tinned fruit

frogslegs

Reaction score
do any of you ladies give your babies tinned fruit?

I am just interested as looking for something different to apples and pears and as not much else is in season I was wondering if they are ok. I know they are not ideal as not fresh but would you use them occasionally along side fresh fruit and veg?

I've used them to make purees. Just make sure you get the ones packed in juice not in water.

I agree with Vickie, I would get them in juice.

And actually depending on some things (unless everything you use was grown locally) alot of can/tinned things can be better. They are canned as soon as they are harvested, and the canning keeps them away from chemicals in the air that cause "fresh" fruit to go bad. So therefore they can stay fresher longer.
When I cook our food I tend to use canned things, especially like canned tomatoes (I get the diced alot, but they also have whole ones) because I can buy them when I go to the store, instead of having to make a special trip to the store just for tomatoes when I need them. (Especially since we stock up on 2-3 weeks worth of meals at one visit, and they would go back by the time I use them all)

I would say half the fruit my baby gets is tinned, that way there is a bigger selection and it's probably got more vitamins than imported stuff that's been lying on a container ship for ages!

I use tinned pears, peaches, strawberries, apricots and mango and I always get the ones in juice NOT syrup.

Frozen fruits are also a good option. Bought some mixed berries today that I'm going to puree later for Hannah :)

Vickie, do you not find that the frozen berries end up being quite tart? I have raspberry bushes in my garden and end up with a freezer full of them, when they are picked in late autumn they are so sweet and delicious but once they are frozen I find they seem to lose that sweetness. Did you give Hannah these berries early on? I am so totally clueless.

also would you sieve the seeds out of raspberry puree then mix with another fruit or serve it as is?

I haven't actually given them to Hannah yet and personally not a berry person so I don't eat them :rofl: Stan seems to like them though so we'll see how it goes. I doubt I'll sieve anything out unless it's really big and hard, Hannah does eat some food chunks and does well with them. Hannah has had fresh blueberries, strawberries and blackberries and she loved them all

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->