Thoughts on Baby Clothing

mirbop

Reaction score
Hi there Moms! and some Dads too I'm sure.

I would love to get some feed back on the baby clothing ranges available supermarkets like Tescos, Asda and Sainsbury's. I am doing a presentation on baby clothing and have not yet been blessed with a little one so I need some input from you guys instead!

Which brand offers the best range and why?
What are they doing well?
What can they improve on?
I am particularly interested on your thoughts with regards to Tesco and Asda.

I really appreciate any help you can give me, i know ye are all very busy!

Many thanks,
Miriam x

Not sure how much I can help but I'd like to get clothes from supermarkets to save money but tbh the quality and selection just isn't there for me (sainsburys is fine but selection poor and rarely find size I want) eg I was in asda this morn having a look:
- too much disney stuff
- chavvy pinks
- necks are too big
- poor quality material

Having said that I did like the muslins but I think they've changed them as second lot I bought not as good. Plain White sleepsuits are fine tho.

Tesco I haven't bought any clothes for lo but have for other children and the older stuff is fine but the baby clothes are too expensive for what it is.

I tend to buy mostly from next/mothercare/m&s but my lo is very small (15lb at 9mnths) so her clothes last her far longer than average.

I agree-too much disney stuff, i swear to god Pooh's gonna move into adult clothing they way things are in the supermarkets. Asda and Tesco are the main culprits.

Asda's own brand sleepsuits are massive (0-3 fitted my LO at over a year corrected age, i know she was a preemie but come on!) and again, crap material

Waaayyyyy too much disney stuff. I have one piglet sleepsuit for her (that I brought at xmas but it still fits :/ ) and I only got that because it was in the sale.

I find sainsburys are good for nice bright colours that will last a long time. Asda I feel have gone down hill lately though. I loved their stuff last year but this year I've been thoroughly dissapointed and so tend not to go in there now. Tescos I don't tend to buy in as I find their sizing a bit strange and it doesn't last too well either. Saying that though, asda sleepsuits and vests are great. Theyre the only ones Ill buy as they last ages but at a good price.

Which brand offers the best range and why?
I would say Tesco. They have a lot of different stuff. But you have to get to the big stores to find any of it.
What are they doing well?
Tesco's sells cheaper baby sleeping bags than anywhere else iv found. I also buy the kids socks, bibs, muslins from there.
What can they improve on?
The sizing is crap. DS is in 6-9 month tshirts already, i find this with both Asda and Tesco. Sainsburys is the opposite and are huge.
I think Tescos needs to lower the price on some thing although some are good value for money. The colours dont last, and the material looses shape very quickly.

HTH, most of my kids clothes are from Next and H&M xx

i hate tesco its shit , asda looks great but also most of it shrinks:dohh: primark is crap too :cry: i know there not in it for long but still not worth it :nope: blankets, muslins i have from all over but i have to say that mothercare and next have been the best:thumbup: her baby gro's which we use alot have lasted a million times longer than any of the above :thumbup: x

In terms of how long the stuff lasts? I kept Alexs nice stuff to go through once Tori arrived. Only Next clothing was worth keeping, it was still in fab nick. Everything else (Tesco, asda, matalan, primark) was all thinned, bobbled etc :/
I have actually swore to buy any further sleepsuits from Next.
Also, I have a lot of Mothercare Fisher Price pieces (most from the Rainforest range because we collect it) and its very well made

We havnt got anything from Tesco but have a fair but from ASDA. ASDA is ok, lots of Disney stuff though, bit too much if you ask me. Also the sizes there can be a bit hit and miss, my baby is 98th centile and in 6-9 month clothes and some of the 0-3 month t-shirts still fit her. But we got some 3-6 month sleepsuits when she was 2 months old and they only fit her for a few weeks. IMO they are ok if you are on a budget. Primarks stuff is generally ok but I wouldnt expect it to last for a second baby, but then again for the price it doesnt really matter. The best stuff we have had by far is from Next, baby gap is good quality too but they seem to only cater for skinny babies (12-18month skirt fits my chunky LO). I usually buy LO's stuff from the next outlet or if really skint will do Primark or ASDA.

