Those of you that have high bmi

familygirl30

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm wanting to start trying for another baby soon, we hav a 3 yr old boy.Im very overweight and trying to loose weight but just wondering if any of u got pregnant and have high bmi and have you had to have more check ups etc

I've overweight and I've had no additional appointments in either pregnancy, I just have to take a glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks, other than that everything has been the same as someone with a lower weight. I got a little pack with my notes about the dangers of being overweight which I wasn't grateful for, not like I'm gonna lose a couple stone when I'm pregnant lol

Depends how overweight to be honest. In our hospital if your bmi is in the obese range you have to be consultant led, put on aspirin, have a gd test, an anesthetist appointment and extra blood tests to check for blood clots. You also aren't allowed to birthing centre or midwife only unit. Yet I have friends in different parts of the country who are very very overweight and have haven't had any extra care or monitoring what so ever, only a lecture about healthy eating. Maybe ask your gp how it works in your area? Good luck!!

Thank you both for your replies, I know I will b monitored for blood clots anyway as I had a dvt years ago before had children so had to have blood thinning injections all through pregnancy.Yeah I guess it depends what area u are in to what they do, thank u

My BMI is 32 and all I got was a lecture of healthy weight and the importance of taking care of my body. Honestly, I'm fairly active and eat "normal". My issue is my PCOS. My weight is not going anywhere. I've tried and tried. So I will continue to be happy and healthy. My OB said I should not gain any more than 15lbs. Blah Blah Blah. I have only gained 1lb so I'm not overly concerned. I think it really varies by dr. My last OB was not concerned at all with my weight due to my PCOS. Thanks to an insurance change I no longer have that OB. This new OB is much more strict. Heaven forbid I change my cat litter! I get their concern with that but I wear gloves and a dust mask.

I have a high bmi at 35.8 right now but I haven't really been questioned on my weight or given any extra attention. I was asked to do the GD test as diabetes ran in my family & because of weight but it came back normal. I've had no problems whatsoever, it's funny though because I thought due to my weight I couldn't get pregnant. I was so so wrong! (But so overjoyed!)

I gained 100lbs in my first pregnancy :)() and gave birth to a healthy boy, but i have never lost it.. ive since had one more very healthy baby and gained some there too, but not much, and I am now pregnant with #3. Because of my weight I kind of figured it would take a while to concieve but we concieved during our first cycle of trying. My midwife last time told me, when I expressed fears of problems during pregnancy, that being overweight or obese only raises the risk slightly. Every appointment my last pregnancy they reminded me i was overweight which got annoying because, what do they want me to do now? This time I'm just going to say I'd rather not track my weight because if the baby is healthy then what does my weight matter. I am exercising and eating very healthy and hope to get in better shape this pregnancy but i wont lose enough weight to be in the right range so what is the point of reminding me that im overweight? But i was able to give birth intervention free with a midwife both times.. no problems :)

My BMI is 31%
😑
I'm so ashamed
But so far I have not been treated different

My bmi is round 38 I think, I've already put on so much weight and I'm only 8 weeks. The only foods I can stomach is junk foods. I've also got pcos so I really struggled to lose weight but I didn't manage to lose over 2 stone when we first tarted ttc our second 2 years ago but after 3 miscarriages and so many failed cycles I slipped back into old habits of comfort eating etc.

Once I feel less nausea and can eat properly I do plan on trying to lose some weight, if you're classed as obese which I am then losing weight while pregnant is recommended and safe. Think I'll join slimming world as it's promoting eating good healthy and home cooked food and not about going hungry.

With my son I ws overweight but not as much as now and they did occasionally bring it up and said I possibly wouldn't be able to use birth centre but then towards the end said it was fine as I hadn't gained much extra weight and had a smooth healthy pregnancy. If they tried to say I couldn't this time then I'd just say fine I'll have a home birth instead and you can't stop me. Although I'm bigger than I want to be, I am quite fit and regularly did gym classes until I got my bfp. I plan on start going back and doing more gentle classes after 12 weeks xx

Thanks for all your replies ladies, I feel so angry with myself for gaining so much weight, I would love to start ttc our 2Nd child but i think I should lose some weight first! My bmi is 39 and with my first it was 34 and My weight was never mentioned just said I shouldnt gain too much. I heard that if bmi is over 35 then that's when they say something well I don't think I b able to get it down to that before ttc as I'm 34 yrs old nownow and hubby nearly 41 and it might not happen straight away! So I think will aim to loose at least a stone first

My bmi is 31

My midwife actually said and I quote "iv given up caring what people weigh, it makes no difference" and she's so damn right. It wouldn't have mattered if she had given me the 'overweight' lecture or not, it's too late once your.pregnant, you cant start a strict diet.

I'm following a healthy eating plan, walk a good half hour a day (make sure I get my 10,000 steps) and drink loads, but that's because I'm avoiding GD lol, here they refer to consultant if bmi is over 30. But everything iv been referred it's not been mentioned, ever.

Eta what I would suggest is that if you can loose weight before ttc it will help masses, I lost 3 stone in 5 months before getting this baby!

Not sure what Bmi is because I try not to pay attention. I've always been bigger bug really put on weight when I got on the pill after high school and then when I switched to skyla. Then I gained more weight when I got skyla removed. Got pregnant 4 months after removal. I had just started to lose some weight, but oh well. Lost a few pounds so far in first trimester due to morning sickness. As for appointments I haven't had any additional and nobody has even mentioned it besides my intake appointment they said they only wanted me gaining 10-12 pounds. Really trying to stick to that.

My BMI was about 36 with Emma, I gained 9kg and lost 10.4kg by 13 days PP. She was an average weight for a girl.

My BMI was about 50 with my first and 52 with my second!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->