Tingly Breasts and Slow Weight Gain

Mikihob

Mom & TTC#2
Reaction score
My baby was only 1 day early but never ate a lot at first. I wasn't aware to actually wake him every 2 hours OR that when he falls asleep while nursing, it doesn't mean that he is full. I had milk issues at first. After the 6 week growth spurt he has been eating more, waking less at night (untill now when he got a cold) but the doc is worried that he is only gaining 1oz a day.

Sometimes my breasts tingle and feel warmer AFTER I feed him. Is that normal or should it only happen before??

My baby was only 1 day early but never ate a lot at first. I wasn't aware to actually wake him every 2 hours OR that when he falls asleep while nursing, it doesn't mean that he is full. I had milk issues at first. After the 6 week growth spurt he has been eating more, waking less at night (untill now when he got a cold) but the doc is worried that he is only gaining 1oz a day.

Sometimes my breasts tingle and feel warmer AFTER I feed him. Is that normal or should it only happen before??

I think it's only considered to be a red flag when weight gain is less than 150g (bit less than 6oz) on average per week. Obviously it depends on his initial size and where he is on growth charts etc.

Your breasts could feel warm because of oxytocin. This hormone brings blood to your chest to keep the baby warm while it feeds. If however it is just your nipples that are warm and only get this way after a feed, then perhaps there is some vasospasm going on: What do your nipples look like when they come out of Los mouth? are they pink or white? Are they ever squashed, flattened or angled?

An ounce a day is great weight gain, that's almost two pound per month! Is your LO gaining an ounce a week perhaps?

Not sure about the warm breasts, mine only get like that when my milk let downs. It can be slightly painful at times (temporarily for 5-15 seconds).

I think it's only considered to be a red flag when weight gain is less than 150g (bit less than 6oz) on average per week. Obviously it depends on his initial size and where he is on growth charts etc.

Your breasts could feel warm because of oxytocin. This hormone brings blood to your chest to keep the baby warm while it feeds. If however it is just your nipples that are warm and only get this way after a feed, then perhaps there is some vasospasm going on: What do your nipples look like when they come out of Los mouth? are they pink or white? Are they ever squashed, flattened or angled?

Usually they are pink but sometimes purple. I have also seen white several times. Sometimes I will be sitting at my desk and my breasts get really warm and they tingle. Sometimes before he eats and sometimes after. Its odd.

An ounce a day is great weight gain, that's almost two pound per month! Is your LO gaining an ounce a week perhaps?

Not sure about the warm breasts, mine only get like that when my milk let downs. It can be slightly painful at times (temporarily for 5-15 seconds).

His pediatrician said he should gain an ounce per day. It could be because he lost a lot at first and didn't gain it back as fast as he should. He gained just under an ounce a day so his Pedi is finally happy. He was 8lb 12oz on June 6 and 10lb 4oz on July 1. He's growing so fast!!

I was thinking that the warm tingling was let down. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->