Those who dont let you lo see/watch the tv...

Somewhere on page 2,365 of the thread, I was going to make an outraged comment... but I forgot what it was now that I'm here at the end.... :haha:

So instead I'll just say my thoughts on the topic:

I don't mind that my children watch T.V., but I do mind WHAT they watch.

My husband likes to collect movies, so my children mostly watch kids' movies. I WILL say that having access to TONS of movies does take away the 'novelty' of 'watching a movie' in this house...but, at least I can control what's in our movie stash. ;)

But I'm also not going to freak out when they want to turn on Spongebob and have a laugh. So far, they don't value stupidity, and don't show off their butts to anyone. I'm enough of a parent to teach them how valuable it is to be intelligent, and how inappropriate it is to show off body parts or run around in your underwear. On the flip side, my 5 yr old daughter is analytical/questioning, and my 4 yr old son has a fantastic sense of humor and comic timing...both of which require the ability to think for themselves and process complex thoughts.

So... I'm not too worried about their T.V. time. They have to have their chores done first, and they aren't allowed to park in front of it all afternoon. I don't have strict rules about timeframes, I just simply pay attention, and when I feel like they could/should be doing something else, like if it's lovely outside, or I feel like they haven't "played" yet that day since they got home from school, I simply call "TV off please!" and they comply, and go play.

Yes... my kids come running to me to say, "MOMMY!! Come look at this cool... THING... on this.... commercial! I REALLY want it!" and I really don't give it a second glance, don't go running out and buying it for them, and they forget they ever wanted it usually.

Yes... I find myself occasionally realizing I've relied on it on days where I feel like crap and don't want to do much myself. I promptly feel guilty about those days, and I make up for it. I'm human. I also read with my kids, cook with my kids, eat dinner every night with my kids, play games with my kids, and teach them about the world.

So... sure. TV advertising does reach my kids. Yes, TV can tempt me to be lazy as a parent on days where I don't feel like being the fun mommy. And yes, if I let them... they'd probably watch it all day.

So it has its drawbacks. It's my job as a mom to make sure those drawbacks don't become what's normal in my house.

Haven't read entire thread. I attended a research seminar at a university and one of the topics was the impact of TV on children. They observed school-going children in the playground and children were playing in small groups. Some were acting out movies (like Avatar), but adding their own twists and endings. Others were acting out quiz shows, like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire..others were acting out scenes from their various favourite programmes, taking their roles very seriously.

Part of the conclusion was that, TV is not bad for children as long as it is in moderation. These children were inspired by their favourite programmes, and it wasn't just blind copying of what was on TV, but rather, imitating coupled with their own creative input..as per the Avatar example above.

I think some practitioners go to the other extreme completely condemning the use of TV, but I gotta say, for me, without TV, I wouldn't know whats going on in other countries, I wouldn't know as much as I do about nature and wildlife, and history, and culture. It is widely accepted amongst professionals that we all take in information differently. Some prefer audio, others visual, others practical etc. TV plays a big role in those that learn best visually and we shouldn't just discount it because someone said so.

Yes. My LO watches TV..mostly when I need to cook, clean etc..but also sometimes when I just want to have a rest and its pouring outside. Her current favourite is Baby Jake.
Yeah. Good Debate.

That's really interesting. I do remember doing things like this as a child. I think that good quality t.v. and films can be inspiring for children. Film is another art form really, another way of telling a story. In theory, there is no difference to reading a book. In moderation and with attention to content I'm really starting to think that a bit of T.V. won't be so bad at all. There are so many great films out there that I wouldn't want LO to miss out on that. The thing that worries me more is the advertising on T.V. The adverts for kids now are so persuasive saying things like if you want to have friends you have to buy this type of school bag etc. I don't want my LO to be affected by things like that. I suppose we'll probably end up watching more DVDs rather than T.V. The T.V. is pretty rubbish here anyway (I live in Italy). Anothere reason why T.V. will be good for L.O. will be to teach her English. She's surrounded by Italian and hears English only from me. I think watching T.V in English for her will actually increase her vocabulary and language skills.

I gave up reading all the posts so my comment on the first few pages is good god, some folk are so uptight! The world isn't that bad! Tv is fine if age appropriate and not a babysitter for hours. It really is not going to do any harm, and just because some
'scientific' study said it will cause them to grow up to be a violent axe murderer doesn't necessarily mean they will, lol! Total madness! Let's not forget not long ago they were telling us mobile phones would give us all brain tumours and we shouldn't eat eggs as we'd all be having strokes and heart attacks! We cannot influence every single thing about our children's lives, we're here to show them what the world is like and guide them to making sensible and mature decisions for themselves not control their every move by stopping them go to school or watch tv because of possible influences so they are so wrapped in cotton wool that they can't fend for themselves or alternatively they choose to rebel! I watched tv as a kid but as it wasn't a big taboo in our house I was never that fussed about. I also went to school and I'm a well adjusted, successful and happy person. I think protecting your child from every stimuli apart from their parents will have a much more negative effect. Can I just add I do not think there is anything wrong with home schooling at all, it was just the reasoning of the poster that was saying their reasons for that made me LOL! Totally agree however on violent programmes, video games etc but a couple of episodes of in the night garden is not going to cause our children to grow up unable to communicate, have manic depression and be violent murders! Ok, sorry, my rant is over! Just find some people hilarious!

