Those who have had a harmony test..

malia

Trying for #2
Reaction score
Is it worth me paying £500 for one?
It is not covered by the NHS. My baby's NT measurement came out at 3.6 (but the baby was not in an ideal position). We are having a rescan on Monday, but if the measurement remains worrying, we need to decide between a CVS and paying privately for a harmony. I have had no blood tests, and so far have not been told my risks. The consultant was pushing for me to agree to a CVS though.
We don't really have any money to spare - it's going to be added to our pile of mounting debt.
I am not happy with the increased risk of miscarriage that comes with the CVS, so I really don't want to go down this route. I would feel horrible if I caused a miscarriage and baby was fine.
Am I right in saying the harmony will cover everything that the CVS does?

I think it would but its £500, Its not a small amount in any ones book, i too wouldn't be happy with the risks but i am not really thinking 3 is a big reading?!

I think it would but its £500, Its not a small amount in any ones book, i too wouldn't be happy with the risks but i am not really thinking 3 is a big reading?!

The threshold is 3.5 and we are 3.6. :(

I've had two NIPT's (non invasive prenatal testing) of different brands and although covered (over 35 in the US most insurances do) I would have gladly still paid for the knowledge and my nuchal fold screening was fine. "Worth it" is a relative term I guess since this test and it's counterparts are of varying cost and availability in different countries but having an option other than the riskier invasive procedures is priceless in ways that money can't touch.

That being said some people just can't afford it period and for that reason I hope they continue to push these test as a covered option along side CVS and amnio when it is appropriate. It actually is more cost effective for insurance providers and patients alike so why all insurance companies (and NHS) haven't jumped on board still surprises me.

The threshold is 3.5 and we are 3.6. :(

I wouldn't be happy taking the risk for such a small amount over, or paying £500, see what the next scan says, i think everything will be fine xxxxxxx

It's hard to say whether it'd be worth it to someone else. I had the MaterniT21, which is similar to the harmony, and for me, yes, it was well worth it. I would have put it on a credit card if I didn't have the cash to pay for it. BUT, I am a worrier, big time. I was also over 40. Even though my nuchal fold was only 1.something (can't recall now), I still thought it was worth it bc I had a much higher chance for Edwards and Patau, highter than I had for Down Syndrome. My entire pregnancy would have been worrisome for me had I not had the test.

Is it worth it for you? Idk. Is it a lot of money. My sister isn't a worrier. She always believes things will turn out ok. She wouldn't have had the test in my situation (she told me that). That's just the way she is. So it all depends on the person. Good luck and hope your next scan gives you better results and no need for any additional testing.

Thanks everyone.
I think our plan is to see what happens in the rescan, and if the measurement is still high, we are going to put the cost of the harmony on a credit card. Hopefully it won't be necessary!

It's hard to say whether it'd be worth it to someone else. I had the MaterniT21, which is similar to the harmony, and for me, yes, it was well worth it. I would have put it on a credit card if I didn't have the cash to pay for it. BUT, I am a worrier, big time. I was also over 40. Even though my nuchal fold was only 1.something (can't recall now), I still thought it was worth it bc I had a much higher chance for Edwards and Patau, highter than I had for Down Syndrome. My entire pregnancy would have been worrisome for me had I not had the test.

Is it worth it for you? Idk. Is it a lot of money. My sister isn't a worrier. She always believes things will turn out ok. She wouldn't have had the test in my situation (she told me that). That's just the way she is. So it all depends on the person. Good luck and hope your next scan gives you better results and no need for any additional testing.

Thank you. I am a total worrier, and I don't want it to ruin my entire pregnancy. I think it is probably worth it for the peace of mind. I'm only 26, but the doctor seemed keen for us to test.

I had the harmony test done, definitely worth it. Everything came back okay for me. I asked my Midwife about the next step just incase, she said the risks are super low for causing a miscarriage but it's still a possibility. However, the test is definitely worth it. It'll put your mind at ease a bit more… Either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->