I get virtually 90% of Violets clothes from Asda as they are good quality, excellent value for money, wash well, modern, gorgeous designs and they are SO cheap so she has lots and lots of different outfits for each season/size! I also like it that they come with matching hats etc and I love all the accessories.

In my opinion, for value for money and lovely designs you cant beat Asda baby clothes! :)

I tried clothes from both tesco and asda but I dont anymore by the time they finish with them they are thin or have holes and I can't use them again. I would prefer to spend a bit more first time to save with the second :shrug: not sure that helps.

Tho ive found tesco better

I agree-too much disney stuff, i swear to god Pooh's gonna move into adult clothing they way things are in the supermarkets. Asda and Tesco are the main culprits.

Asda's own brand sleepsuits are massive (0-3 fitted my LO at over a year corrected age, i know she was a preemie but come on!) and again, crap material

This cracks me up because one of my favorite shirts is a Tigger shirt. I've never considered Winnie the Pooh to be Disney though.

I love tesco for clothing, only have a few bits from there which we get back when we're in the UK. Mainly buy from Next and M&S, cant recommend them enough x

I dislike all supermarket baby clothes! not in a snooty way - just i have brought lots of clothes from tesco asda and sainsbury and found that all the clothes go out of shape after 1 wash, shrink, colour runs! etc.. not best experience

I think Tesco sleepsuits are too thin. I think there t shirts are too short & fat. I think the range in both is very good & price exceptional.

I dislike all supermarket baby clothes! not in a snooty way - just i have brought lots of clothes from tesco asda and sainsbury and found that all the clothes go out of shape after 1 wash, shrink, colour runs! etc.. not best experience

i agree 100%, i have bought quite a lot from different supermarkets and vowed nevere to do again. Next seems to be the best for everything, mothercare for pjs and vests and also have a few things from m&s and still like new :)

I would definitely agree that there's too much Disney stuff and in my opinion, the colours are too bright and the clothes are often a bit more "grown up" looking than I would choose for Sophie's age.

I haven't seen anything I've liked for a while in Tesco or Asda - last year I got quite a lot of things in Asda but just one or two nice things in Tesco.

I do like Tesco's vests - Asda's are ok but I find the style of Tesco's are better and the material is nicer. Their sleepsuits (both supermarkets) are ok but lots of them are quite thin and the fleecy ones go really bobbly after just one wash. We've had some nicer ones from Asda but Tesco's ones are really thin.

The prices are great and sometimes you can pick up some real bargains in the sales but some of the tops are very short and wide!

One thing I do find in both supermarkets is it's often hard to find the size I'm looking for. They seem to stock loads of tiny baby and 12-18 months and not so much in between!

Hope this helps a bit.

x

i think supermarket stuff is good for a budget. yes it doesn't last aslong but then my son is growing out of it in about 2-3 months so who cares! lol I'm very lucky that my MIL insists on buying us really good quality stuff but i add to it with a few supermarket things.

Asda- Sizes are on the big side which is good for growing baby
Definately too much disney though

Tesco- Smaller
better variety and seem more stylish

sainsbury- never bought any myself

woah some bad reviews for asda and tesco!

iv found asda to be great for baby clothes and the toddler clothes i buy same as tesco. although i do prefer m&s and next for the more soft fabrics x

I have stuff from all 3 of those supermarkets.

I find asda is very hit or miss. I love the sleepsuits but do find that they can rip easy if you pull the press stud and it doesn't come apart, if you know what I mean! I use asda if I don't want to spend much money so I do buy basics from there like plain tops. Some of my favourite baby outifits for my lo were from asda though!!

I don't buy too much from Tesco to be honest. The one near me doesn't have a very good range and they all look more suited to newborns as they are all very cutesy and pale pink.

I really like Sainsburys. Everything washes well and the quallity is good :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadleyfai
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->