To Cord Blood Bank or Not to Cord Blood Bank

Diana3

Reaction score
Hi Ladies, I wonder if anyone else is having a dillema about whether to do cord blood banking or not. On one hand, my doctor said that it's a good idea, on the other hand, I've been reading about it and apparently cord blood from private banks is hardly ever used and nobody really knows how long it's viable for. Also read about something called Delayed Cord Clamping, where the cord is cut only after the blood stops pulsating and that way the baby gets more iron and more blood (apparently it takes about 3 minutes as opposed to cutting the cord right away) which is beneficial, but that is not possible if you decide to do cord blood collection for banking. So I'm now totally confused. Did any of you ladies do/planning to do either cord blood banking or the delayed cord clamping? What are your opinions and experiences?

I would have considered cord blood donation, but my hospital doesn't offer it. Banking it myself would be a big expense, with very little chance of it paying off. I'm doing delayed clamping instead. Free with a clear benefit beats expensive with a vague possible gain.

We are considering donating the blood to a public bank. The blood will then be used to help other people if they are a match. In the information we got, it said that the blood is rarely used for your own baby: if your own baby would get sick, they wouldn't use it's own cells because chances are the illness is already be present in the DNA and they would rather use donor cells.
I was wondering about the delayed cord clamping though. If you can't have both, I think I might go with the delayed cord clamping? I'm not sure yet...

I'm donating it. It goes to a public cord blood bank in Canada. It gets discarded anyway, may as well donate it and hope it helps someone. :thumbup:

I donated it to a public bank since it was a free service provided by the hospital. All I had to do was sign some paperwork, and I liked the fact that some baby out there might have benefited from it. :flower:

I'm donating it. It goes to a public cord blood bank in Canada. It gets discarded anyway, may as well donate it and hope it helps someone. :thumbup:

No, it doesn't get discarded. It's your baby's blood, and if you don't cut the cord until it stops pulsing or until after you birth the placenta, the blood will go back to your baby. About 30% of your baby's entire blood volume is in the cord and placenta at birth, and if you cut the cord immediately, that blood is lost and your baby is more likely to be anemic. 30% is huge, and you can't donate blood if you choose to delay cutting the cord.

Delayed cord clamping (or as I think it should be called, physiological cord clamping) will benefit your baby much, much more compared to banking the blood -- which only has an extremely tiny chance of mattering in the future. Delayed cord clamping will have an immediate and positive effect every single time though. It's your baby's blood after all, not something to be "discarded."

I decided against it last time due to costs. I think I won't this time either.

Donating to the public cord bank is free and just requires some paper work. We got a certificate and DD got a onesie for donating.

What if there are no donation options nearby, like in my case?

My local hospitals don't offer it and I'm going for a home birth anyway this time. I think in the UK unless there is a good reason they delay cord clamping in natural births anyway but it was something I was planning to discuss at my next appointment.

I was planning on doing it for DS2, until I got to the hospital room and they told me they needed to take something like 6 vials of my blood right then, as in while I was in labour. Giving blood samples can make me faint and feel sick and I just couldn't handle that.. If I had a slow labour especially if I had to lie down with an epidural anyway it would have been fine, but I was med-free and gave birth less than an hour after checking into the hospital. Don't let that dissuade you though, it could have been just my hospital's policy to take the mother's blood samples too, I have no idea! As it turned out it wouldn't have worked out anyway because I gave birth so fast they didn't have any clamps ready :)

Thanks Ladies! The more I read about it, the more I'm leaning towards doing the delayed cord clamping instead of cord blood banking. My doctor said they now wait one minute at the hospital before clamping the cord and that it is beneficial to the baby, but I read waiting 2-3 minutes to clamp it is even better. The dr said it depends on how the labor goes and if there's no risk of maternal hemorraging, then they can do that.

If you don't hemorrhage, the very best thing is to wait until after you birth the placenta. That's what my midwives do as a standard.

With my first birth at home, I did hemorrhage so they cut the cord after about 5 minutes. You can wait to see whether there are any signs of hemorrhage before cutting it. With my second birth, I didn't so we waited until after I birthed the placenta.

Check out physiological vs active management of the third stage. I'm guessing your doctor wants to do active management, but there are benefits for doing it physiologically.

My hospital won't do delayed cord clamping. I asked with dd :( I would do it if I could! They do let us donate though!

If you don't hemorrhage, the very best thing is to wait until after you birth the placenta. That's what my midwives do as a standard.

With my first birth at home, I did hemorrhage so they cut the cord after about 5 minutes. You can wait to see whether there are any signs of hemorrhage before cutting it. With my second birth, I didn't so we waited until after I birthed the placenta.

Check out physiological vs active management of the third stage. I'm guessing your doctor wants to do active management, but there are benefits for doing it physiologically.

