm in mixing cloth and disposables, I did with DS to start with.

You can get flushable liners if lo doesn't poo just stick it in the wash, if they do poo take the liner out and flush, EASY!

Give it a go, I promise you won't be disappointed

We used sposies overnight when LO was ickle-ickle, our one-size reuseables were too bulky and his legs stuck up in the air! Now we only use sposies as we've got a little stash left over (he grew sooooo quickly!) but won't buy any once these are gone. Ours are pocket nappies and the same as using sposies when out and about...

nah there's no reason for confusion tbh as the others said. Also we just put poop down the loo or hose it off with the shower over the bath.

I promise you that cloth is super easy....Ive used cloth since birth and Im suprised at how easy it really is to sort out even with a newborn, its no fuss at all!
Poop wise if you BF the poop soaks right in, I did start rinsing them with the shower head into the loo but quickly realised there wasnt any point so unless it looks like it *needs* rinsing Im just tossing them straight into the nappy box for going in the wash...they come out beautifully. Once its 'proper' poop we will just be going back to tipping/rinsing with the shower into the loo again.

Cleaning wise otherwise I put mine in on a "superwash" which is a 60 degree wash with a prerinse cycle. I just add in 1/4 the amount of non bio and as my machine has a very good rinse cycle anyway I dont bother rinsing them again. They come out sparkly clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->