thinking of getting a new car...

lewsmom

Reaction score
so yeah im thinking of buying a new car to take my mind off ttc 4 a while so i thought id see what u guys recommend? atm i have a shitty peugeot 206 and its had everything wrong with it since i had it.. u name it.. i bet its had it.. so we r considering getting something a little better.. can any1 recommend?

It depends on your budget really?

We currently have a 2004 Reg Vauxhall Signum, had it about 2 years with no problems, lovely to drive, fairly economical (1.9TDCI gets about 35-40mpg normal, 50+mpg on motorway). Paid £4k for it. We are trading it in for a 2009 VW Passat CC, which we are picking up on Friday.

ooo sounds good.. im looking on spending about 2000.. i only spent 800 on my current car as it was my 1st car.. i only past last year and it was cheap and cheerful..thanks for the reply though!

for reliability i would say a hyundai-toyota-honda but these cars tend to be a little dearer except maybe the hyundai due to the fact they hardly go wrong i myself have a 5dr 2004 hyundai getz but i see your ttc annd the boot isnt a fantastic size if you like .I work with cars so in order of reliability i would say

honda
toyota
hyundai
kia-can be quite cheap too
audi
bmw-can be expensive and certain models have expensive head problems
vw
mercedes-expensive to buy and parts can be extortionate
vauxhall-ok but but do tend to have emision problems if not maintained well
ford-ok again but fiesta and fusion models up to 2003(i think) with EAC(electronic accelerator control) do not touch have a very costly common fault with this system which can cost up to £2000 to repair!
Peugeot-as you know!
Renault- do not touch with a ten ft barge pole too many costly electrical/immobiliser probs across a lot of there models
Newer Nissans- as these are now owned by renault yet again electrical problems

hth

for reliability i would say a hyundai-toyota-honda but these cars tend to be a little dearer except maybe the hyundai due to the fact they hardly go wrong i myself have a 5dr 2004 hyundai getz but i see your ttc annd the boot isnt a fantastic size if you like .I work with cars so in order of reliability i would say

honda
toyota
hyundai
kia-can be quite cheap too
audi
bmw-can be expensive and certain models have expensive head problems
vw
mercedes-expensive to buy and parts can be extortionate
vauxhall-ok but but do tend to have emision problems if not maintained well
ford-ok again but fiesta and fusion models up to 2003(i think) with EAC(electronic accelerator control) do not touch have a very costly common fault with this system which can cost up to £2000 to repair!
Peugeot-as you know!
Renault- do not touch with a ten ft barge pole too many costly electrical/immobiliser probs across a lot of there models
Newer Nissans- as these are now owned by renault yet again electrical problems

hth

wow this has really helped.. thanks.. i was thinking of a renault megane too but not gunna bother now lol.. i do like some of the kis models.. i also like alot of the toyota models.. well thnx for that info :thumbup::flower:

ps your LO looks so cute in her little playpen car :)

things to look for when buying a second hand car..................

age and mileage. a good average is 10k per annum. very low mileage cars can be just as much a problem as very high mileage cars

make is not that important tbh, every brand has its pros and cons and it is very sweeping to say dont ever buy a peugoet because you have had lots go wrong with the one you have, this could be more to do with the age and mileage of yor car as opposed to the make of it

i have just scrapped a 54 plate skoda octavia, but i couldnt say they are not good cars. i spent thousands on it and had various problems with it, but it had done upwards of 160,000 miles by the time i got rid of it - there are probably thousands of 54 plate octavias which are not hammered the way mine was and will last for many many years

have a google about for some good info before you go car shopping

My advice would be a ford so cheap to repair if anything does go wrong as parts don't need to be shipped over like a Peugeot.

I would avoid fiats too

We have a ford focus cmax and it is the best car I've had so far plus plently of space nice big boot x

thanks ladies.. i do like peugeots esp the new 207's and i also like focus's i just need to be careful with what litre engine i get too as tht now affects the insurance on a new driver..

have you looked on autotrader? its good to be able to narrow down what you want.

no.. ive just been looking on gumteee and usedsandwell and ebay.. :)

just a little update.. i finallly got a brand new hyundai i 10!! love it too.. small economincal and we could easily fit a buggy in the boot ;)

I'm in a similar situation now but looking for a car for around £1500 - DEFINITELY will never get a Renault again, they're bloody awful, nothing but electrical problems with pretty much all their models. Our Clio has done us ok getting us up and down from Lancashire but the electrics are ridiculously temperamental! xx

I'm in a similar situation now but looking for a car for around £1500 - DEFINITELY will never get a Renault again, they're bloody awful, nothing but electrical problems with pretty much all their models. Our Clio has done us ok getting us up and down from Lancashire but the electrics are ridiculously temperamental! xx

yeah almost everyone i know whos had a renault megane/clio have had electrical problems.. they r well known for it apperently..:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->