• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

to circumcise or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my insurance would have paid for it,depends on what insurance you have and plan

I have heard it's nice to do whatever the father has. That way he won't wonder if he doesn't look like his father down there ;). Honestly, I don't think the decision is up to your mom really. It should be completely up to you and your husband. I don't think it's gross or there's anything wrong with not having it done. It's a tough decision but I think you should go with your gut and ignore you mom.

Good luck with your decision!

some statistics from the US on circumcision...
It apparently varies a LOT depending on where you are in the country! (western US does it much less than other regions) Data is through 2006 so there have been a few years where trends may have changed a bit.
https://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/USA/

I know this is a sensitive subject, but I wanted to start a thread about it and see what you ladies think. Hopefully it will stay pleasant and friendly!! Sorry if TMI about my life. lol

My mom is adamant about circumcision. She tells me it's the only way to go for health reasons, cleanliness, etc.

OH is not circumcised. It's not common in the country where he is from. He is a very clean person down there, so I know it's possible for a guy to keep his junk clean. lol. Also, he has no health issues.

We've talked about whether to have our baby circumcised or not. OH is leaning toward not having it done, but says the final decision is up to me (grrrrr). I asked him did other guys in the locker room in high school ever say anything and he said no. He said guys don't really look at each other's stuff for fear of being called gay.

I've also talked to my mom and she says not circumcising is gross.

I can honestly say that I have been with an uncircumcised penis and a circumcised penis and either way is okay with me as long as the guy washes himself.

This is such a hard decision to make. What if we have him circumcised and he wonders why he is different from his father?

I just don't know what to do.

I would just suggest doing your research. People can go back and forth all day long on their reasons why you should or shouldn't do it. There is no right or wrong answer. I have a son and I did have it done and if this baby is a boy I will have it done again. Good luck on your search for what to do :)

If we have a boy I definitely won't circumcise him. We think the idea of circumcising females is absolutely horrifying, so I don't see how removing part of a boy's genitals is any different. I think it is pretty cruel for a number of reasons - first it is painful (my mom said getting my brother circumcised was horrible and he screamed and she regrets doing it to this day), second it removes thousands of their nerve endings that makes sex more pleasurable, and third it is forcing your will upon your child and they get no say in the decision.
Most of the arguments for circumcision are plain false or based on poorly done studies. For example, people say circumcision reduces their chance of cancer, when really uncircumcised guys are only .2% more likely to get penile cancer, so that is not a statistically significant result.

I don't think that people who circumcise their sons are terrible people or anything, I just think a lot of it is done based on misinformation.

If we have a boy I definitely won't circumcise him. We think the idea of circumcising females is absolutely horrifying, so I don't see how removing part of a boy's genitals is any different. I think it is pretty cruel for a number of reasons - first it is painful (my mom said getting my brother circumcised was horrible and he screamed and she regrets doing it to this day), second it removes thousands of their nerve endings that makes sex more pleasurable, and third it is forcing your will upon your child and they get no say in the decision.
Most of the arguments for circumcision are plain false or based on poorly done studies. For example, people say circumcision reduces their chance of cancer, when really uncircumcised guys are only .2% more likely to get penile cancer, so that is not a statistically significant result.

I don't think that people who circumcise their sons are terrible people or anything, I just think a lot of it is done based on misinformation.

:thumbup: Couldn't agree more!

At the end of the day, I was fine with either doing it or not and left it up to my OH to decide because he has the same 'part'. He wanted his son to be circumcised, same as he was, so we had it done. I was there for the procedure when he was only 1 day old and it's really not as big a deal as some make it out to be. He's cried worse and been more upset by a diaper change or water on his face than from being circumcised.
Do the research and then make your decision.

im from the UK and as you most probs know its not the done thing here, unless done for medical reasons. i have a son and never once did that pop into my head when i was planning things for his birth and shortly afterwards. I dont think it is a cleanliness issue in my eyes and you learn children to clean themselves so they do. A circumcised boy still can be unclean and untidy down there by not washing, so i dont think that would solve any issue for me. In my eyes a boy is born with a foreskin so leave it there! I know your mother is expressing her views to you but make sure she dosnt sway you either way, i really wouldnt like to be in your position!

