To induce or not?

Teabella

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm now overdue and I need to decide whether to go for an induction at 41 weeks and 5 days if my baby hasn't arrived by that time. Does anyone have any links to good sites/studies that will help me weigh up the pros & cons?

Thanks

Have you watched "The Business of Being Born"? It is very against induction, so it's a little one sided, but it is full of facts! I wish I had watched it before I had my son via "emergency" C-section b/c I would have known more! Inductions can take days & more times than not lead to c-sections b/c the baby is simply not ready. I bet you your baby comes on his/her own before or by 42 weeks!

p.s.- I'm impressed the doctor is waiting until 41 weeks 5 days :) A lot of doctors just say "Okay, we will schedule induction at 41 weeks." I wish I had a sight to send you to, but I bet you can find clips of "The Business of Being Born" on youtube :)

I've always said I wouldn't be induced, and I think I would stand by that as I can't bear the thought of being strapped to a bed, but I know if I went far past 40+10, I would really struggle with my decision.
Risk wise, you are MUCH more likely to end up with a c-section. The risk stillborn wise doubles, which sounds scary, but it doubles from 0.2% to 0.4%, and only at the 43 week mark. So the risk is really tiny.
I would always opt for the monitoring if you are offered it, and go from there x

Thanks. I'll take a look.

I'm really hoping she comes before I reach the induction date so I don't need to make the decision :) It's a really difficult one because part of me just wants to trust my body and let her come when she's ready, but then there's the risk averse side of me that's worried about becoming one of the statistics. Such a difficult decision....

p.s.- I'm impressed the doctor is waiting until 41 weeks 5 days :) A lot of doctors just say "Okay, we will schedule induction at 41 weeks." I wish I had a sight to send you to, but I bet you can find clips of "The Business of Being Born" on youtube :)

I don't think it's on there, I've looked for it before. It was just clips I think. It's quite interesting to read about though x

I'm really hoping she comes before I reach the induction date so I don't need to make the decision :) It's a really difficult one because part of me just wants to trust my body and let her come when she's ready, but then there's the risk averse side of me that's worried about becoming one of the statistics. Such a difficult decision....

Are you in the us or uk? x

I've always said I wouldn't be induced, and I think I would stand by that as I can't bear the thought of being strapped to a bed, but I know if I went far past 40+10, I would really struggle with my decision.
Risk wise, you are MUCH more likely to end up with a c-section. The risk stillborn wise doubles, which sounds scary, but it doubles from 0.2% to 0.4%, and only at the 43 week mark. So the risk is really tiny.
I would always opt for the monitoring if you are offered it, and go from there x

yeah, this is exactly where I thought I'd be, but as I get more overdue it becomes harder not to worry about the 0.4%. My midwife did say that there's every chance that the pessary will be enough and I'd avoid the drip - this would mean I could still have an active birth with normal monitoring.

Are you in the us or uk? x

UK

Have a look at this..

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/induction_vh.htm

I would opt for monitoring as well.

I have always said I would refuse induction unless there was a medical reason to get baby out. So if I should go overdue they can monitor me and baby to make sure we're both still happy and healthy. Any sign of that not being the case and that's fine, induce me. Otherwise no.

The process of labour begins when baby sends a signal to the mother that s/he is ready - our babies start labour, not our bodies. Without that, baby isn't ready and induction can be much more painful and a scarier entry to the world than baby should have had.

I would far rather let baby bake as long as s/he wants, and keep an eye on them via monitoring :thumbup:

Thanks for that link Lillian.

Well, I'm not posing a link to info for you, but I will just share my story. With my first, I had to be induced at 41 1/2 wks due to low fluid to the point where they thought baby would be safer on the outside. I had no contractions, no dialation, nothing. They said it would be a process, but for the baby what choice did I have? So i went in at 7 pm at night to start the induction. It was a hell of a process, pitocin all the way and she was born at 7:31 pm vaginally the next night. In case you do have to get induced, ( you never know a medical reason may come up and make the decision for you) there are chances it may lead to c section, but as in my case you may end up having a vaginal birth too! Hoping baby decides to come in the meantime, but if not sending good thoughts your way:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->