To santa or not to santa

lol Dragonfly, yes they turned him red. I think originally St Nicholas was German and wore green. Definitely Victorian times though (lumps of coal! lol) but before that in the UK we had Old Christmas, reflective of the gin house and kept women. The Georgians were far less stuffy than the Victorians. :rofl:

It does sound like your Christmasses were pretty crap. :( I think I cried every year, like on birthdays, too much pressure to have fun! lol But our Christmasses were pretty good. My parents only ever had any money for one year so we didn't get much but my Granny lived at home and there were four of us kids so there were millions of us in the house all day. I love having Christmas at home with Bucky and Byron. We walk the dog, eat when we fancy, watch some TV, whatever, it's so relaxed. We usually have a family get together (my side) on Boxing Day or some other day and that's insane because there are 6 couple plus 8 kids (two on the way), plus my parents. It's always nuts!

I love Santa.

I believed in until sixth grade :rofl: My mom was preparing to tell my little sister and she thought I already knew :haha:

lol Dragonfly, yes they turned him red. I think originally St Nicholas was German and wore green. Definitely Victorian times though (lumps of coal! lol) but before that in the UK we had Old Christmas, reflective of the gin house and kept women. The Georgians were far less stuffy than the Victorians. :rofl:

It does sound like your Christmasses were pretty crap. :( I think I cried every year, like on birthdays, too much pressure to have fun! lol But our Christmasses were pretty good. My parents only ever had any money for one year so we didn't get much but my Granny lived at home and there were four of us kids so there were millions of us in the house all day. I love having Christmas at home with Bucky and Byron. We walk the dog, eat when we fancy, watch some TV, whatever, it's so relaxed. We usually have a family get together (my side) on Boxing Day or some other day and that's insane because there are 6 couple plus 8 kids (two on the way), plus my parents. It's always nuts!

I cried everyone of them to I think, but it was to much expectations and disappointment.

Dragonfly you're breaking my heart here! Give a lady's pregnant hormones a break! :cry:

yeah but now I have william and another one and a cool place so it cant be like them days any more! I go mental with decs and really go all out :)

See to me the tree and the lights are the most important thing (after the whole family bit of course!). I'd much rather celebrate winter solstice than Christmas really. I have much more in common with nature than Christianity. But it is what it is so I'll engage with that. I just don't see that Santa does add anything. I'd rather my kids understood presents is something we by for each other because we care about each other, not something we pretend comes from some random magic guy. It just makes no sense to me. :shrug:

Something we work very hard for too! :thumbup:

I think i'll go down the route of explaining about st nick and that he has helpers to carry out his work at christmas. Gets round a number of issues...

Technically not a lie
No crying because the man in santas grotto has a fake beard
No believing the laws of physics can be broken

I still get a stocking from santa at christmas :haha:

Plus then you can blackmail with "he wont bring you anything nice unless your good" and you dont look like the bad guy :)

OK, not trying to sound like a bitch here..promise!, but just a question to ponder as it seems that some of you have had some not-so-great Christmas'...do you think you would feel differently if you had wonderful experiences? And, if you think so...then do you think you may be transferring your feelings and experiences on your child without letting them make their own? Just food for thought...

OK, not trying to sound like a bitch here..promise!, but just a question to ponder as it seems that some of you have had some not-so-great Christmas'...do you think you would feel differently if you had wonderful experiences? And, if you think so...then do you think you may be transferring your feelings and experiences on your child without letting them make their own? Just food for thought...

I had fantastic christmases even though we knew santa wasn't real. I think everyone transfers their feelings and experiences onto their children to some degree, whether they had good or bad experiences. I also think that people that have had bad experiences will go all out to ensure that their children have the best experiences possible.

Well I wont be transferring crap Christmases on to my child, totally the opposite. I feel like a big child enjoying it all now where as I didnt for a good few of them from an early age. I just want my son and bean 2 to enjoy it, think thats what any parent would want their child's happiness no matter what way they choose to do it santa or not.

Well I can't remember when I grew out of believing in Santa. But I don't remember any trauma being involved, so I must of been of an older age I suppose. I will definately be telling Ella Santa is real. I'm hoping that there won't be any nasty kids that will tell her that he's not real, although I did think I could try and tell her they say that he's not real because they were naughty and Santa bought them a lump of coal, so they tell other kids he's not real to be mean. If, in the future, my kids/ future kids have a large age gap and the older ones don't believe, I'll tell them that if the spoil the magic for the little ones, then that means no more Santa presents for them! :lol: Santa visited me until I left home at 18! :lol:

i never got told santa wasn't real. i grew out if it, so i was never heartbroken and my xmas memories were never ruined.

i will definitely be talking to aiden about santa, but i will not tell him he is not real. i will let him grow out of it in his own time.

Well I can't remember when I grew out of believing in Santa. But I don't remember any trauma being involved, so I must of been of an older age I suppose. I will definately be telling Ella Santa is real. I'm hoping that there won't be any nasty kids that will tell her that he's not real, although I did think I could try and tell her they say that he's not real because they were naughty and Santa bought them a lump of coal, so they tell other kids he's not real to be mean. If, in the future, my kids/ future kids have a large age gap and the older ones don't believe, I'll tell them that if the spoil the magic for the little ones, then that means no more Santa presents for them! :lol: Santa visited me until I left home at 18! :lol:

Haha...I have a similar story for Jasper if someone tells him Santa isn't real...I am going to say that the child is just naughty and doesn't get presents from Santa...and so that is why he thinks Santa isn't real. That should teach those little brats from being spoil-sports.

It was asked what did santa add to christmas? well i guess somebody who never believed would never understand. the excitement of leaving a glass of milk and a mincepie for santa, writing the letter they are my fondest memories of christmas as a child. having santa doesn't make christmas any more or less commercial anyway, 'santa' used to bring my mum an apple and orange, it's just the anticipation and traditions around it that make santa great

My second daughter is 8 and started doubting a year ago. Bit annoying as I found the ' you had better behave yourself as Christmas elves are watching and will tell Santa if you are naughty' quite useful!

LOL .... my kids (21, 19 and 17) STILL get the 'Santa won't come if you're naughty' .... along with 'Santa doesn't visit messy bedrooms' (because I can't be arsed with tripping over cups etc when I deliver their stockings - yes I still do them stockings :blush: )

Of course they know that Santa doesn't exist, but it's still fun even now :D :happydance:

I had no trama involved when I was told santa wasn't real. I knew about the real meaning of christmas and so will Aidan

But my fondest memories are leaving the mince pie out. The excitment of rushing down the stairs and seeing if santa had been. Going to see santa and sitting on his knew. Feeling so special that santa was talking to me. My most trasured gift was a doll's house from santa and the elves. Yes I knew chirstmas was about jesus but I think santa just brings the magic alive.
xx

Well from what I learned from this thread growing out of it seems so much better than dropping a bomb shell on a very young child.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->