May i ask a question here? This could sound naive but iv just done a quick google and come up with not a lot, so why do little boys 'have' to be circumcised and not little girls? i dont want to start a whole new debate just dont understand it at all?

also watching my LO have his heal prick was upsetting enough for a new mother so i couldnt choose to put the extra pain on him for no reason!

If I ever had a boy, circumcision wouldn't even cross my mind. I have seen photos of a procedure being done and the baby's face was the most upsetting thing. Teach your child how to clean his foreskin properly and the hygiene issue wll be resolved without invasive surgery :)

I have heard that if you nurse the baby during the procedure, they don't fuss about it as much... just saying like the other girl did.. some kids scream bloody murder when being bathed...
Also.. they do seem to be more for using a local anesthetic (sp?) than they used to... and I'm pretty sure being squeezed through the birth canal hurts too! (broken bones, bruises etc --- BUT I do acknowledge that birth is a 'necessary' pain and circumcision is not a NEED).

As for why boys 'need' it and girls don't? Well of course they don't need it.. but later in life some will have tearing or retraction issues ... girls will never need it for any medical reason (that I've heard of!). So their foreskin is more troublesome than the girl bits.

People will find research to backup whatever side of the fence they are on when it comes to a topic like this, all i will say, is do your research properly and discuss it with your family, as ultimatley it is your decision and it needs to be something that you are all comfortable with :)

Hmmmm....here's another thought (brought on by the boy/girl circ thing). I've been with both, as I said. If you cut...they lose some sensitivity. This is a gross thing to think about it being your son we're talking about. But there's a correlation between removing joy for girls and reducing joy for boys by doing the cut. Seems a bit mean?

As I said, my decision on the subject is super easy so this is for discussion purposes only - not a judgment in ANY way.

lisaf- i dont think i put it too well, if a girl dosnt 'need' it then why does a boy? not many men actually do need a circumcision due to the foreskin being too tight or any other medical issues. In the US it seems a very done thing for boys but no-one ever says shall i get my little girl to have a circumcision, many people are outraged at the thought of girls so why not boys?

Could I do this to my brand new baby?

https://www.medicalvideos.us/videos/253/

No. I can't even get through the video.

Over the years it has become stuck in peoples heads that female circumcision is just horrific but circumcising a boy is completely different.

Other people consider both to be genital mutilation.

People base their decisions on what they have seen or heard. And as someone said, it's very 50/50 on this subject and depends on where you live.
So for the UK, circumcision is pretty much unheard of unless medically necessary.. So babies born today in England will generally be uncircumcised.
For the US, it would seem fairly common and babies still continue to be circumcised because that is the norm.

Either way... No one should be influenced by anyone else but as said before.. Always made an educated and informed decision :thumbup:!

what religions are the ones that require circumcision? OH is from a Catholic background, and I'm from a Baptist background, although neither of us really follow those religions too closely.

We're getting our son circumcised hopefully. Ours is mainly due to religious reasons and we have looked at pros and cons of it, but are still happy to go through with it. The two main religions that I've heard of requiring circumcision are Judaism and Islam. Being a Muslim I know its not an absolute requirement. You would still be a Muslim even if you had the foreskin but its just better to get it done. Don't think I've ever heard about it being a requirement in Christianity.

I am having a boy and haven't even really thought about this.....

I mean, I just assumed we would have it done. I have never seen one that's not circumsized...... I think it's pretty common to have it done where I live. I hadn't thought about not having it done....

But, if my mom or mother in law asked me about whether or not I was doing it, I would think that was an odd question and none of their business..... I wouldn't let what they thought influence my decision at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back