Tips and useful buys for FTM

baileybubs

Reaction score
Hi everyone

When I was pregnant with Emilia I remember there being a thread that was really helpful for me as a FTM so I thought I'd post one for other FTMs! Also I might get some useful tips that I didn't know about for baby number 2!

So here's a couple of things I found really helpful;

Make sure you make some time for yourself once baby arrives, me and df argued loads until I sat down and told him I needed some time to myself, I love my dd but it's a 24/7 job and sometimes you just need a break! And the thing is no one will offer you that break, you have to ask for it, I learned that the hard way!

Buy lots of muslins or burp cloths, best things ever!

Don't worry about routines for the first couple of months, just enjoy your baby and go with the flow

BEST BUY

My best buy without a doubt was the angelcare motion sensor monitor. I've had a few false alarms but you just can't put a price on that peace of mind!

Anyone who has anymore please add and I'll keep adding more as I remember them (I currently have major baby brain so will add more later lol)

If the baby cries put a boobie in their mouth, even if they have just fed. Boobies solve ANY problem.

Muslins are AMAZING, so many uses! I second the angelcare monitor too, love love LOVE it! My ergo baby carrier has been amazing too, still use it with my almost 2 year old. If you're going to buy a baby carrier, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do your research, nothing worse than buying an uncomfy 'crotch dangler' like a baby bjorn xx

If the baby cries put a boobie in their mouth, even if they have just fed. Boobies solve ANY problem.

This also kind of works for men lol ;)

:rofl:

I'm another muslin fan! They are great, I used to put one under babies head at night cus they both used to posset and then I wouldn't have to change the sheet every day, make shift blankets, changing table, cloth to wipe up spit, dribble, sick, use as a bib, use to protect your clothes! They have soo many uses!

Don't buy too many fussy outfits on newborn size! Waste of money cus they look so uncomfy, end up in a nice snugly sleepsuits for the first few weeks.

Feeding pillow is another thing I love, my 18 month still uses his everyday and I used it when I was pregnant too.

Muslins are AMAZING, so many uses! I second the angelcare monitor too, love love LOVE it! My ergo baby carrier has been amazing too, still use it with my almost 2 year old. If you're going to buy a baby carrier, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do your research, nothing worse than buying an uncomfy 'crotch dangler' like a baby bjorn xx

I have a ringsling I use with my toddler and I love it, definitely look into what type of carrier you want to use, I can't believe I waited til he was a toddler, I can't wait to wear my newborn, and it means I'll have my hands free for other stuff I need to be doing!

I agree on the angelcare! It litteraly saved my DD's life!

I will be looking into a sling for babywearing and a feeding pillow this time.

Hello ladies, I'm 9 and a half weeks pregnant with my first baby and I absolutely love this idea for a forum, I'm very grateful :)
I will definitely be buying loads of muslin squares, I prefer the super soft babygrows for newborns and I really want to find a great sling! I like the traditional ring ones too, I got to cuddle someone elses baby in one all afternoon and it was really secure and baby just slept away.

See I knew I'd learn something, I didn't have a sling/carrier for Emilia but am looking into getting one for new baby as I will also have a toddler to run around after! So any tips on slings/carriers is appreciated!

Another Angelcare and muslin fan here! We still go through a huge amount of mussies at 16 months.

My biggest bit of advice would be not to listen to too many opinions. Everyone will have a different view of everything you do with your baby and will feel the need to give advice on feeding/sleep/teething/weaning etc. Listen to your own instincts.

Another Angelcare and muslin fan here! We still go through a huge amount of mussies at 16 months.

My biggest bit of advice would be not to listen to too many opinions. Everyone will have a different view of everything you do with your baby and will feel the need to give advice on feeding/sleep/teething/weaning etc. Listen to your own instincts.

I totally agree. In the end showed me numerous times that moms knows best. So follow your instincts.

We got on well with the baby bjorn carrier :shrug: different strokes for different folks!

It's an old adage but a true one - sleep when baby sleeps in the first few weeks!

Baby sleeping bags are brilliant if your baby is very kicky and you don't want to swaddle.

I found the feeding pillow a godsend with DD, also research different feeding positions (we used rugby ball hold as my boobs are on the large side :blush: )

I found the feeding pillow a godsend with DD, also research different feeding positions (we used rugby ball hold as my boobs are on the large side :blush: )

Oh, me too. The nurse came and put DD on top of me and tried to latch her that way. :wacko: next time I will be harsh if they act "silly" like that again. I have larger boobs as well and find rugby ball position works best for me as well. :haha:

How many muslins should I buy?

I don't like the look of traditional baby carriers but I love wraps and slings - I don't know where to start with everything!

We didn't bother with a baby bath first time - went from a basin to the big bath.
We also didn't get a changing table, just two mats - one for upstairs, one for down!

Agree on not buying any outfits in newborn size - so much handier just to keep baby in onesies for the first few weeks. We first put ellie in a dress at about 6 weeks as we were heading to a christmas party.

If breastfeeding invest in a really good nipple cream (Lansinoh) - it is really worth it! My nipples cracked and the cheap stuff stung like hell!

We got on well with the baby bjorn carrier :shrug: different strokes for different folks!

It's an old adage but a true one - sleep when baby sleeps in the first few weeks!

Baby sleeping bags are brilliant if your baby is very kicky and you don't want to swaddle.

The baby bjorns arnt the best position for a baby to be in is all I think she meant, as the baby is basically being held up by the crotch it's not very good for the hips, I had one with my last baby and he didn't seem to mind being in it but it hurt my back, and iv since find out information about better and more comfortable ways to carry for me and him. Do a quick google and you should find loads of info :flower:

We didn't bother with a baby bath first time - went from a basin to the big bath.
We also didn't get a changing table, just two mats - one for upstairs, one for down!

Agree on not buying any outfits in newborn size - so much handier just to keep baby in onesies for the first few weeks. We first put ellie in a dress at about 6 weeks as we were heading to a christmas party.

If breastfeeding invest in a really good nipple cream (Lansinoh) - it is really worth it! My nipples cracked and the cheap stuff stung like hell!

Oh yes Lansinoh is a definite NEED if your planning to breast feed!

You can get muslin squares for cheap on ebay - I'd get a pack of 6 or more. Depends how often you can do washing. They're handy to drape over your shoulder to protect modesty when feeding in public, as well as the obvious cleaning up of sick!

I'll be buying this sling along with the feeding pillow and feeding shawl.

I used babysense whitenoise with DD and it helped a lot with her cramping and reflux to calm her down after screaming fits.

Attachments

• babysense sling.jpg
    babysense sling.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 8
  • babysense sling 2.jpg
    babysense sling 2.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads