three meals?

Vickie

Hannah & Rhys <3
Reaction score
How long did you wait before introducing three meals a day? I'm not sure if we should at this point or if we should wait for Hannah to become well adjusted to two meals first! What did you all do?

I'm thinking of trying 3 meals a day, as from next week, once I've let him try all combinations of fruit & veg purees. I gave him 2 1/2 weeks on 1 meal a day, 2 1/2 weeks on 2 meals a day and hopefully next week with be 3 meals a day.

The only reservation I have is that the book I'm roughly following - Annabel Karmel - says that I'll need to drop his tea time milk feed.....I think If I do that he'll scream the place down :hissy: so I'm to scared to try :blush:

Good luck! I'd never heard that you should drop the milk feed

No neither had I til I read her book, in her meal planner it shows 5 feeds then drops that to 4 when you start 3 meals a day. I don't think it'll work with Lewis, his tea time feed is his biggest of the day 9oz, pureed parsnip for tea will just not do :rofl:

:lol: 9 ounces! I just wish we could get Hannah to eat like that. She's a small eater, always has been

We were told that at 6mo start with one meal a day and then BY 7-8mo do 2 meals and then BY 10-12 to 3 meals. It's no rush, if you start doing too many too early it can makethem cut back on their formula/breastmilk which they shouldn't do until closer to 1. I'd just watch and see if they seem they want an extra meal, but I wouldn't replace any bottles with it.

I'm not doing it yet, but I'm thinking of putting her back on one meal a day

Waited until i thought she was capable of eating 3 meals :)

No rush sweet , you will know when she is ready :)

I'm not doing it yet, but I'm thinking of putting her back on one meal a day

She not taking well to two? Hannah is doing okay on two, she actually takes her solids better than her formula :dohh: Her teeth have been really bothering her lately though :wacko: Wish one would just push through already

Oh and Ella has only just taken to 3 meals a day :) So it can take ahwile for them to be intrested ;)

I think we'll just go with the flow and see what happens :)

We were told that at 6mo start with one meal a day and then BY 7-8mo do 2 meals and then BY 10-12 to 3 meals. It's no rush, if you start doing too many too early it can makethem cut back on their formula/breastmilk which they shouldn't do until closer to 1. I'd just watch and see if they seem they want an extra meal, but I wouldn't replace any bottles with it.
Thats all well and good guidelines if baby started weaning at 6 months. Some babies start from 4 months it depends on baby.

Caitlins never been a big milky girl but when she had 4-5 bottles a day she took little ozs per bottle when we dropped bottles she took more on others and enjoyed her food.

Gradually leading to the age of one we dropped all bottles but morning and night. This was right for my baby - she use to have one in the afternoon she was never interested so we dropped that too. Many at Caitlins age are on more milk than she is but my babies not another baby shes her own person and is very healthy and happy.

I found going with the flow going with my instincts of what was right rather than sticking to guidelines as a rule worked well in the end.

Anyway I spoke to you a lil about this Vickie I think if you feel its right than a bottle drop is the way to go now as little miss has been introduced and has enjoyed her food for a lil while. I can't think of anything specific but we have had times where we've tried new stages and found we come back to them a month later etc - you'll know if theres a stage shes not quite ready for (if you see what I mean) x

im still on 1 meal a day....

well kinda... this morning... she was messing about with her bottle and didnt want it so I gave her some fruit... she liked that :)

so guess im on 2 a day now lol... :shrug:
ive only been giving her 1 a day for just over a week... is this too soon??

also vickie... did u give her bottle first then offer the pureed veg after... cos this is what the hipp web site says... i havent done that :shrug:

im confused :confused:

we did one meal for 1 week then went up to 2. then 3 weeks after this we went to 3. we started with lunch. then lunch plus evening meal. and finally added breakfast. now we're on 4. or 3 plus afternoon snack anyway.
i just did what i felt was right, i wasnt guided so i could have got it all wrong!...but i mentioned what we do now to the paediatrician and she was happy.

i offer him milk after each meal (bfed) and its true he doesnt take a huge amount. he still takes a lot of milk before bed and in the night .

im still on 1 meal a day....

well kinda... this morning... she was messing about with her bottle and didnt want it so I gave her some fruit... she liked that :)

so guess im on 2 a day now lol... :shrug:
ive only been giving her 1 a day for just over a week... is this too soon??

also vickie... did u give her bottle first then offer the pureed veg after... cos this is what the hipp web site says... i havent done that :shrug:

im confused :confused:

yeah we're doing milk first. I think if Hannah had it her way she'd eat the jars and skip the milk altogether!! :wacko: If I thought she'd eat the bottle after than I wouldn't really be bothered either way but not this kid! She's just not fond of milk!!

I was on one meal a day for quite a long time so dinner is well established with her. Breakfast is going a bit better and will introduce lunch in a week or maybe two I think after she gets more used to breakfast. Hannah has two night bottles of almost 6 ounces apiece and I plan to try to move those to the day time because she really eats in a 12 hour time period but it's from 3 in the afternoon until 3 a.m. rather than say 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. if that makes sense?

If Courtney is happy with two meals than I wouldn't see a problem with it

Amelia is kinda already on 3 meals a day. I always feed her milk first, then b/fast she a small amount of hipp porridge. Lunch time she has milk then some sort of puree. Dinner time she tends to have quite a lot of baby rice and would probably take more but i am worried about giving her too much!

How do you know how much to give them? Dinner time after her regular feed of milk, she probably has about equivelent to 3/4 of a small jar is that too much? or can i give her more if she wants it?

I'm concerned that because she likes the taste of something so much she will just keep eating!

I think for solids you just give them as much as they want :shrug: That's what I've been told at least. Hannah eats about 1/3 of a jar in the evenings and a tablespoon-2 tablespoons of oatmeal. But I think we are going to increase the jar and cut down on the oatmeal. I ended up giving her a lunch today and she did really well. At noon she had 4 ounces of her bottle (good for her!) and 1/3 of a jar of sweet potatoes :happydance: Now we'll see how it affects the rest of her day

I think for solids you just give them as much as they want :shrug: That's what I've been told at least. Hannah eats about 1/3 of a jar in the evenings and a tablespoon-2 tablespoons of oatmeal. But I think we are going to increase the jar and cut down on the oatmeal. I ended up giving her a lunch today and she did really well. At noon she had 4 ounces of her bottle (good for her!) and 1/3 of a jar of sweet potatoes :happydance: Now we'll see how it affects the rest of her day

wow really? i guess she must stop when she has had enough but compared to Hannah, Amelia is probably eating 4 to 5 times that amount, it really seems like too much. But she keeps opening her mouth for the spoon!

Mind you she has started waking again at night so maybe i do need to up her meals.

Why cant we get an individual manual print out, things would be sooo much easier!!!

Hannah's a small eater though, always has been!! Trust me it's driven me up the wall sometimes but she's always gained weight and length so she must know what she needs! Just goes to show all babies are so so different! :wacko:

I don't know why I always get called out lol. I was saying by those ages, which means if you started at 4mo still by that age they should be doing that...it doesn't change that part. As far as not dropping down formula/breastmilk until closer to 1 it doesn't matter what age you start at you shouldn't do that because that's what provides their complete nutrition and what should be their main nutrition until around a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->