to apply or not to apply...?

xcharx

Reaction score
Just seen a really good job for myself on nhs. Great hours, good salary & something I know I'd be good at. BUT it says its a temporary contract for 12 months :( do you think if I was really good at the job they'd keep me on?
Help?! I'm really in two minds.. I don't want to start then have to leave & find another job after 12 months!!

Cx

There is no harm in applying, you can aways ask at the interview if there is a chance the contract will be extended

Is it covering maternity leave or something like that

^WSS.

I would apply, see how it goes and ask questions at interview :)

GL xx

I would apply! SIl got a permanent job from temping in NHS. Plus it's a long contract so good for your cv and enough time to find something else whilst your there

Xxx

it depends on why it temp, if it covering maternity leave then chances are you might not be kept on, but if it coz no one seems to be taking on perm roles at the mo then sounds good.

but you might as well apply and discuss in interview. GL

I'd apply, who knows what 12 months down the line it'll be like, at my job before last I started off as cover staff, then I got maternity full time cover, then shortly after I got a full time job so its worth applying for I think, good luck hun xx

Its a good opportunity to get experience and knowledge of the job. I'd say they only have funding for 12 months, it wouldn't be about your performance per se. Ring up and ask why it's temporary, can't do any harm?

Yeah go for it. Once your in the NHS, there's a strong chance that if your post does actually finish in 12 months (lots run on or are extended in my experience), they'll keep you on elsewhere at the same salary because of your experience.

I work for the NHS too and see this quite a bit. Good luck

I rung up earlier because I had a question about petrol, the women said that the service (its part of a falls team, I went to apply for this job a few weeks ago but it got taken off before I had a chance) is new so I'm guessing its 12 month contract to see if the service is w success

Cx

Yes, I would apply. :thumbup:

Sounds (as you say) that they want to trial the role before making it perm.

Yes I would apply. I work for the NHS, when I started I was on a 12 month contract to start a new service, after a year the role was made permanent and I have been there 9 years now. At my trust a lot of departments are being prevented from advertising permanent jobs at the mo due to the economical climate, so many are only being allowed to advertise short term contracts. Doesn't mean the post won't get extended or made permanent later, and as others have said, even if it doesn't then you still have the year's experience to take forward on your CV.

Definitely apply!
As others have said, at the very worst you will get great interview and application experience. At the best, you'll get the job and have something stellar to put on your CV, great skill-building, and the opportunity to make excellent contacts for future opportunities - whether or not the job does get extended.
Best of luck to you! :)

I haven't finished the application yet, because I don't have a laptop or a computer.. so I've filled out the small bits like my details, reference details.. just got the big questions to answer :)

Cx

Completed the application last night :) I have all the specifications aswell.. its says if I dont hear within a month I've been unsuccessful! Fingers crossed

Cx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"