Time Outs to be banned In Australian Childcare

I never use the term naughty step but whats wrong with 'time out'? Thats what they're doing - taking a time out from whatever they were doing.

I personally just dont agree with (especially for under 3's) and dont use 'time outs' and/or 'naughty step' or 'thinking time' but out of the three if i had to use a term it would be 'thinking time'

I will be using the "naughty step" thing my fantastic (non smacking ;) ) mum used it with me and ill be using it with oscar.

I think way way to much worry and over reaction is put on using certain words and terms to be honest.

I'm with Ashley, I see nothing wrong in time outs, or in 'spanking' when needed. Neither would be my first resort, and when it comes to spanking i'm hesitant. I would tap the bank of the hand, or perhaps the back of the legs, but I really do think that has to be a final resort if all else has failed.
I was spanked as a child and I love both of my parents dearly. My brother on the other hand is rather a lot younger than me, and was barely disciplined because of societies changing ideas, and he has major issues with respecting authority, has been in trouble with the law, and disrespects both of my parents....

I believe in spanking and time outs both. Society has turned into what it has today because of lack of discipline. One of the top hit songs on the radio is about mass murder of kids (pumped up kicks) because of this, out of freaking control!!!

The method that works for the child is best. Some children do respond to no (or next to no) discipline and that is the method that should be used because something more harsh is not required. Not my daughter. It took spanking to get through to her... straight up. And I will say that almost 100% of the time her behavior was not repeated.

I never use the term naughty step but whats wrong with 'time out'? Thats what they're doing - taking a time out from whatever they were doing.

Completely agree.

And sometimes we both need a break from each other.

Yes I do take time outs when I am pissed off at my OH lol. It's better to walk away and calm down.

My LO has grabbed a painting off the wall and thrown it at me. Pushed me in the shower when I was pregnant. Does lots of aggressive things when things aren't going her way, so I use time outs for her own safety and mine.

Every kid is different. Having a little heart to heart and hug fest may work for some of you, but for us, she has to have a time out first to calm down, and then we move on to talking about it.

Vaurissa -- that's a good point about using it only if the child needs it. I see little point in putting my daughter in 'time out', because all it takes is KNOWING we're upset with her, and she's devastated. So... on the rare occasion that she does something 'naughty' (she's wayyyy too much of a pleaser to dare, most of the time...) there's no need for a time out. She's already in tears just from knowing she's done it.

My son.... heh. Well, he's not exactly the same. Time outs work well for him, because he needs to 'break the chain'. There's this little rebellious streak in him that just can't seem to resist either acting out worse and worse as the 'talk' or 'correction' goes on... or mouthing off in order to get the last word. I swear it's like he can't hold it in.... he knows it'll get him in trouble, but he'll still let a defiant comment slip out--and then get a look like, "Argh. NOW I've done it!" :haha:
It helps HIM much more if he is removed from people for a few minutes to a.) not give him the chance to dig himself a deeper hole...and b.) Cool off. He's good about cooling off, and doesn't hold grudges.
It works very nicely for him.

Two different kids... two different needs.

I personally just dont agree with (especially for under 3's) and dont use 'time outs' and/or 'naughty step' or 'thinking time' but out of the three if i had to use a term it would be 'thinking time'

Alot of schools use "Think Time" as a p.c. method of giving a brief 'time out' for the child to reflect. Really, I think it serves more as a time for child to cool down, or get out of the spotlight... but they say 'to reflect' because it sounds nicer. ;) Either way I don't have a problem with it.

I think a time out at home is quite different from a time out in the childcare setting. For me it is the humilation thing, at home that is not likely to happen but sitting a child on a chair or standing them against a wall whilst others can watch them is humilating for the child and I am against that.

I agree with that. It should be somewhere that takes the spotlight OFF of them, not puts it ON them.

I think a time out at home is quite different from a time out in the childcare setting. For me it is the humilation thing, at home that is not likely to happen but sitting a child on a chair or standing them against a wall whilst others can watch them is humilating for the child and I am against that.

That makes sense!

I've already said my piece on this but interesting you say that.
Just wondering what people who use time out techniques think about this....Ruby's childminder and I 'parted company' over her using time out technique (and refusing to modify it) - but she was putting Ruby / other children actually outside the room, into the front porch, out of sight and earshot, for time outs.

I always assumed people who did use time out would think that was acceptable :shrug:

Wow, no wondered you parted with her after that. I have used time out very occassionally (my children dont tend to need to any thing other than a no dont do that because....) and we have always placed the child in view but away from the situation and other children.

I know with my children's school they have permission from a few children's parents to use time out and in the middle of all the classrooms is a communal learning area, the child is usually taken there (children cant see it from their classrooms) but a teacher/classroom assistant goes out there and sits on a different table from said child keeping an eye on him/her but also getting on with some marking etc :thumbup:

My MIL was/is a childminder and always put the child in the hall but she was in the backroom so couldnt see or hear them and obviously it was by the front door as well as the stairs :nope: she had a front room that was connected to the back room by big double doors which she could of people LO in away from the situation but still see and hear them :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->