Thinking about homebirth

Faerie

Proud Mummy
Reaction score
Ok, I never thought I would consider a homebirth, mostly because I'm the kind of person that always gets ill and things happen to...
But I've been thinking about it recently. I live 5 mins drive away from a big hospital. I really really want as natural a birth as possible. I'm most likely going with an independent midwife so she'll know me and my wishes.
My two biggest hurdles would be that our apartment, and bedroom, are tiny and I don't know if I'd have room to give birth! Plus, I know DH will be opposed, he's a hospital kind of guy. It would probably really stress him out know there wasn't a Dr on call.
Anyone got experiences, good or bad, that they can share?

My sister was born at home, in the bath, with 2 community midwives present. My mum said the birth was the best out of all 3 of us, and how relaxed she felt.

I'm having for a homebirth (unless there is any complications during pregnancy) and I'm hoping mine will be really good

Hmm, haven't really thought about a water birth. I guess we could put a birthing pool in the front room.

I'm planning to have a pol-in-a-box. You don't have to have a water birth, you can use like sheets and stuff to stop it messing your carpets and that, and have a dry birth.

Im considering a homebirth this time like to spend the majority of it in the bath!

I'm planning to have a pol-in-a-box. You don't have to have a water birth, you can use like sheets and stuff to stop it messing your carpets and that, and have a dry birth.

What's a pol-in-a-box??

My first 2 were hospital and my last was a home birth...

....i loved it and will deffo have another one as long as everything in the pregnancy goes well,

One Midwife didnt get there in time so my OH had to help out a little lol but it was all good fun......within 10 mins of giving birth i was sat on my own sofa drinking a brew from my own mug with my other kiddies upstairs in bed :cloud9: :cloud9:

i would also love to do this... it scares me if there were complications though. Its my first, so I have no idea what to expect, but I LOVE the idea of climbing into bed with hubby and baby afterwards.
xxxxx

If you're not on the ground floor and have small rooms you might not have space for a pool, but it's not like you can't have a homebirth without one! You should chat with your MW about it and see what she thinks.

I am hopeing for a home birth this time as my hosp experience with Ewan was a bit dire!!

For those on the NHS - has your midwife/GP been supportive of your homebirth decision?

yes!, we have a midwife lead unit 10 mins down the road which almost closed, luckily still open! hospitals are about 2o mins
She seemed really keen!

I am trying to be open minded at the mo but I would prefer a home/water birth.

:hug:

If my placenta moves in time, I'm hoping for a home birth. My boyfriend is also a hospital kind of guy and puts a lot more faith than me in doctors but he's coming round to the idea. My friend had home birth and said it was wonderful.

The MW is being relatively supportive but they've just opened up a brand new natural birthing centre at the hospital down the road and she looked a bit bemused as to why I didn't want to give birth in it! It's certainly better than the old labour ward but I'd still rather be relaxed at home.

We've looked at the pool-in-a-box too. I think it looks great and isn't too expensive either. The MW told me to speak to the NCT and ask them what they would recommend.

x

Well im not pregnant yet but im definatly planning on a home birth for my next one, i also live less than 5 mins away from a big hospital, with charlie i had him in a birthing center there are no doctors just one midwife all the way through the birth it was wonderfull i stayed in a birthing pool untill i was ready too push then got out (i was supposed to get back in but never made it!) for my next i want a pool but at home this time, The wait too go home was awful i just wanted to get settled in and show him off to all my family next time i wont have to worry about that! also i really wanted my sister there but at hospital you can only have 2 in so it was OH and Mum at home u can have whoever you want!

For those on the NHS - has your midwife/GP been supportive of your homebirth decision?

Well I havent seen my midwife yet, I seen a stand-in as mine was on holiday, so we'll have to see, but the stand-in who works for the same team as my normal midwife said there shouldnt be a problem as long as I have no complications during my pregnancy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->