Interesting. It's my first baby so I don't know much about the details, and the birth will be at a hospital. How long did it take with your second baby? How long does it typically take for the placenta to come out? I am not sure if they would be willing to wait longer than 2-3 minutes at the hospital to clamp the cord..

My hospital won't do delayed cord clamping. I asked with dd :( I would do it if I could! They do let us donate though!

It's your choice. They can't make you cut the cord early, even if they say it's policy. You can say "I will be choosing to do this" and they cannot stop you. Of course they let you donate -- they benefit from doing that, but your baby benefits from delayed cord clamping. (Yes, I'm a bitter person!)

Interesting. It's my first baby so I don't know much about the details, and the birth will be at a hospital. How long did it take with your second baby? How long does it typically take for the placenta to come out? I am not sure if they would be willing to wait longer than 2-3 minutes at the hospital to clamp the cord..

It can take up to an hour or more to birth the placenta physiologically, and that's completely normal, there's no reason to rush it unless you're bleeding profusely. I did it that way both times. With my first birth, it took about 15 minutes. With my second birth, it took 30 minutes. There was no rush, I just cuddled my baby until I felt the urge to push it out, and I just stood up in the tub and pushed it out while nursing him. Nursing helps bring on the contractions to birth the placenta. Like I said above, it is YOUR choice how long you wait -- your autonomy overrides hospital policies, but they like to make you think that you don't have a choice. You do.

At the birth centre where I had my son and where I will hopefully have this baby delayed cord clamping is standard practice. They also encouraged me to deliver the placenta naturally but they had a cut off point of about twenty minutes after which they told me it was procedure to give the injection. I was advised to go straight for the injection this time as I didn't deliver it quick enough last time but I am unsure why they have a twenty minute cut off or what the risks are if any, in leaving it longer.

You may find this to be helpful: https://midwifethinking.com/2011/02/10/cord-blood-collection-confessions-of-a-vampire-midwife/

I would always, always do delayed (otherwise known as optimal) cord clamping rather than donate to a bank. I think maybe it feels nice to think someone else might benefit from your donation and there's nothing bad about that, but the reality is that someone can benefit from that blood - your baby. No sense putting them at risk of anemia and putting their bodies under extra strain in the first few days of life producing so much new blood because they don't have enough just for the sake of being altruistic. It's a nice thought and I think people do donate are well-meaning, but there isn't enough education on how important it is to not cut the cord to early, particularly in settings where hospitals make a lot of money from arranging cord blood donations.

In the article above, she cites a really interesting guideline that newborn babies aren't allowed to have blood draws over 14mls in any 24 hour period. When she was doing cord blood collections, she often collected about 90mls of blood to be banked - that's 90mls of your baby's blood that they are missing, even when they aren't technically supposed to have a draw of over 14ml for safety reasons. That's a lot! Basically, if you wouldn't consent to someone drawing 1/3 of your baby's blood out of their bodies to donate it to a blood bank, you also shouldn't feel comfortable with it coming from the cord or placenta.

And you always can have delayed clamping (unless you are bleeding out and unconscious, which rarely happens in the first 3 minutes after birth anyway, even if it is going to happen). You can have it if baby needs oxygen or resus. In fact, it's better to leave the cord attached if baby isn't breathing right away because they still get all the oxygen they need from the placenta, if you cut the cord, then you cut off their oxygen supply. You can have it even if you don't plan to have a physiological 3rd stage. You don't need the injection right away even if that's your choice. You can wait until the cord empties. You also don't have to do something just because it's some doctor's silly policy. It's your baby. You get to make the rules about what gets done to them and no one has the right to deny you that. You just tell them that's what you're doing and put it in writing in advance. They can't perform any procedure without your consent on you or your baby. So you do what you want!

In my case, I left the cord intact for just over an hour while we waited for the placenta to come away. It didn't, so then we clamped and cut it, and then I had the injection. The placenta came an hour and 25 minutes after birth. No problems and it was really lovely to have that hour to relax and not have people fussing over me. I told the midwives that's what we were doing and it was hands off for an hour, unless there was an emergency, and that's what they did.

I totally agree, MindUtopia, but early cord clamping is generally regarded as one of the components of active management, so most OBs who practice it are probably going to insist on early clamping. It's still your right to refuse and nobody can make you do it due to silly "policy" as you say. You can still do delayed (or optimal) cord clamping -and- also be administered oxytocin and uterine massage if need be (which is what I did with my first when I hemorrhaged -- her cord was cut after about 5-6 minutes since I was bleeding quite badly, then I was given oxytocin and uterine massage) but if your OB is a proponent of active management then be wary of immediate cord clamping.

Wow I just learned A LOT from reading this thread! I didn't realize there was such a big difference in how long the cord is attached to baby. If it has that much of babies blood in it, why do they insist on cutting it so quickly? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I just don't know anything about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->