Those in UK bottle feeding.....

thethomsons

Reaction score
Just wondered what formula you are going for? With DS I used Aptimal and probably going for that again but wondered if anyone used SMA or Cow and Gate? Aptimal is a bit more expensive but I am not actually sure why!

Thanks in advance

We used Cow and Gate and had no issues, will be using it again xx

I've got one of those starter kits to take into hospital (Aptamil) do guess we will try that with babba first see how we get on

Have bought c&g. Read
Made by aptimal but it's more expensive for same
Thing x

We were advised to move to SMA by doctor. I was on aptimal with my first. She had severe reflux (needed meds for a year). Aptimal is more fluid and sweeter. It mimics breast milk the most. We had to move to SMA as its slightly (not to the eye but babies belly) thicker and not as sweet so she had better chance of keeping it down. Also SMA had more variations for us to try to help her take on her milk like 'stay down' etc

We have used it for our others with no problems. I would stay stick with what you knows works but if baby doesn't respond be ready to switch. Cow and gate had ( don't know if still has) the highest sugar content or something like that. It was bought to awareness a few years back but as a result they have probably changed that now.

I've always used SMA as its what I was given so its what I knew.we used it for 3 babies now since 2002 and never had any problems.

1st baby SMA
2nd baby SMA gold,hungry babies
3rd baby. SMA comfort, had a sensitive. Stomach

In the UK all formulas are the same except for slightly differing ratios of some ingredients and some minor non-essential ingredients being present in some and not others. Aptamil costs more because it makes it appear like a premium product; it is not closest to breastmilk in taste, smell or constitution if anything it contains unnaturally high levels of certain fatty acids which make it quite unlike breastmilk xx

I started off with SMA for Eva, but it didn't seem to agree with her very well. I switched to a brand called HIPP Organic, and she was fine from there. The smell of SMA sort of turned me a bit - HIPP Organic smelled a lot more natural to me. You get it in Tescos - same price as SMA.

Couple of pounds extra per tub for Aptamil may not seem that much, but it fairly adds up over time, especially when they are taking bigger bottles. :shrug:

Blair is right. C&G and Aptimil are made by the same parent company. C&G is marketed to those on a lower income and Aptimil to those on a higher income. So, you'd expect to see Aptimil in Waitrose but not C&G. Not much difference apart from price, just a marketing ploy.

We are planning to use Aptamil. I didn't really look too much into the different brands, but my SIL uses Aptamil with her babies and said it was the best brand she'd used, so we just decided to start with that.

We've always used SMA 1. I was an SMA baby, so there was a good chance we'd be ok on it, and we could get it in all of our local shops in case of an emergency run out situation lol. Both my boys have been fine although I have read some people having problems as it's 'heavier' than the other brands.

I used aptamil with my lg but think i'm going to use cow and gate this time. I reckon the price of aptamil is a rip off tbh but as a first time mum i was naive and chose it for my daughter because i was led to believe it was better than the other formulas x

Im trying aptamil as its supposed to be closest to breast milk, but of course it depends if baby likes it or not lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->