Tipping?? Is it just me or is this appalling

I think its the same here too Tasha. So a blow out could either mean a tire OR having your hair dried. Makes sense, no?

/sarcasm. :rofl: :winkwink:

Loving the tangent this thread has gone on!

But on topic - I don't tip anyone. No one ever tips here (except for Americans on holiday :haha:) cos service workers get paid a living wage (plus everything is so freaking expensive no one can afford to tip!). Sometimes I want to tip though for exceptional service but I don't cos I worry they'd be offended. So I just tell them how grateful I am instead.

I used to work in two restaurants, and I only made $2.12 an hour, plus tips. We added an 18% gratuity for tables with 6 or more people. I was repulsed every time someone tipped me less than 15%, because I know I worked hard for that money. Some people are just stingy and rude. Never again will I work in a restaurant.

It's just the way of life here. You are expected to tip a person who makes less than minimum wage. This includes waiters, car hops, hairdressers, and manicurists. However, you are not expected to tip for bad service. A tip is a gratuity for services rendered. Because I've worked in restaurants, I always leave a good tip for good service (at least 20%). If I receive bad service, I refuse to tip, and I ALWAYS speak to the manager about it.

I do understand cultural differences, though. :flower:

If I get acceptable or better service at a restaurant, then I'm happy to tip 15% or so. If I get crappy service, then I won't tip, and I don't care what anyone says about that. In my opinion, you cannot provide bad service and expect to be rewarded for it.
I have been to Las Vegas a few times, and you have to tip everybody there!!!!

In areas where servers'wages are so low, what is the cost of eating out? I just don't understand how anyone could afford to eat out/ go for drinks if you have to tip everyone in sight. If the cost is comparatively lower then it's more reasonable that you are expected to tip.

I have a question about actual prices for things.is a meal cheaper and then a tip is expected or are prices still high and a tip is expected on top?because I think it is extremely wrong for business owners to pocket all the profits from services and sales AND expect customers to pay wages.however if the food/service is cheap then fair enough.here I'm sure the price of wages etc is built into the income the place receives.sometimes ill leave some spare change if I was really happy or let them keep the change from the bill but that's it

Costs of menu items are not lowered in order to make room for a tip, because the tip goes directly into the server's pocket; the restaurant doesn't get any of it, iykwim.

Places where the food is really cheap there is no waitstaff (ie, fast food joints).

I think what they mean is, how much is a regular meal out not top of the range/posh and not a grotty dive either, where you all are?

ETA per head, no wine, beer etc

Applebees is pretty middle-of-the road and their entrees run between $9 -$18. They also have appetizers and desserts.

For us, whenever 4 adults eat there it comes to about $70. The most we spend on drinks is whatever a soda costs. Then a tip on top of that.

Thank you for replying. So four people is roughly £43, is that one course? Middle of the road where I am is about £18 for one course per head, so your looking at 116 us dollars for four people at one course each. That is almost twice as much. I suspect that is why people here are reluctant to tip because chuck on soft drinks (£10 each will get you three soft drinks (soda) or two j20's or what ever) and desert (about £6) each and your looking at £136 ($220 US dollars) for a two course meal with soft drinks for four. If we gave 20% tip then it is would make it £163 ($264) and that is without tipping any one but the waiter/ess. So I think people here feel like we pay the wages within what we already pay, does that makes sense?

Applebees is pretty middle-of-the road and their entrees run between $9 -$18. They also have appetizers and desserts.

For us, whenever 4 adults eat there it comes to about $70. The most we spend on drinks is whatever a soda costs. Then a tip on top of that.

a proper Entree (not sandwiches) are US $ 13 - 26 here at Applebee's. A dessert is for $ 18. A coke $ 5. But waiters get a monthly salary, 1 month paid vacation per year, & a ticket to hometown every 2 years. This is why I don't always tip. Last time I visited I was kind of forced to tip when the waiter brought the credit card machine to the table & asked me if I wanted to add a tip :wacko:

We paid around $ 63 for 2 fajitas, 1 coke, 1 kids meal, & a chips & salsa (chips & salsa is $10! they serve this spinach cheese thing with it), then I had to pay 10% as a tip.

ETA: we didn't even order guacamole with our fajitas which cost $ 5 dollars I think. :rofl:

Thank you for replying. So four people is roughly £43, is that one course? Middle of the road where I am is about £18 for one course per head, so your looking at 116 us dollars for four people at one course each. That is almost twice as much. I suspect that is why people here are reluctant to tip because chuck on soft drinks (£10 each will get you three soft drinks (soda) or two j20's or what ever) and desert (about £6) each and your looking at £136 ($220 US dollars) for a two course meal with soft drinks for four. If we gave 20% tip then it is would make it £163 ($264) and that is without tipping any one but the waiter/ess. So I think people here feel like we pay the wages within what we already pay, does that makes sense?

In our case, it is one course (entree), and then we will split an appetizer or two. Usually don't order dessert. The drinks are about $2 each. Broken down, it's around $50 - $55 for all four entrees, another $7 for one appetizer and around $8 for 4 softdrinks. So around $70 total.

With a 20% tip, we're looking at $85. At Applebees. Ridiculous.

We dont have Applebees here, I dont think, so cant compare x

I dunno, I kinda see applebees as lower end eating out? For us when we eat out middle of the road it's usually 20-30 per person unless they want alcohol or desserts. Our dinner bill for two adults is usually 60-70 not including tips. DH likes a beer with his. Guess it depends. We usually prefer mom and pop restaurants to chains. Places like olive garden or red lobster are slightly higher than applebees (in my opinion) and more middle ground. Dinner options are roughly $10-$25 for entree, soup is $5 if you want to add on, wine is anywhere from $6-30/glass with cocktails going around $8-10. Dessert is about $6. Appetizers are around $6-15. I'm cheap and get soup and salad when I go lol. Their soup is delicious!!

Applebees is like one step up from a Denny's, but I don't know if you have those, either.

Without going off on a restaurant comparison tangent, I'll say I consider Applebees, Olive Garden and Red Lobster the same as far as where they lie in the great food chain.

I'd consider somewhere like Panera Bread or Ruby's Diner lower and a Ruth's Chris high-end. But you don't tip at PB.

It's lower end eating out here, one level above mcdonalds / burger king :rofl:

Do you have Friday's? Chili's? Coco's? All similar concept & prices which are rediculously high compared to the States.

Coco's is still around? I went to dinner there with my family in the 80's :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->