My lo watches tv, and to be honest i'm not concerned, in my opinion, put long anough time into researching anything a child does/eats/watches and you will find that someone some where has conducted a study that says its bad lol, just like EVERYTHING does or does not give you cancer, by that i obviously mean things like "eating baked beans" lol they will discover it sooner or later :)

ALSO i can say with COMPLETE certainty that what your child watches on tv now/doesn't watch will have ZERO effect on them becoming either a brain surgeon or an accountant or a hairdresser.

The biggest factor it will have on them will be if they want a sponge bob lunch bag or a Lightning Mc queen one. oh and maybe the toys they ask for from Santa !

My lo watches tv, and to be honest i'm not concerned, in my opinion, put long anough time into researching anything a child does/eats/watches and you will find that someone some where has conducted a study that says its bad lol, just like EVERYTHING does or does not give you cancer, by that i obviously mean things like "eating baked beans" lol they will discover it sooner or later :)

ALSO i can say with COMPLETE certainty that what your child watches on tv now/doesn't watch will have ZERO effect on them becoming either a brain surgeon or an accountant or a hairdresser.

The biggest factor it will have on them will be if they want a sponge bob lunch bag or a Lightning Mc queen one. oh and maybe the toys they ask for from Santa !

Totally agree!

Sorry have to disagree with you there, I still want to visit carealot and be a carebear 25years later, I will make it happen one day dam it

Sorry have to disagree with you there, I still want to visit carealot and be a carebear 25years later, I will make it happen one day dam it
*clutches carebear under arm* can I come to? :cloud9:

This actually made me cry with laughter! :rofl:
ETA- the pic you posted, not the smilie LOL! x

Holly watches tv- not a lot, and only children's programmes on bt vision with no adverts (I don't like all the debt adverts etc lol) or cebeebies. She's not allowed to watch the news or adult tv, so if the tv is on, then it's only children's stuff on. Just the way we do it in our house, I'd never judge others for doing it differently though-it's good that we're all different! :D x

*clutches carebear under arm* can I come to? :cloud9:

I think alot of us could do with getting a carebear stare lately :)

Sorry couldnt resist it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TzBf8aem1g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

my son's favorite toy recently is my old carebear :) <3 .. he's never seen the show but still adores it :)

Ok so having read it all finally here is my contribution: (obviously I dont have kids yet so can't comment fully!)

I used to be an assistant to a speech & language therapist and she said that it was having tv on as background noise rather than sitting down to watch a programme that affected children's development the most.
This is because children don't learn to distinguish conversational noises, requests etc from the general background noise. (She also said she could often spot the children from homes where the tv was on all the time as they were louder than others - I suppose to be heard over the background tv noise?)

I'm just passing on what I was told by the professional I worked with, I've not done any research myself! I also can't judge anyone as the tv is always on when I'm working from home - I type & listen to some real trash!!

Also I never had a Carebear as a child and feel that it may have scarred me for life.

Also I never had a Carebear as a child and feel that it may have scarred me for life.

I think you should be able to sue your parents for emotional damage!!!! :cry: :haha:

I still harbor resentment towards my mother for never letting me wear those plastic jelly shoes.

im not concerned at all..........Our tv is on all day everyday............only age appropriate tv though, i do not subject my children to jeremy kyle :haha: or any adult tv.........i do not think appropriate tv harms my child or has or will hinder any development.
however My children would rather play/use their imagination/read books then watch tv.

I think you should be able to sue your parents for emotional damage!!!! :cry: :haha:

I still harbor resentment towards my mother for never letting me wear those plastic jelly shoes.

JELLIES! HAHA wow flashback!

Those chaffed feet soooo bad!

I wasn't much of a Carebear fan, but I sure did love my My Little Ponies!

I loved carebears!!! Ohh and rainbow bright :haha:

Carebears! Stare.... THERE!!!!

Rainbow Brite was awesome!!! I still have the red guy in its original packaging.. apparently I was given 2 of them so my parents set one aside and forgot... my mom gave it to me for my son, lol... I figured its worth some money on ebay or something! :)

She wouldn't let me wear jellies because she said it was bad for your feet and feet needed to breathe... I told her thats what the holes were for :haha: ... I still feel deprived even though I know they gave horrible blisters.

I bet it's worth plenty of money! Definately worth a look :)

I loved strawberry shortcake too, there's more I'm sure but those are the ones I remember :haha:

Lady Lovely Locks :)

And yeah, I think its worth like $60... I just don't want to pay ebay fees to sell it, lol!

I had those jelly shoes. I wore them once I think then never again cos they were so uncomfortable!

I never watched Carebears or Rainbow Brite - I watched Henry's Cat and Flash Gordon and Dangermouse (can you tell I had brothers instead of sisters :haha:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->